Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with this cigar tool, please

Slim Portly

One Too Many
This is advertised as a "cigar piercing tool," but I can't figure out exactly what it is intended to do. There does not appear to be any blade for cutting the cap of the cigar, and the piercing part would not enter the length of the cigar as with traditional reaming tools but rather it would seem intended to pierce a hole from side-to-side just below the cap. Has anyone ever seen a tool that pierces a cigar in this fashion, or do you suppose that this is a tool intended for another purpose altogether?

16822083213.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I may be waaay out in left field but here goes. If you get the most taste of the cigar from the roof of your mouth then maybe that is meant to punch cut the side so you can position it toward the roof of your mouth and in theory send the taste straight to your palate.

Just a wild guess;)
I in no way endorse listening to my advice or theory.:rolleyes: [huh]

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Indycop, I do understand the point of your speculation. I often cut a cigar at an angle and smoke it with the exposed cut toward the top of my mouth for this very reason. I would think that a piercing tool that was designed to achieve this same end would enter the cigar at an angle but terminate somewhere in the center of the cigar. The tool pictured here, on the other hand, would not only draw smoke to the top of the palate through one hole, but also directly onto the tongue through the other. Or to each side of the mouth, should one rotate the cigar 90 degrees to port or starboard. Very confusing.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Wow, I have absolutely never seen a device like that. Curious. You have raised solid points both Indy and Slim. I too will cut torpedo or belicoso shaped cigars at an angle, but this small piercing seems odd. I would gather that all of the tar and nicotine would build up at just those small points of egress, which would be a terrible smoke, at least IMHO. I can't say that I would risk a good cigar using it, sorry to say.
But, interesting find nonetheless Slim!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Yes, or olive pitter as well. The object could almost rest on the left hand portion of the scissor, with the pit being driven out from right to left... hmmm

Nice observation there Miss Elise if I may say. :eusa_clap

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:
Yes, or olive pitter as well. The object could almost rest on the left hand portion of the scissor, with the pit being driven out from right to left... hmmm

Nice observation there Miss Elise if I may say. :eusa_clap

If it was a pitter/pipper, then wouldn't the holder/hole need to be turned inward 90 degrees from its current attitude..? The pit/pip needs a place to go.

I say it IS a cigar piercer(I know nothing about cigars) and that the photo doesn't quite tell the truth. The piercing "probe" looks like it's solid in the photo but I say it's actually half-round (side facing away from us is open)in section and sharp, then it would serve as a piercer- I've seen a similar action before(as opposed to the guillotine style) but not in a scissor style.
It looks like the depth of the holder is actually quite shallow and would facilitate piercing the very end of the cigar.

B
T

miss_elise

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
If it was a pitter/pipper, then wouldn't the holder/hole need to be turned inward 90 degrees from its current attitude..? The pit/pip needs a place to go.
true, that's why i said it only looked a bit like one...

have we done google research on this one?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
I say it IS a cigar piercer(I know nothing about cigars) and that the photo doesn't quite tell the truth. The piercing "probe" looks like it's solid in the photo but I say it's actually half-round (side facing away from us is open)in section and sharp, then it would serve as a piercer- I've seen a similar action before(as opposed to the guillotine style) but not in a scissor style.
It looks like the depth of the holder is actually quite shallow and would facilitate piercing the very end of the cigar.
Ah, so maybe it cuts a sort of shallow trough or channel across the end of the cap, sort of like what a v-cutter does? Interesting thought. Hmm. I really wish I could see this thing in person. Now I actually want to buy it. Darn it, I have to stop buying things. Real soon.

EDIT: Ok, I bought it. When it arrives I'll give it a drive around the block and write up a review. I really, really hope this isn't an olive pitter.

lol

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
miss_elise;) , I was responding to the later posting of rmrdaddy.:rolleyes:

I have a cigar cutter which has a blade which is a "V" shaped channel, which cuts down, through the end of the cigar, leaving a "V" shaped slot:eek: , rather than simply cutting the end off.

:)
B
T

Smuterella

One Too Many
"Before lighting you must, of course, make an opening in the closed end of the cigar to provide a passage for the smoke. scissors shaped blades for this purpose.

Alternatively, you may equip yourself with a pocket cutter which makes a circular or V-shaped vent in the cigar. Some smokers use a piercer which removes a thin core of tobacco from the head. Others use a small sharp knife. If you lack a cutting implement, it is perfectly acceptable to make a small opening with your fingernail or even - if you can do it gracefully - with your teeth. "

from good old google

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Slim Portly said:
Ah, so maybe it cuts a sort of shallow trough or channel across the end of the cap, sort of like what a v-cutter does? Interesting thought. Hmm. I really wish I could see this thing in person. Now I actually want to buy it. Darn it, I have to stop buying things. Real soon.

EDIT: Ok, I bought it. When it arrives I'll give it a drive around the block and write up a review. I really, really hope this isn't an olive pitter.

lol

lol :eusa_clap
Please let us know how it works. I am very curious now.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
"Before lighting you must, of course, make an opening in the closed end of the cigar to provide a passage for the smoke. scissors shaped blades for this purpose.

Alternatively, you may equip yourself with a pocket cutter which makes a circular or V-shaped vent in the cigar. Some smokers use a piercer which removes a thin core of tobacco from the head. Others use a small sharp knife. If you lack a cutting implement, it is perfectly acceptable to make a small opening with your fingernail or even - if you can do it gracefully - with your teeth. "

from good old google
I do most often use a pair of scissors to cut my cigars, and I have been known to use a punch on occasion, but it does seem that his tool is mislabeled as a "piercing" tool. As your quote states, a "core" is made or removed by a traditional piercing tool, which this object would appear not to do. I shall, as promised, give a comprehensive review once my new acquisition arrives including the type, quality, and effectiveness of the cut.

Copper

One of the Regulars
Slim Portly said:
Indycop, I do understand the point of your speculation. I often cut a cigar at an angle and smoke it with the exposed cut toward the top of my mouth for this very reason. I would think that a piercing tool that was designed to achieve this same end would enter the cigar at an angle but terminate somewhere in the center of the cigar. The tool pictured here, on the other hand, would not only draw smoke to the top of the palate through one hole, but also directly onto the tongue through the other. Or to each side of the mouth, should one rotate the cigar 90 degrees to port or starboard. Very confusing.

It rather reminds me of the Peterson 'P-lip' mouthpiece, which does exactly that. I couldn't quickly find a good photo online of one, unfortunately.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
driven_247 said:
Has the eagle landed? I'm curious as to its function. :)
Sadly, it seems to be exactly as it was advertised, a "piercing tool" that creates a shaft perpendicular to the length of the cigar, leaving what would seem to be a perfectly useless opening from one side to the other. Who knows, perhaps this was an experimental step along the line of creating a useful cigar tool? It is also quite small, with the "bowl" barely large enough to cradle the cap of a petite corona. Unfortunately I have, since acquiring this little oddity, found for sale a device which appears to be exactly what most of us assumed this thing to be, a tool in the shape of a small scissors which does indeed cut a notch across the cap. It is also quite small but that seems to have been common for cutting tools of the Victorian - Edwardian eras, at least based on my meager investigations into the subject.

In the first photo here you can see the tool in question in the center, to the left a cigar cutter from the same era to show that the size of the cigars being cut at the time was probably often quite small, and a modern scissors cutter and a Macanudo Prince Phillip with a 49 ring to give an idea of the relative sizes. The second photo is a close-up of the tool showing the piercing aspect.

18615135933.jpg

18615142690.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran