Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Holy Grail" Suit I Wouldn't Have Expected

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Ten or fifteen years ago, these were easily found (and cheap) in American thrift stores around older, wealthier neighborhoods. Now ... holy grail? The auction isn't over yet, and the price is already more than I sold a vintage '40s zoot suit for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250909186552

Funny thing is, a similar-looking vintage Brooks Brothers suit just sold for much, MUCH less: www.ebay.com/itm/160658487932

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I'd imagine it is 2 really committed bidders jacking each other's prices up.

This suit is boring with a capital 'B.'

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Boring = "iconic" to the AAAC 'Trad' crowd ... and to a niche of Japanese buyers who love Teruyoshi Hayashida's 1965 photo book, Take Ivy. To avoid snoozing, down a shot of espresso before looking at it.

Ivy0.jpg

Ivy4.jpg

Ivy9.jpg

Ivy6.jpg

Ivy8.jpg

Ivy2.jpg

Ivy1.jpg

Ivy3.jpg

Ivy7.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Agreed, agreed, agreed. And yet ...

Mr. Shosuke Ishizu, one of the authors of "Take Ivy", thoroughly redeems himself via this comment (made in a recent interview):

"Dressing well is supported by both a consciousness of oneself as a human being and an intelligent expression of one's attempt to enjoy life."

Very wise, and most elegantly put.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Hey now! Let's take care not to piss on the aesthetic sensibilities of others. While I have only lurked on occasion at the aforementioned trad forum, I am a fan of the old faithful sack suit, and have a number of them in my closet. Living in Texas I draw the line at "go-to-hell" pants and sport coats. A man who wore madras and embroidered critters in public might not survive the day. I wish BB still offered high quality sack suits these days. They've largely ceded their prep-cred to J Press and moved into the mainstream.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I would wear that suit in a minute. Maybe I am boring. My wardrobe has this strange mix of preppy and midwestern to it. Frayed button downs and three-rolled-to-two sport coats occupying the same space as double-welted Florsheims and pleated pants. I blame Detroit.

-Dave

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Marc, you owe us some fully scanned '30s and '40s catalogues for that ;)

While lacking belts and pleats and other such details that are popular on the FLounge, it's a serviceable suit. I would gladly wear it as part of my weekly wardrobe, but it's nothing particularly special. I would be more impressed if the seam allowances were bound rather than simply folded over as seems to be the case.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
That is certainly very high for that suit. I'm inclined to think that it was a bidding-war fluke as well.

For those who do like the Trad style, and I'm among them, the suit is somewhat distinctive in that, being from the '50s, it's from the very beginning of the Trad heyday years. '50s examples, while not rare, are a good bit harder to find than '60s BB suits like the other one you linked to. Partly that's because in 1950, IIRC, Brooks only had stores in NY, Boston, and Chicago. By the mid- to late '60s, they'd expanded quite a bit more.

And as for Trad as a style generally, all you guys who live in glass houses better be careful with your stones. I've seen the kinds of nutty '40s and '50s styles you guys love and wear. :D

Oldsarge

One Too Many
IMO, it's a regional thing. Trad simply doesn't work on the Left Coast. I don't know about the country east of the Rockies but from Denver west you're going to get really odd looks. However, around Bah-ston I'm sure it's quite the bees' knees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails