Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holy Smokey (colored hat)

dopey

One of the Regulars
This hat just arrived today. It is a stunner and easily the star of my ebay collection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8315127467&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Every bit as good as claimed, and even came in a nice Resistol Box with buckled strap that I was not expecting. If it needs anything, perhaps a light dusting or cleaning. The felt is soft and the sweat is great. You might not be able to tell from the pictures, but the liner is pleated at the crown and the bow on the sweat has that non-functional detailing that makes it look adjustable. Also interesting is that there is no “radiator� corrugated material to vent the sweat as is typical of Borsalinos. I wonder if that helps date the hat or is a function of being made for an overseas market. Also, I have a similar “Trionfo� lining label on a nice Borsalino I bought new between 5 and 10 years ago (without the pleating). Does anyone know what it means? Perhaps the one I bought was really vintage NOS or made for the European market as well. It is nicer than any new Borsalino I have seen.

BTW, I know gcollins had bought a hat from this same ebay seller because he outbid me on it. He seems to have good stock and his descriptions are interesting and detailed even if a bit silly and over-literary. In my case at least, it was also accurate. He knows his stuff, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is reading this. Has anyone else bought from him or know him?

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
From what I understand most vintage borsalinos, and other vintage hatmakers for that matter, used brown sweatbands rather than black. I view a black sweatband as the mark of a hat that was made relatively recently, say, from the 60s or 70s to present. In that case I would think it's more likely that both Borsalinos you have with the 'Trionfo' label are recent rather than vintage. Nonetheless it looks like a very nice hat. Do you actually fit into a 6 7/8 ?! I envy you, as I often see fedoras on eBay that are gorgeous but simply too small for me. Congrats on your purchase.

dopey

One of the Regulars
IndianaGuybrush said:
From what I understand most vintage borsalinos, and other vintage hatmakers for that matter, used brown sweatbands rather than black. I view a black sweatband as the mark of a hat that was made relatively recently, say, from the 60s or 70s to present. In that case I would think it's more likely that both Borsalinos you have with the 'Trionfo' label are recent rather than vintage. Nonetheless it looks like a very nice hat. Do you actually fit into a 6 7/8 ?! I envy you, as I often see fedoras on eBay that are gorgeous but simply too small for me. Congrats on your purchase.

The “new� Trionfo Borsalino that I have has a brown sweat. The gray one I gave away had a black one as you described. The sweat on the one that just arrived is not black — it is a gray TO MATCH THE COLOR OF THE FELT. Sorry to shout, but it looks cool and I am sure is no accident. And while I am no expert, I don’t know of many modern hatters that pleat the inside linings. This is vintage for sure.

Your comment about head size makes me laugh. I keep thinking the same thing as I have passed on a lot of hats because they are too big.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IndianaGuybrush said:
From what I understand most vintage borsalinos, and other vintage hatmakers for that matter, used brown sweatbands rather than black. I view a black sweatband as the mark of a hat that was made relatively recently, say, from the 60s or 70s to present.

I have seen at least one really nice Borsalino on eBay that had
a *red* sweatband. Definitely no later than 30s-40s (it had some
documentation). Seen a couple with grey/black sweats. The new
black sweat bands don't look as wide and supple as the one in the
eBay listing here. Looks like the real thing to me.

That said, I have to say I can't stand that seller's listing.
I have to wade through paragraphs of nonsense to get to
the hat size (only to find out it is too small).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner