Hoarders Have To Go.

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Chas, May 10, 2014.

1. Chas

Chas One Too Many

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

He's a "philosopher artist." Always a deadly combination.

3. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

I know a hoarder. Not only cars, he's gone through phases: farm machinery, lawn mowers, cars, aeroplanes, bicycles, building supplies, fence posts, golf carts, you name it.

All sitting and rotting.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

Anyone care to guess what the Tatra is worth?

5. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

He strikes me as a vandal, letting those classics go to rot like that. It's not like they're making those models any more.

6. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

Even worse: wealthy philosopher artist.

7. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

I can't stand people like him, buying and letting it decay. I believe the man is wasting not only his money, but he is destroying cars that those after him could benefit from, using or seeing, as preserved artifacts of an earlier era. Does anybody know what he does, or has done for a living?

8. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

It puts me in a tough spot. I hate, hate, HATE to see these things rot away. However, I also believe that a person should have the freedom to do what they wish with their possessions.

9. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

With old items, I always imagine myself as the custodian not the owner.

10. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

I guess I am a hoarder, I have a lot of old cars, parts etc rotting away in a collapsing barn. Will one of you kind gentlemen PLEASE come and take this junk off my hands or at least help me carry it all to a dryer place? There are only 2 or 3 dump truck loads of parts left. Thanks.

11. :rofl:

12. Oh and he can let that VW rot---that one I could care less about. The rest? well, that is another thing.

13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

My best friend's father was a machinist, whose hobby was building exotic vehicles out of Crosleys and Volkswagens -- my friend had her own Crosley-powered go-cart to drive around the yard when she was five. He died twenty-odd years ago, leaving auto parts buried under leaves and mulch all over the property -- everywhere you looked, some kind of car part was poking out of the ground. She'd been trying to sell off what's usable and sell the rest for scrap, but under cover of the night some sleazy characters backed up a truck and basically dug up the property, taking everything they could find.

She still has a pair of living room end tables made out of Volkswagen crankshafts, though. Only ones of their kind in the world, I suspect.

14. Crosleys I would want to save. :p

15. Horace Debussy Jones

Horace Debussy Jones A-List Customer

A classic crazy old coot maybe, for letting valuable autos like that just rot away. But as it was stated before he is entitled to do whatever he wants to do for whatever reasons with his own possessions. Who knows?,..maybe some of the cars can be restored when he kicks the bucket.

16. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

A lot of these people do not even know they are doing harm. Others could care less, they will not sell, even taking pleasure in the fact that an irreplaceable object will be lost for all times! They just want to own it, and don't want any one else to have it.

17. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

I see he's got an old Tatra just rotting away. That truly is a crime - they are the one car I would really like to own. Back in late 1980s a friend of mine was offered one out in Germany. It was about £1500 - money that he just hadn't got at that time. He now kicks himself for missing out on it.

18. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

There is a concept called "Eigentum verpflichtet"* (ownership brings responsibility) in German, I don't know whether a variation of this exists in English, but it is a formulation I would apply to owners of historic goods.

(*Yes, this is actually about social responsibility.)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  19. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

This hoarder still has had no response to his offer to sell several dump truck loads of rusty car parts (plus there are 30 or 40 old bicycles and other junk).

Nor has anyone showed up to help me move it to a better storage area.

I am beginning to think some of you guys are all mouth. You like to criticize but won't lift a finger.

Ha ha ha just kidding. But the point is, there is all kinds of old cars and other junk around, some of it near you. If you feel so strongly about it, go ahead and save it. But that will make you a hoarder too.

Or lighten up on the criticism.

20. Dan Allen

Dan Allen A-List Customer

Years ago there was an old coot just outside Austin Tx that had a museum worth of old classic cars. All of the no trespassing were put up in earnest. One day I slowed down to look and was shown the barrel of a shotgun from the porch. That was thirty years ago. I don't know what became of them. I would love to have had a fat wallet a that estate sale if there was one. I couldn't believe how good a shape they looked from the road.