Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historic Portland, Ore.

Travis

Suspended
Portland, Oregon is and always has been the place I call home. I'm working on putting together a massive project regarding the history of the area in the 30s, but doing my research I found these photos I felt I just had to share. Many are older than golden era, but beautiful nonetheless. Please, enjoy them here, because every one of them has been demolished.

PortlandHotel1890.jpg

The Portland Hotel
Built in 1890; Demolished in 1950

Original architect was McKim Mead & White. The hotel had 284 rooms on 6 floors with a dining room that could seat 224 and another 124 could be served in a breakfast room.

In 1974, the city secured the land for public use and in 1984 Pioneer Square was dedicated. Features include an amphitheater, waterfall, terra cotta columns, public art and the wrought iron arch/gate in the lower right photo, the only portion of the famous hotel.

PortlandHotelRendition1910.jpg

This is an artists rendition from 1910 of the planned third wing of the Portland Hotel. It was never built.

WorcesterBuilding1892.jpg

The Worcester Building
Completed in 1892; Demolished in 1941

Built in two sections for Portland pioneer merchant and US Senator Henry W. Corbett. In the 1930s used as artist studios. Today, the site contains an old police headquarters addition from the late 1940s and a residential parking structure.

PerkinsHotel1981.jpg

The Perkins Hotel
Built in 1891 with 125 rooms. Remodeled in 1908; Demolished 1962

I don't know much about the Perkins Hotel, but I do know that it was home to a golden steer, the only survivor from the demolition. The life-sized longhorn is made of carved cedar, coated with copper paint. The steer is in storage at the Oregon Historical Society.

LewisFlandersBuilding1869.jpg

Lewis & Flanders Building
Built in 1869; Demolished in 1940

The original architect was E.M. Burton. From the 1870s to 1890s, the building housed Knapp, Burrell & Co., a farm implement and industrial machinery business. Later, it was used by Fleischer, Mayer & Co., a large wholesale dry goods company. Today, the Central Fire Station remains, built on the site in 1951.

LaddTiilton1868.jpg

Ladd & Tilton Bank
Built in 1868; Demolished in 1954

The original architect was John Nestor, who built it for William S. Ladd, a local pioneer merchant and banker. For many years the upper floor was used by the Portland Library Association, which then was a subscription library. Preservationist, Eric Ladd, salvaged the cast iron from the building which in the 1960s was used in the former Ladd & Bush Bank in Salem. Today, the site is a parking lot.

ChamberofCommerceBuilding1892.jpg

The Chamber of Commerce Building
Built in 1892; Demolished in 1934

Original architect was Isaac Hodgson, Jr. The Chamber, which built the building, lost the title in the 1893 financial panic. By the 1930s, the SP&S (Spokane, Portland & Seattle) Railway owned it. Regarded as an antiquated relic of the past, it was determined that the building would need to be gutted and redone to be cost effective. Instead it was torn down. Today, in its place is a parking lot.

PortlandAcademy1889.jpg

The Portland Academy
Opened for students in 1889; School closed in 1916; Removed for freeway construction in 1965

The Portland Academy was a private school that focused on college preparation. Whidden & Lewis designed the new building finally completed in 1895.

I will add more as they come. All the great ones from the 30s are being saved for the final project however. I hope people enjoy these.

Ryan

Familiar Face
Thanks for sharing the photos. So sad these were torn down. Portland is a great city. My wife and I were in Portland several months ago and saw the Pittock Mansion. The city did the right thing by saving it.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Since most of these were demolished between the 1930s and 1960s, do you know how ongoing construction on the property was and has been? Were there other structures in it's place after it was demolished but before it became what it is today? I know property can have numerous users within time.

Travis

Suspended
Ryan said:
Thanks for sharing the photos. So sad these were torn down. Portland is a great city. My wife and I were in Portland several months ago and saw the Pittock Mansion. The city did the right thing by saving it.

The Pittock Mansion is incredible. There still are some amazing architectural beauties left, fortunately.

Travis

Suspended
happyfilmluvguy said:
Since most of these were demolished between the 1930s and 1960s, do you know how ongoing construction on the property was and has been? Were there other structures in it's place after it was demolished but before it became what it is today? I know property can have numerous users within time.

That I don't know, but it would be interestng to find out.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
IIRC, Portland was a relatively poor city for years after the depression, and today has a reputation as being something of a backwater during those years.
- Was much new building done in place of all the teardown?
- Is there anything much in the way of early Modern architecture?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Lived just outside of Portland for years (in Sherwood). Miss it greatly and always will. Someday I'll get outta this desert and back to my good ol' pacific northwet.

Thanks for the pics, Travis.

Richard

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Portland in the 30s and 40s

Ernie Pyle passed thru in 1936 and said it was green, lush, and fresh, but terribly bluenosed and repressive even for that era.

John Gunther gave it a few pages in 1947's Inside USA, describing it as more or less of a spinster cousin to dynamic Seattle (which got quite a few more pages). His explanation: Washington got progressive Scandinavians, Oregon got redneck ranchers. Yeah, Gunther could be pretty curt.

zaika

One Too Many
those are beautiful pictures...thank you for sharing. i grew up in bend (talk about backwater...LOL), but portland has been my home for ten years. it's so sad to see these magnificent buildings and know that ugly parking lots now sit on that land. i'm looking at one right now from my office window. :rolleyes:

can't wait to see more!

Hondo

One Too Many
Beautiful city, state, Portland, Oregon, stayed over night earlier this year during my brief visit to Evergreen aviation museum, great hospitality from folks at hotels, restaurants and even gas stations. Years ago I used to drive through Oregon, love the area. I’ve heard about the underground tunnels from prohibition, a must to return. Thanks for sharing those pictures :)

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks for the photos and delightful facts Travis!!
Every day i live here i am so glad to have moved into this area.Been here for over half of my life and still consider it the second best place in America to live!!
(second after my Montana,of course)
Portland has seen quite a boom in the last 15 years and finally is seeing some slow down.Having traveled this entire country,i feel it is one of the most beautiful and richest.That is a completely biased opinion mind you :p
Yes,it rains.But rain is needed for such lush green mountains and valleys.
And we still have quite a few older buildings as well.
Thanks Travis!!

JD
Vancouver,Wa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy