Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with leather tailoring

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have half-a-dozen one-of-a-kind leather garments I bought 2nd hand and I'd like to see if I can alter them. It would be worth it. For instance, one is a 1940s antelope rough-out handmade sport coat, great: except I hate the collar. Another is a heavyweight elk blazer from the early 60s that I'd like "taken in." And so on. Is this kind of thing possible? I've asked around, tailors, shoemakers, and I get "iffy" looks and unenthusiastic responses. Perhaps they are afraid to "mess it up." What kind of expert am I looking for? Thanks, Mark

Charlie74

Familiar Face
Your best bet might be to find a local leather shop. I had some leather garmets that needed altering that I found at a consignment shop and since they did not cost a great deal took them to a leather shop.

The shop specialized in let's say, adult merchandize, but the person who altered my garments did a fantastic job

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I haven't had extensive tailoring done on leather jackets, only minor work; replacing the knit cuffs and waistband on an A-2 or G-1, shortening and tapering the sleeves, and sewing on patches. The tailor shop where I take my jackets has four seamstresses, but only one specializes in tailoring leather.

My advice is to call different shops in your area until you find someone who specializes in leather. One resource are stores that sell motorcycle leather apparel, they usually know a tailor who can do alterations.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
If you can possibly get a look at a few things the tailor altered, it might help once you've found a tailor to confirm they do a decent job. I'd hate to see you trust those jackets to a hack.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
If you have a reasonable idea of what you want done, try an upholsterer, they have heavy duty sewing machines and can do what you ask.....

Respectfully, [huh] being able to do upholstery and "tailoring" a leather jacket would seam (pun intended) to be two different skills. just because an upholsterer or a cobbler has a machine that'll sew leather, it doesn't mean they can or will do alterations on a leather garment, I'm pretty sure those are each special skill sets.

In my case, even though the other ladies in the shoppe use the heavy duty sewing machine for clothing, etc., only one knows how to use the machine to tailor leather properly.

You might try googling tailors in your area for starters:

Leather Outlet
121 W Chelten Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19144
(215) 849-3090

Giuseppe's Tailor Shop
1911 Susquehanna Rd
Abington, PA 19001
(215) 885-5996
Alterations for Men & Women, Dry Cleaning, Fur and Leather Repair and Cleaning

dr greg

One Too Many
depends on what's to be done

WITH RESPECT, I've had several leather coats and jackets repaired by my local upholsterer, because
A I know what can and can't be done by his machine
B he's a reasonable guy who charges very little for something that is no doubt a break from routine for him....

apba1166

A-List Customer
I've been googling away based on the suggestions. I'll make some calls this week. Both the idea of asking a local bike shop for a recommendation--and trying to dig up an "adult" leather place are good ideas I think. In my experience, an artisan doing a lot of one thing often jumps at the chance of doing another and has the skills for it.

I've been through a bunch of tailors. The one I picked for sleeves (to both shorten and narrow), he didn't think it would be a big deal...$40, a few days....he ended up sending it out, still don't have it back (2 months). Old, heavy steer...needed a heavier machine than he even had for his leather. Maybe he sent it to the upholsterer! Two of the jackets are thick like that.

Mak

442RCT

One of the Regulars
apba1166 said:
Maybe he sent it to the upholsterer! Two of the jackets are thick like that.
Mak

I found out that Betsy Ross was an upholsterer...;)

"We all know Betsy as a seamstress. After all, she sewed the first flag, right? Well, maybe or maybe not, but that comes later. In truth, after her schooling, Betsy undertook an apprenticeship under John Webster - one of the city's best-known upholsterers! No doubt part of her job involved learning to sew, but she also learned to repair chairs, curtains, rugs and even umbrellas."
:eek:fftopic:

Whithead

Familiar Face
Recommeded leather tailor

I have used these folks for replacing the zipper and tapering the lower sleeves on a Wested INDY type goatskin jacket and was very impressed with the quality of work and the turn around time.

http://withoutatrace.com/

The even called when they got the jacket to discuss things.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I had an estimate for a repair from Without-a-Trace some years ago---and they seemed reliable, but I'm going to try someone local first. I like the idea of bringing the stuff in and working through some of the issues w/someone because they may have a better idea. I'm limited to just what I see and know...but they have seen all kinds of options and solutions. Thanks, Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy