Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Holy Grail" Suit I Wouldn't Have Expected

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
IMO, it's a regional thing. Trad simply doesn't work on the Left Coast. I don't know about the country east of the Rockies but from Denver west you're going to get really odd looks. However, around Bah-ston I'm sure it's quite the bees' knees.
Brooks had stores in San Francisco and LA as early as the late Fifties, so trad can't have been completely unknown out there. But I agree it was never as popular out there as on the East Coast.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Brooks had stores in San Francisco and LA as early as the late Fifties, so trad can't have been completely unknown out there.

It certainly wasn't unknown on the West Coast. "Cable Car Clothiers - Robert Kirk Ltd.", in San Francisco, is as 'trad' as they come ... and has been so since 1939. http://cablecarclothiers.com/ In fact, Cable Car Clothiers is today (and may always be) what Brooks Brothers was before the 1990s.

Beverly Hills and downtown Los Angeles had "G.B. Harb & Son".

Beverly Hills has "Carroll & Co." (founded in 1949): http://www.carrollandco.com/carroll/default.asp?s_id=0

Pasadena and San Marino had "Phelps Wilger", "Bill Winn", "Atkinson's", "Gary Lund", "The Andover Shop" and more.

Westwood and Newport Beach had "At-Ease", and Newport Beach still has "Gary's & Co."

Berkeley (of all places) has "Vaughn at Sather Gate".

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wore nearly that same suit yesterday. Similar herringbone, same flapped patch pockets- 3 piece, 3 button. Originally sold in Berkeley, CA.
IMG_1091.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brooks had stores in San Francisco and LA as early as the late Fifties, so trad can't have been completely unknown out there. But I agree it was never as popular out there as on the East Coast.
There was a large post war influx of northerners who migrated to California. Brooks Brothers and Major league baseball followed them west. There were lots of trads running around California back then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails