Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henry the Hatter

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Me either, I'm very excited. I was going to send it out to one of the 'big name' guys to get worked on, but I really like supporting the local economy, and here in Detroit every penny that you keep in town helps. That plus HTH was very accomodating when I bought my second felt fedora recently. The felt is kinda thicker than a regular dress fedora normally is, so we will see how it works out. If they do a good job (and I have no doubt they will) I have a 30X El Patron Stetson that cost 5 bills, that I will have them convert also. I tried selling these hats on the Classified, and no is interested, and they are too nice to just sit in a box unworn. I will post after photos when I get them. The hatter suggersted leaving the old band on, for a'one of akind' look, but we will see if it looks good.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me either, I'm very excited. I was going to send it out to one of the 'big name' guys to get worked on, but I really like supporting the local economy, and here in Detroit every penny that you keep in town helps. That plus HTH was very accomodating when I bought my second felt fedora recently. The felt is kinda thicker than a regular dress fedora normally is, so we will see how it works out. If they do a good job (and I have no doubt they will) I have a 30X El Patron Stetson that cost 5 bills, that I will have them convert also. I tried selling these hats on the Classified, and no is interested, and they are too nice to just sit in a box unworn. I will post after photos when I get them. The hatter suggersted leaving the old band on, for a'one of akind' look, but we will see if it looks good.

When I talked to Greeley Hat Works about work on some of my fedoras, Jay there mentioned getting a fedora made by them with Western felt, which is thicker. He thought it would be very good. I want to try that at some point. But I've got a lot of potential hats in the queue right now.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Well, my other two fedoras are 2 1/2 and 2 3/8 bimms, both Biltmores. I really like the medium brim length. The hatter said it would lower the crown quite a bit going to a tear drop bash, as was pointed out already.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I have finally got off my duff, and took one of my western style felt hats to HTH for a conversion. I am having the brim trimmed to 2.5 inches, it reblocked, cleaned, and bashed to a teardrop. I left it with paul, and it should be ready in a week or so. Here are a couple of before photos. wish me (them) luck!

66983-s-0.jpg

66984-s-0.jpg

66985-s-0.jpg

OK, an update! I received a call today from one of the gents at HTH, seems their 'hatter' is not confident enough that he can do what I wanted, so they are returning the hat to me (ok, well, I have to pick it up). Oh well, nothing ventured, nothng gained.

OK, an update! I received a call today from one of the gents at HTH, seems their 'hatter' is not confident enough that he can do what I wanted, so they are returning the hat to me (ok, well, I have to pick it up). Oh well, nothing ventured, nothng gained.

That is weird. I've done that much to a few Resistols. Send it to Major Moore. After what he did that 100X Stetson, your lid should be a piece of cake.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Yeah, well, I went in and asked for a 'renovation', which they advertise as disassemble, clean, reblock, replace any worn parts, etc, and instead, they told me they could rebash it, and trim the brim. They also told me today that the hatter was afraid that he could not get the brim to 'snap' and I would be dissatisfied. I guess I will do it myself, and I really don't want to conduct hat bussiness over the mail.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I took a Stetson Wrangler western type hat to Henry's. They trimmed the brim to 2.5 inches, removed and replaced the sweat, cleaned ithe felt, installed a nice contrasting ribbon (real vintage ribbon by the way) reblocked it, then Joedahat creased it and custom fit it to my head! I was so pleased, I was almost like a kid on Christmas morning with a new bike! I am taking another Stetson, this one a 30X El Patron to them tomarrow, and let them work their majic. some before and after photos! Detroit really has a first class hatter!
BTW, when they finished it, the felt was as soft as can be, though thick, it's very soft!

66983-m-0.jpg

66982-s-0.jpg

66984-s-0.jpg

AFTER:

71255-m-0.jpg

71254-m-0.jpg

71256-m-0.jpg

71257-m-0.jpg

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I took a Stetson Wrangler western type hat to Henry's. They trimmed the brim to 2.5 inches, removed and replaced the sweat, cleaned ithe felt, installed a nice contrasting ribbon (real vintage ribbon by the way) reblocked it, then Joedahat creased it and custom fit it to my head! I was so pleased, I was almost like a kid on Christmas morning with a new bike! I am taking another Stetson, this one a 30X El Patron to them tomarrow, and let them work their majic. some before and after photos! Detroit really has a first class hatter!
BTW, when they finished it, the felt was as soft as can be, though thick, it's very soft!

66983-m-0.jpg

66982-s-0.jpg

66984-s-0.jpg

AFTER:

71255-m-0.jpg

71254-m-0.jpg

71256-m-0.jpg

71257-m-0.jpg

That is a PHENOMINAL piece of work your hatter did !! :) From it's color, crown shape & size and brim width, it looks like your Trench Coat has found it's mate:)

Onward thru the Fog :)

T Rick

Practically Family

66984-s-0.jpg

AFTER:

71255-m-0.jpg

71254-m-0.jpg

That looks great, really happy to hear the good results. But I'm a little confused from reading your earlier post, sounded like they turned the job away before. I ask because I'd been considering some work there myself, and was a little confused by what I was told (at least I hope that's what it was, I'm sort of new to hats in general).

I will say they've been very pleasant when I've been in (Detroit store, and I've dealt with several people from new to experienced, all were very open to sharing knowledge and letting me try on hats and talking hats, without pressuring for a sale). I was impressed with that, just not confident in the proposed work based on some things I heard (and again, might've been my own confusion).

Anyway, this is a great result above!

azhiker

One of the Regulars
We had a misunderstanding. I originally wanted a 'full restoration'.Since my hat was in pristine shape, they were hesitiant about charging me for that service. They were trying to save me unneccessary expence. When I told them, tear the SOB apart, I dont want it like it is, and am willing to pay the quoted $65 for a retoration, then we were on the same page. I also got a chance to meet 'joedahat', the manager, and he assured me there is nothing anyone else can do that he and his staff cant do also. You can see the results! I'll have another one in about 2 weeks to show yall.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Thanks to all...It was only 'my vision', and the hard work of the Hatter at henry's..Charlie, and the creasing by Joedahat that made it all come together. Joe also did the ribbon and a new Stetson sweat!

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Well, here are a few before and after photos of the latest conversion that Henry the Hatter did for me. Joedahat emailed me the after pix this afternoon. he wanted to make sure i like the way he did the ribbon? Duh? I will pick it up tomarrow. He also is going to incorporate the sterling silver Stetson Pin that was on orginal. The after pix is low res, but will post others tomarrow nite!

Before: Stetson 30X El Patron 100% Beaver:
66169-m-0.jpg

66276-m-0.jpg

After Charlie at Henrys reblocked hat, and trimmed brim, then Joedahat sewed sweat back in, added ribbon, shaped brim and recreased. These guys are real old world craftsmen! Brim is 2.5 inches BTW:

71369-m-0.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
That looks really good, I will rethink having them work on my hats (had begun to wonder after a misunderstanding of my own).

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
OK, here is the final deal. I picked this up today. I paid $65 for hat to be disassembled, reblocked, brim trimmed. Then original sweat (it had only been worn twice) reinstall liner, manufactur hat ribbon/custom bow, crease and shape brim. This took a week. Nothing like personal service! The pin was on the Stetson El Patron, its sterling silver, note the 'beaver' on it. I love this hat! Oh yeah, they threw in a Stetson box, as they didnt have to clean my hat.

71379-m-0.jpg

71381-m-0.jpg

71386-m-0.jpg

71384-m-0.jpg

71385-m-0.jpg

71383-m-0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy