Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High School Senior Pics

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
Hi ~

I haven't been here in quite a while ~ still a great bb!

I have a son who is a senior this year, and pictures should be taken this fall sometime. I cannot stand the 'modern' suits .... just wondering if any of you have suggestions. Should I buy an entire suit and shoes or just a jacket and go for some khaki pants? He is 6'1" 175 pounds. I would appreciate any opinions!

Thanks ~ Kim

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
If it were me, I would buy a full suit. Men's fashions change at a snail's pace compared to ladies, so many tailors today, such as Tip Top and Moore's, sell some absolutely beautiful classic suits with all the trimmings.

Besides, every guy should have at least one suit, for those unexpected occasions like funerals, where the last thing you want to do is drag your son to a fitting!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Men's fashions may not change, but 17 year old boys' bodies do. My grandmother bought me a beautiful suit as a graduation present. It was lovely, but I outgrew it in about a year or two. (It was bought in the spring of 1964. If I still had it, and it fit, I'd win the Mad Men competition hands down.)
So I'd say future use should be weighed against expense. A sport jacket and nice slacks might prove more useful, and be worn more often. And maybe a couple of ties.
A properly fitting shirt would be good. One of the main reasons men hate wearing ties is because they wear shirts with a too small collar. The right collar makes a tie a LOT easier to wear.
How does he feel about such things? Would he tolerate something vintagey?

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
Thanks for your replies! Good insight in both.

Yes, it is a concern he will outgrow something before long. Right now he is very trim because of the activities in which he is involved. Two years from now will he have gained the freshman 10-15-20 ? lol

Right now, since I am footing the bill, he will do whatever just to please me. I just want a 'classic' picture of him - not the 'edgey' pictures kids seem to be into now.

Thanks again!

Foofoogal

Banned
Maybe get one made with some growing room added in.
My sisterinlaw made a very nice suit when honey graduated. Tell your grandson congratulations and study hard. He is almost to the end of the high school line.

Matthew Verge

New in Town
I understand the practicality of adding growing room for a growing boy, but I advise against it. Whether he grows or not, that picture is going to last forever, and he'll look much better if he's wearing clothes that are intended to fit him now - not later.

I'm a little bitter on the subject, though, because I was constantly given clothes as a teenager for when I "grew into them". The result: barely any of my clothes fit. And I didn't change much. I was 5'11 and 135 lbs at age 13, and the only thing that has changed in nine years is about 15 lbs. I still fit into the clothes I've kept.

So I'm biased :p

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MinnieRose no baggy suits.....that boy will be traumatized:eek:

evan-ng-suit.jpg

p_2747365.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot