Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

hambone71

Practically Family

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Most excellent, Nathan. I really like that color combination. I have a similar Mallory.

20230720_190219.jpg

The “Royal Stetson Deluxe” homburg I received a few days ago is in almost minty condition.

I couldn’t help wearing it out for a test run simply because it has such a big brim (almost 2 5/8 inches before the curl), but that outing confirmed that I am not really a fan of the homburg look on me.

I had already planned to put this one in the closet as a collectible rather than a working hat, anyway.

That being said, this hat is one beautiful work of art. Everything about it from the felt to the sweatband to the liner to the ribbon work is such darn amazing quality.

No date anywhere that I could find but other loungers have dated the “Royal Stetson Deluxe” line from around 1946-1954 (one lounger actually has one with a date stamp of ‘54).

View attachment 533824
View attachment 533825
View attachment 533826
View attachment 533827
View attachment 533828
View attachment 533829
View attachment 533830
View attachment 533831
View attachment 533832

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Beware. I felt the same way about homburgs, but Stefan convinced me that I needed one. When it arrived, I discovered that everybody needs two.
I can attest to this. I acquired a Dobbs Coachman Homberg in sable. I find myself looking for a sibling for it. I have grey, I search for navy and brown now.
I do love the hunt almost as much as the hat.

The “Royal Stetson Deluxe” homburg I received a few days ago is in almost minty condition.

I couldn’t help wearing it out for a test run simply because it has such a big brim (almost 2 5/8 inches before the curl), but that outing confirmed that I am not really a fan of the homburg look on me.

I had already planned to put this one in the closet as a collectible rather than a working hat, anyway.

That being said, this hat is one beautiful work of art. Everything about it from the felt to the sweatband to the liner to the ribbon work is such darn amazing quality.

No date anywhere that I could find but other loungers have dated the “Royal Stetson Deluxe” line from around 1946-1954 (one lounger actually has one with a date stamp of ‘54).

View attachment 533824
View attachment 533825
View attachment 533826
View attachment 533827
View attachment 533828
View attachment 533829
View attachment 533830
View attachment 533831
View attachment 533832
I think it looks great both as a hat and on you. The homburg nation is proud.

batankyu

New in Town
Dunno if this belongs here. I purchased this old hat for 10 euros at a garage sale in Normandy France, on Sat 12 Aug 2023. I guess the shape of the brim would make it a homburg. I can pinch the crown to shape it like a fedora. No inner lining. Unfortunately the sweatband is in poor condition and has dried out.

I'm looking for any info that could put a date on the hat.

Nothing hidden behind the sweatband. Only mentions inside the hat are "VERITABLE FEUTRE" ("GENUINE FELT" in french) on left side of sweatband and "Martin VALENCIENNES" on right side of sweatband as well as on a piece of cloth sewn on the crown. Valenciennes is a city in North of France. Research online shows Jean-Claude Martin had a hat shop there, which closed in 1995. So far, no clue about how old the shop was. (Only hint I got is that he donated vintage stuff from his old shop to a new hat shop named "O Chapeauté" that opened in Valenciennes in Nov 2015, including the cash register dating back from 1923, now showcased on the old oak drawer cabinet where gloves used to be stored.)

- Front view:
D5dRoB4.jpg
- Rear view:
WFqXOUw.jpg

- Left side view:
oBlcorq.jpg

- Right side view:
DgALB9x.jpg

- Underbrim:
6o9DnDB.jpg

- sweatband:
1DbQpW4.jpg

- rear of sweatband:
68zQcPi.jpg

- left side of sweatband:
qLZt5L9.jpg

- right side of seatband:
0tqmgPC.jpg

Last edited:
Dunno if this belongs here. I purchased this old hat for 10 euros at a garage sale in Normandy France, on Sat 12 Aug 2023. I guess the shape of the brim would make it a homburg. I can pinch the crown to shape it like a fedora. No inner lining. Unfortunately the sweatband is in poor condition and has dried out.

I'm looking for any info that could put a date on the hat.

Nothing hidden behind the sweatband. Only mentions inside the hat are "VERITABLE FEUTRE" ("GENUINE FELT" in french) on left side of sweatband and "Martin VALENCIENNES" on right side of sweatband as well as on a piece of cloth sewn on the crown. Valenciennes is a city in North of France. Research online shows Jean-Claude Martin had a hat shop there, which closed in 1995. So far, no clue about how old the shop was. (Only hint I got is that he donated vintage stuff from his old shop to a new hat shop named "O Chapeauté" that opened in Valenciennes in Nov 2015, including the cash register dating back from 1923, now showcased on the old oak drawer cabinet where gloves used to be stored.)

[/URL]

- Front view:
D5dRoB4.jpg
- Rear view:
WFqXOUw.jpg

- Left side view:
oBlcorq.jpg

- Right side view:
DgALB9x.jpg

- Underbrim:
6o9DnDB.jpg

- sweatband:
1DbQpW4.jpg

- rear of sweatband:
68zQcPi.jpg

- left side of sweatband:
qLZt5L9.jpg

- right side of seatband:
0tqmgPC.jpg
Nice find. With a good dose of steam and a thorough brushing it should clean right up.

hambone71

Practically Family
Many, many thanks to @steur for a wonderful and perfect fitting Homburg. Thank you, my friend! My apologies for the late posting. I still haven't had the opportunity to wear it out of the house but I will be looking forward to it soon enough. The contrasting lavender-ish brim binding really sets it off. I'm honored and proud to be it's new owner. It's a real beauty!
IMG_20230819_121114.jpg
IMG_20230819_121123.jpg
IMG_20230819_121148.jpg

hambone71

Practically Family
I probably should've combined this post with the previous, but oh well.

Thank you to @The Lost Cowboy, Nathan, for the heads up and assist on this Stetson St. Regis! Another beauty to add to my growing collection.

I will be taking both Hommies to my niece's wedding in November with intentions to wear both over that weekend.

Just a few weeks ago, I had zero Homburgs. Now I have 2 to choose from whenever the need arises.
IMG_20230819_120622.jpg
IMG_20230819_120702.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Many, many thanks to @steur for a wonderful and perfect fitting Homburg. Thank you, my friend! My apologies for the late posting. I still haven't had the opportunity to wear it out of the house but I will be looking forward to it soon enough. The contrasting lavender-ish brim binding really sets it off. I'm honored and proud to be it's new owner. It's a real beauty! View attachment 541266 View attachment 541267 View attachment 541268
I probably should've combined this post with the previous, but oh well.

Thank you to @The Lost Cowboy, Nathan, for the heads up and assist on this Stetson St. Regis! Another beauty to add to my growing collection.

I will be taking both Hommies to my niece's wedding in November with intentions to wear both over that weekend.

Just a few weeks ago, I had zero Homburgs. Now I have 2 to choose from whenever the need arises.
View attachment 541272 View attachment 541273
Both of these hats look really great on you but there is something about the European one that really suits you extremely well. Obviously it must be the brim trimming since it looks like everything else is exactly the same. I’d have never thought a single strip of lavender would have such a strong impact but it to my eyes it does in these photos. Don’t get me wrong, the Stetson looks great, too, but the European one seems to suit you particularly well. Who made it? Have you got a shot of the interior?

Congratulations on two very nice homburgs!

hambone71

Practically Family
Both of these hats look really great on you but there is something about the European one that really suits you extremely well. Obviously it must be the brim trimming since it looks like everything else is exactly the same. I’d have never thought a single strip of lavender would have such a strong impact but it to my eyes it does in these photos. Don’t get me wrong, the Stetson looks great, too, but the European one seems to suit you particularly well. Who made it? Have you got a shot of the interior?

Congratulations on two very nice homburgs!
The Euro hat is branded The Latest Style. I'm not familiar with that branding and I have no idea who would have produced it. I can tell you it's light weight and the felt feels fantastic. The crown, brim, and ribbon are all just a tad shorter than the St. Regis. Perhaps not quite as velvety as the St. Regis but the hand is very good, nonetheless. I love this hat!

Here's a couple shots of the interior.
IMG_20230819_130136_kindlephoto-1308896271.jpg
IMG_20230819_130151.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The Euro hat is branded The Latest Style. I'm not familiar with that branding and I have no idea who would have produced it. I can tell you it's light weight and the felt feels fantastic. The crown, brim, and ribbon are all just a tad shorter than the St. Regis. Perhaps not quite as velvety as the St. Regis but the hand is very good, nonetheless. I love this hat!

Here's a couple shots of the interior.
View attachment 541274 View attachment 541275
Oh wow, very rich interior! I would have expected a more regal name to go with it. “The Latest Style” doesn’t do that justice.

I wondered if it was just a bit smaller than the Stetson, but in the photos they look very close.

Excellent lid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy