Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman vs. Half-Belt.....how to decide?

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Greetings!

I am considering the purchase of my first quality leather jacket. I like the look of the Highwayman and Half Belt designs. I am trending towards the thought of a mid-weight HH....I really want a jacket that can be multi-season (I live in Virginia).
What are some considerations/decisions one might have in deciding between these two designs. I am 6'1 and 190. Athletic build. This would be my "go-to" jacket and I would wear it daily.

Thanks so much,
H

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Holdencain and welcome on the Fedora Lounge,
Both jackets are excellent choices and whatever you choose, you will love it. Keep in mind, that once owning a good quality leather jacket, more will follow... ;) . Just choose the jacket you like the most.
Andy

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi holdencain, and welcome to the FL.
Like Andy said, if you get the one Aero you will get at least one more later on.
As a suggestion, get the Highwayman in full weight FQHH with the Alpaca lining. This would serve as a late fall and winter jacket with appropriate layering. I know Richmond can get cold in the winter, but the Highwayman with a flannel shirt and/or sweater would probably be sufficient.
The other Aero could be your Half Belt in mid weight horse with a standard twill or gabardine lining.
Thankfully and hopefully, more members will jump in with their thoughts. I only have the one Aero, a Highwayman with the Alpaca lining in heavy steerhide. I'm working on my second, probably a Half-Belt FQHH.
Good luck with your decision and you really can't go wrong with any of the Aero offerings. Again, Welcome to the Lounge!
Regards, coffee

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
holdencain said:
I am 6'1 and 190. Athletic build.

Your build may indicate that you prefer a closer fitting jacket? If so, be advised that the stock cut of the Highwayman is rather boxy. Some people with athletic builds don't like the stock Highwayman cut because of the additional room in the waist. From what I have seen, the Half Belt seems to have a slimmer cut in the waist.

As for versatility, I live in the northeastern US as well so I opted for a Highwayman in FQHH with alpaca lining for my first Aero. I'm not sure if I would characterize that jacket, even with the alpaca lining, as a deep cold-weather jacket. My opinion only, but I think you should go with a warm lining because the leather itself doesn't do much to insulate you. You can add layers underneath to make the jacket warmer if need be.

Dav

One Too Many
I agree that the Highwayman can be a bit boxy, but isn't that the style. Mine is a size 42 which I pull in at the waist to fit around my 35.5" belted waist size it does make it puff out at the sides but that is how I like it, it means there is room to use the hand warmer pockets when zipped up if it was tight it would not.
As for the once you've owned one Aero you'll will want another I fully concur I've had this one for two months and placed an order today for a second.
Good luck with whichever design you choose I'm sure you'll love it.

Edward

Bartender
holdencain said:
How about the Good Wear Leather Californian Ventura? Is that similar to the 50's Half-Belt?
How does it compare to an Aero?
H

More similar to the 30s Half belt, I would say. John's jackets are beautiful. I'd like one as well as an Aero, though I'm going to have to wait for the value of the pound to go up against the dollar again.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Welcome to the forum, Holdencain. :)

Nice to meet a somewhat local member (I'm a few hours drive from Richmond). I currently have one Aero leather jacket (the NYPD jacket in FQHH that you see in my Avatar with details in my sig) and I have another Aero jacket that was officially ordered today (a jacket that I'll surprise everyone here with when it arrives hopefully in about 10-12 weeks).

I would recommend along with "too much coffee" to go with the FQHH over the midweight horsehide mainly because of the ability of the FQHH jacket to resist water better than the midweight horsehide.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
Your build may indicate that you prefer a closer fitting jacket? If so, be advised that the stock cut of the Highwayman is rather boxy. Some people with athletic builds don't like the stock Highwayman cut because of the additional room in the waist. From what I have seen, the Half Belt seems to have a slimmer cut in the waist.

As for versatility, I live in the northeastern US as well so I opted for a Highwayman in FQHH with alpaca lining for my first Aero. I'm not sure if I would characterize that jacket, even with the alpaca lining, as a deep cold-weather jacket. My opinion only, but I think you should go with a warm lining because the leather itself doesn't do much to insulate you. You can add layers underneath to make the jacket warmer if need be.

Hey Ace... Aero actually offers another version of the Highwayman that isn't as boxy as the traditional one. It's on the Aero website under "Motorcycle Jackets" and it's called the "Zip Sleeve Highwayman". That might be another option for holdencain if he wants the jacket less boxy, or he can just request Aero to make it less boxy based on his size dimensions.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Both the Highwayman and the Half Belt are great classic designs and I'm sure you would be happy with either. However, they do have very different body shapes due to the position of the side straps.

The Highwayman, having the the side straps at the bottom of the jacket, is fuller in the body and as others have mentioned can appear a bit boxy.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/5281279

In contrast, the Half Belt, with the straps at the natural waist, has a more tapered look.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/4731395

Of course, the Goodwear Ventura is even more tapered and fitted.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwcalventura_images2.html

As regards the hide choice, I don't think you can beat the look, feel and smell of heavy front quarter horse. Aero's medium weight hide is nice in warmer weather but it doesn't have that great horsehide smell and the finish has a painted look about it. The Goodwear horsehide might be a good compromise as it has a great look and smell but is a little lighter weight than Aero's heavy horse.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Aero or Goodwear - I think you really need one of each :)

Cheers

I have several HalfBelt Aeros and Highwayman jacket..and like both styles. Funny thing is..I seem to most often grab the Highwayman when rushing out the door. It is such a comfortable jacket to wear. Sure..a somewhat boxier pattern compared to the tapered smooth waist on the HB...but mine isn't baggy or blousey around the waist. I'm 6' 2"..185 lbs.
I also own Aero jackets in several different hides...and don't see where medium weight HH would be much cooler than FQHH. The liner material seems to make the most difference. In my view Aero's FQHH makes it uniquely an Aero. Nothing like it.
HD

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I'm with Hoosier.
Now that my Highwayman has finally broken in, it's
the most comfortable jacket I've ever owned.
I also don't find it too boxy.
Certainly more boxy than my Vanson Enfield, but I still
love the way it looks.
Plus, being boxy, it allows me to fit a sweater underneath
for when it's really cold out.
Lenny

holdencain

One of the Regulars
HoosierDaddy said:
I have several HalfBelt Aeros and Highwayman jacket..and like both styles. Funny thing is..I seem to most often grab the Highwayman when rushing out the door. It is such a comfortable jacket to wear. Sure..a somewhat boxier pattern compared to the tapered smooth waist on the HB...but mine isn't baggy or blousey around the waist. I'm 6' 2"..185 lbs.
I also own Aero jackets in several different hides...and don't see where medium weight HH would be much cooler than FQHH. The liner material seems to make the most difference. In my view Aero's FQHH makes it uniquely an Aero. Nothing like it.
HD

HD,

Being taller did you add any length to the body? And did you order your true size or down one given the roominess. I wear a 43 suit.
H

holdencain said:
HD,

Being taller did you add any length to the body? And did you order your true size or down one given the roominess. I wear a 43 suit.
H

My HighWayMan was purchased from the Aero sale page..However..it had an inch added to sleeves.
This Hwymn and my HBs were purchased probably over five years ago..and were ordered in my normal true size..which fit well. However..I've noticed more recently..others ordering a size down..or up in different jackets. I suggest sending measurements to Amanda..and allow her to fit your measurements to their new jackets.
Lengthwise...26" in body...26" in sleeve is a perfect fit for me. I think that is an inch added.
HD

holdencain

One of the Regulars
kyboots said:
Hey Cooperson: that California Ventura jacket is really good looking and nicely tapered. Good design and fit. I had never heard of these people before; am I the only one who is in the dark? What about the wear etc.? Are they a good jacket? John

Is the fit similar to an Aero HB?
H

Peacoat

Bartender
kyboots said:
Hey Cooperson: that California Ventura jacket is really good looking and nicely tapered. Good design and fit. I had never heard of these people before; am I the only one who is in the dark? What about the wear etc.? Are they a good jacket? John

John Chapman is Goodwear Leather. He makes one of the finest leather jackets in the whole world! His specialty is reproduction WWII flight jackets, and probably has the most accurate build of all of the repros. I would say you are among the very few on this forum who has never heard of Goodwear Leather.

Do a Google and visit his website; quite a show, especially for a one man band. Although, he has recently hired a woman to help with the child and to do a few things to help him out with the business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy