Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I sell my suit and buy a leather jacket?

lthr

New in Town
Today I was thinking, and I had an idea: what if I sold my suit and bought a leather jacket instead? Reasoning is that I'm not using the suit much, in fact, I only wore it a couple of times. Even though I love wearing it and a I love how it fits me. It's a high-quality suit tailored very well, I believe it's made from S130 wool, or was it S120? It can even be adjusted (as I said - decent tailoring).

Anyway, I love it and wearing it, I just don't have where to go with it, and I'm not sure when I will have the opportunity to use it more... I'd love to be able to put on a fedora (don't have one) and a suit on a regular basis, or at least a blazer and a pair of jeans or khakis (don't have either, at least not the kind of jeans that I like).

...Whereas a leather jacket would be way more versatile - it can be used even in a corporate with a dress shirt and jeans underneath as business casual. Even khakis and a dress shirt would work with a leather suit, pretty much anywhere but the most conservative environments... As well as for every-day use when just going for a walk or to the store, whereas you can't use a suit for that because a) it takes a lot of effort to put everything on and take it off, b) people where I live look sideways to you if you're wearing a suit and aren't in the mid-city area (which is not where I live and I don't go there that often), c) it'll wear up pretty quickly from continuous use.

Right now it's not worn at all, it's clean and ready to be worn, packed in a suit bag that came with it, hanging on a hanger that also came with it. I think it'd make sense to sell it and buy a leather jacket, and - if I have any money left - a pair of jeans that I actually want to wear.

However, I can't just sell it with good consciousness without first talking about it or discussing it. I thought a forum full of 'classical'/'old-school' clothing lovers would be much better than anybody I know who looks sideways to anyone with a suit or a blazer or even a dress shirt unless it's a wedding. Having said that, I'm not entirely sure what kind of replies I expect, to be honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24