Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Is it customary to pinch the crown of a homburg or not?
JB....here's a link to a thread on the 'Snap Brim Homberg' and the pic. has side dents aswell...they call it the 'university style'...I like it...
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?20159-The-snap-brim-homburg&
and :http://vintagehaberdashers.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/university-club-snap-brim-homburg/

And BTW...I guess you were getting compliments on the gig the other night....Your Homburg turned out fantastic...
You did a great job of personalizing it....Congratulations...thats an album cover hat if I've ever seen one...:)

Last edited:
Manfred, Beautiful Echter Borsalino Homburg! I really the contrasting ribbon / binding look. Based on the paper label I would say later 50s.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, thank you, my friend. Thanks also about your opinion about the age.
I thought also, 50's to late 50's.
Maybee I can post tomorow some noggin shots!

jbucklin

Practically Family
Experimenting with iPhone camera and Hipstamatic app. Kind of a bizarre shot.
fb259762.jpg

Thought I would post this here too. Anton Pichler's "Comfortable-Hut" newspaper ad from 1897. Anton Pichler was an Austrian manufacturer of high quality hats. The ad mentions a stiff brim which we associate with the Homburg today. It has what appears to be metal screen side vents and is made of Beaver fur felt.

7324031130_4071f7362d_b.jpg

Translation by Manfred.

"Anton Pichler, comfortable hat!
Elegant, fine and practical Modehut completely replaced the stiff and soft hat by the preferential
the design and development. Since the stiff brim in greeting is ideal while the top is nice and soft and supple.
This hat is 1000 times as recognized only comfortable to wear head covering is preferably made by me and can only
be purchased directly from me. Made with fine beavermaterials and completely lightfast colors.
In order I'd be the exact head measurement in inches."

Last edited:
I found this in the September 2, 1899 edition of Deutschen Hutmacher-Zeitung. Moeckel was the original maker of the Homburg hat for Edward VII. This is the first mention of the style as a Homburg Hat that I have run across in a German or Austrian publication of the late 19th or early 20th centuries. The use of English is directed towards export markets.

7616247768_f250b18a42_b.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Homburg family

Homburg-family2012-07post.jpg

Left to right:
Adam Executive mid grey 1950s
Herbert Johnson mid grey 1950s
Borsalino Nutria Gulaita - Torio c. Nero 1950s
Herbert Johnson black 1950s
Stetson Special midnight blue late1930s
Disney dark brown 1950s
Templeform Aristo Supreme by Stylepark light brown 1950s

Full resolution image

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
+1. Holy moley. Beautiful homburg family, Rabbit!
The Borso and the Templeform really get my juices flowing. I can't wait to find one in that casual beige-ish tone.

I hope you don't mind my following your lead on this:

homburgcomposite.jpg

My Homburger familia:

Lee Blue Label, black, heavy suede finish
Lee Silver Label in "Dusty Sage" purchased from a fellow lounger
Mansfield Duracraft, black with a hint (perhaps?) of midnight blue
Resistol 3X very stingy black
Stetson 3X charcoal grey, slightly smaller brim than most others
Stetson 3X Western/Homburg hybrid from the "Eddie Bauer" line (I replaced the 70s shag carpet band with a thing strip of modern black grosgrain.)
Bellamy, in a rich tobacco brown. I love this hat and the way it looks and feels on my head-- and wondered tonight why the heck I don't wear it every day.

Thanks for indulging!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit, fantastic group o' hommies. Love the inside/outside photo arrangement!

Very sharp, Jeff. Dusty sage really suits the homburg shape, and the tobacco Bellamy exudes elegance.

100 pages in this thread now!

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Rabbit,
The Stetson Special is a new one for me. If that liner nomenclature has been shown on here before I missed it.
The sweatband looks very high quality. Is it a European made Stetson?

Bowlerman,
I agree with you. That coffee example looks terrific.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit,
The Stetson Special is a new one for me. If that liner nomenclature has been shown on here before I missed it.
The sweatband looks very high quality. Is it a European made Stetson?

It's a U.S. Stetson from the late 30s. You're right about the quality of the sweatband. It is deeply embossed; the reed stitches are very close to one another. The leather itself is excellent, too.
Alan has a twin of this hat; I can't find his post at the moment.
Stetson made lots of different hat styles in several decades with the name Stetson Special, see here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?41868-Paging-Dinerman-Stetson-Special

Edit: Here's some close-ups of the late 1930s Stetson Special Homburg midnight blue:

P1040789.jpg

P1040786.jpg

P1040784.jpg

P1040785.jpg

P1040774.jpg

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
homburg.jpg

I hope this will suffice for my entry into the Homburg Nation!

Scala wool Homburg I got from Ebay. Nice little hat. I know the feelings of some on the lounge toward wool hats, but so far this one has served me well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran