Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holidays, Charity, and Vintage Gifts

Rachael

A-List Customer
With the holidays rapidly approaching and many in a tight spot, how many of us are trimming the gift budget this year? In my home, we are focusing more on spending time together than spending money on each other.

Looking back on my childhood, I always looked forward to quilts and hand knit sweaters my grandmothers would make for us (matching sweaters for our dolls when we were very small) and playing Monopoly with the whole family after Christmas dinner. While it seemed hokey at the time, it truly was a greater gift than any plastic gadget I could have received. I still own every quilt and treasure them.

With so many around us in need, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable spending a bundle of cash on disposable items even if I could. Since my children are all teens it seems very appropriate to focus on handmade gifts and helping others instead of trying to swing a brand new game system.

How are you planning to approach the holiday season this year?

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I'm trying to purchase meaningful gifts that will last a long time. If they happen to be vintage...so much the better!lol I'm also trying to limit my purchases to my immediate family..everyone else I'm going to have over for a sort of potluck/holiday dessert thing.

But for my mom, I've purchased a 1921 cookbook published in her hometown (a few hundred miles away) for a total of $1 at a library book sale.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Deck the Halls!

We'll spend time together watching old favorite films and sharing meals together with those we don't see that often. I prefer giving one gift of lasting value to each family member and filling each person's stocking with a Christmas ornament, something I made, and somehing for their sweet tooth. For us, being together is the highlight of the season.:)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
We're definitely paring back this year. Everyone's drawing names, so each person will get a gift but no one's obligated to buy separate gifts for everybody.

I think we don't realize how good we have it sometimes. The sheer amount of nice things we often get is probably on the level of a very upper-class family back in the Golden Era! While I'm quite a fan of presents, it's important to remember the "reason for the season" - and it isn't materialism. Counterintuitively, we often appreciate things more when we don't have much.

I'm not sure I'll be doing any handmade or vintage gifts this year, but I'll certainly be cost-conscious. And I'll be thrift shopping. :) (My best score? Goodwill, a few days before Christmas. They had huge bins full of stuff that was 10 for $1. I got a DVD, a couple of tiny purses, a travel cribbage game, earrings, and a few other little things. It was all very cheap, but I needed stuff for a dollar gift exchange/game. I won. :D)

Foofoogal

Banned
A few years back we had a rule it had to be homemade. It was really fun to see what everyone came up with.
I am looking into a lap type quilt that a lady makes with 42 photos on it for our children. I can also get a saying in a block for the middle. Now I have to figure out the material and colors I want her to use.
I think this is pretty easy to do but timely. You get the photo paper to copy the pictures onto fabric and make squares.
Would be great with vintage photos. I could see one of these done with landmarks and old buildings for the vintage collector.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I have a very small family, and gifts are somewhat predictable, and so it is hard to pare down any further, really! My dad wants one of each color (and two of black and cream) of The World's Softest Sock. My sister wants a kitchen gadget, and my brother-in-law doesn't much care - a DVD from England or a Wii game is the most likely thing.

The only exciting shopping I get to do is for my two closest friends, both of whom are into vintage, so that is where I get to be creative and sneaky and have fun indulging someone's tastes a little bit. But I'm a great estate-saler/thrift shopper, and when I show up with nifty vintage, it is known I probably didn't spend a fortune on it. If you have vintage folks in your life, you might also consider doing trade with local shops. I trade regularly with a couple shops in town - a great way to upgrade and acquire new things with a lot less money out of pocket.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I am definitely cutting back this year. I found my ways of spending at holidays got me into a mess and I am bound and determined to succeed this year.
This year my sweetie has been rebuilding and restoring an old tank bike we found at a swap meet for me. While I have been searching high and low for good deals on some of his collections for months. I'm making hair flower pins or scarves/muffs for my girl friends/sisters, future in-laws etc. I am visiting the used bookstores for the fellas. I decided that if I focus on the presentation - anything small will look much grander than it is. I have 2 cookie exchanges lined up and will make some plates up for the neighbors and the grandma's. I am thinking that I will make some food related items to round out some of the giving as well (spiced cider mixes, candied nuts, brownie mixes). My best friend and I have decided to volunteer together for an afternoon as our gift to each other.

My rule this year - no plastic.

Redhead

New in Town
I'll be doing some baking, knitting, and sewing projects this year. My parents are so hard to shop for and they live in a cold, damp climate, so they appreciate the warm and fuzzy gifts. I'll definitely check out used book stores too, never thought of that. I have a few friends who are voracious readers and Barnes & Noble is just too expensive! I just want a gift card to Jo-Anns for fabric this year. I'm on a mission to make more of my clothes instead of buying them. We'll see how that works out. . .:rolleyes:

Regards,
Chandra

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
We've always been budget shoppers, and this year will be no different. I've already picked up or picked out a few things.

My Dad's favorite movie is How Green Was My Valley, so when I saw a hardback copy of the book at an estate sale I snatched that up. I figure it was a steal, and that he'd probably like it better than any gift du jour. I figure I'll add some Chokecherry jelly from a local producer and he'll be a happy camper. For my sister (who knits) I found a 1940s sock knitting pattern.

My church is holding a craft making event for the start of Advent where for a modest fee (enough to cover costs) people can make gifts. I'm running 2 tables.; one to make hair flower clips and barrettes, and the other to make pot-holders. If you are interested, the book Pretty Little Potholders, (I checked it out from the library) has some really cute ones (of varying difficulties).

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I wish my family had a custom of giving Christmas gifts to children only. We adults don't need a thing. I always end up loading up the trunk of my car and making a trip to Goodwill after Christmas.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I will do what I do nearly every year.
I LOVE printmaking (relief), so I make a single run, hand printed edition of cards from a design of my own creation.

Family is pretty blah-ze about them, but Ive had friends frame the card :)

Yay crafters! :D

LD

palespider

One of the Regulars
iv been preparing myself a major cut back this year so iv been knitting like made trying to come up with some soft warm things for loved ones. Even gon the extra step as to start spinning my own fiber into yarn to knit into thing. They may be small and simple but i for sure put my heart into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy