Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hideki Okisaka: Master '30s tailor !

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The photo above shows how weirdly costumed that movie was. ("The Godfather, Part II", however, was spot on.)

Look at Brando's suit. Almost certainly vintage. In any case, it looks period correct (the late 1940s). Now, look at his fat-collared shirt and fat tie with the huge long knot. Can you say 1972 (when the film was made)? What's up with that?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You gotta love this new shirt he's offering:

other_img04.jpg

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Marc Chevalier said:
MK, he doesn't provide an e-mail address, but here are his phone numbers (in Tokyo):

Office: 03-3607-3422

Cell phone: 090-8054-5051

Are you thinking of interviewing him for your magazine?

Thanks. I would at the very least give him the opportunity to advertise.

pchong

New in Town
Hi Guys, interesting comments. He doesn't speak a word of English, and if you want to do an interview or something, you would need to be able to speak Japanese or get a translator. As mentioned earlier in my post, Mrs Yamazaki acted as a translator. If you do speak to him, tell him I said hello - he would probably remember the afternoon in my room, with my German friend, him, Mr and Mrs Yamazaki...we were quite an interesting group.

I think the suits look a little too costume-like, and definitely one would strongly stand out in the crowd in these garments.

He is very keen to take on commissions, however. I think somewhere in the lounge is his new website with details on pricing. Have fun.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Amazing stuff. Absolutely amazing.

Look at how well the suits look, when these gentlemen are sitting down. They totally hold their form. In comparison anything you buy off the rack these days looks like a damp cardboard box.

You've got to love the Japanese. When they are in to something, they don't mess around.

I agree that the styles may be a little exaggerated, but there is no reason why he couldn't back off a little.

RC

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i just noticed that in an earlier post in this thread pchong states that Mr. Okisaka is NOT a tailor but a designer. i presume then he gets his suits made up by someone else. this could mean that he might not be willing to alter the proportions of his suits, after all they are his designs, not made to a customers requests.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
as i menioned before, i'd rather use someone who is FANATICAL about the 30s style like Mr. Okisaka, than someone who is indifferent. these are perfect to me apart from the lapel height. so near.

anyway, i'm looking into it. emails have been sent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters