Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henry the Hatter

It's a treasure to have them still in existence. Buffalo had a number of menswear retailers, both large and small, whose names appear regularly on FL posts - none of these survive today.

fmw

One Too Many
They are working on my Akubra fedora as we speak and I'm sending them one of my old Stetson westerns for renovation tomorrow. I spoke with Joe today by phone. He is a very customer-oriented person and a good conversationalist. I mentioned the Fedora Lounge and he mentioned the conversion he did for Azhiker. He said his cleaner didn't want to work on such a nice hat but, in the end, it all turned out well. A treasure to be sure.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I found this link very interesting. It expalins allot of our current situation in regards to hats. I have heard some of it before, other stuff is new to me.

https://www.henrythehatterdetroit.com/our-history.html
This sounds much like the situation with New Orleans' Meyer the Hatter, though they've been owned and run by the same family for over 100 years. I dunno if Meyer's was ever a "hat factory" like Henry's, though.

ETA: Their "Churchill Grand Central" is a nice-looking beast. Anybody try one of these?

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
I got a package from Henry the Hatter today. I sent him my "vintage" Akubra Titan. He cleaned and blocked it and replaced the yellowed liner. The brim has more stiffening than when it left here but the crown doesn't seem to. I had to spend a little time steaming out one area of the crown but it didn't take long. All in all, a pleasant experience and my Titan is just like new!

akubrahh.jpg

akubrahhinterior.jpg

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Wow, nice looking hat! They did do a fine job! I am pleased you had a good experience also, especially since you did it by phone/mail! Good luck with your next one!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
According to shipping tracking I should have my Henry the Hatter Borsalino tomorrow. I can't wait. It'll make my third (and last for now) tan colored hat.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
This sounds much like the situation with New Orleans' Meyer the Hatter, though they've been owned and run by the same family for over 100 years. I dunno if Meyer's was ever a "hat factory" like Henry's, though.

ETA: Their "Churchill Grand Central" is a nice-looking beast. Anybody try one of these?

Welcome to the Lounge!
CC

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I got a package from Henry the Hatter today. I sent him my "vintage" Akubra Titan. He cleaned and blocked it and replaced the yellowed liner. The brim has more stiffening than when it left here but the crown doesn't seem to. I had to spend a little time steaming out one area of the crown but it didn't take long. All in all, a pleasant experience and my Titan is just like new!

akubrahh.jpg

akubrahhinterior.jpg

They did a VERY NICE job on a VERY NICE hat !! The sweat looks like new! You have a GREAT hat !

Onward thru the Fog :)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, I got my first Borsalino today and I am really very impressed with the quality, here.

The felt is soft as butter and can hold any shape well. The furnishings are top notch.

And it came in a Bosalino box, too, which I am very happy about.

Plus, it's a Henry the Hatter from Detroit!

Anyone got an idea of the age of this one?

I like it.

5413979970_934ba72fd7.jpg

5413970218_5104ab1030.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've got a soft Resistol Open Road clone that needs a little cleaning atop the crown, and needs to have the front of the sweatband stitched back in. Would Henry's be a good place to send it? If I tell them not to change the blocking (or to block it back the way it was when it arrived), will they do that?

fmw

One Too Many
Henry's would be an excellent place to send it. Give Joe a call. The work is good and the prices are the best I've seen.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hey, fmw,

When I called them this morning, they suggested I send it first and they'd call me. I wasn't asking for a price, since I'm sure they need to see it to evaluate how much it'll be; and I assume what I want will fall between their simple "clean and block" ($25) and their renovation ($65). If the postage isn't too much, would this be worthwhile?

By the way, I sent my Churchill off to Optimo for a brim trim. They cleaned it and rebound the edge -- but then got carried away and bashed it into a teardrop from the simple centerdent I had in it. It looks good, rather like the *new* Stetson Stratoliner, but I would like somebody who can follow instructions!

fmw

One Too Many
Optimo is now $30. I have a pork pie coming back next week that totalled $70 with a new sweatband and shipping. The Akubra above was $45 with Henry with shipping. It included clean, block and a new liner.

fmw

One Too Many
Hey, fmw,

When I called them this morning, they suggested I send it first and they'd call me. I wasn't asking for a price, since I'm sure they need to see it to evaluate how much it'll be; and I assume what I want will fall between their simple "clean and block" ($25) and their renovation ($65). If the postage isn't too much, would this be worthwhile?

By the way, I sent my Churchill off to Optimo for a brim trim. They cleaned it and rebound the edge -- but then got carried away and bashed it into a teardrop from the simple centerdent I had in it. It looks good, rather like the *new* Stetson Stratoliner, but I would like somebody who can follow instructions!

Worthwhile is something you need to decide for yourself. My Akubra came back with exactly the same crease with which it left here. Henry will rebuild a hat completely for $65 including shipping. That's a pretty good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy