Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Dermotta Wien Homburg, size 58cm. I only have one other Dermotta Wien and it's also a Homburg. Probably late 1950s.

7742369460_08808c5257_b.jpg

7742371200_6848392881_b.jpg

7742379964_c075ba23ec_b.jpg

7742543716_48fbc17409_b.jpg

7742387118_de33682d07_b.jpg

7742392990_60773e77fe_b.jpg

7742394898_8c097df8c9_b.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Scott London Homburg Part I

A pitch-black mint British Homburg from the 1940s that shows pre-WWII design features, namely the frayed ribbon, wide sweatband, and 52ish block shape. Due to the straight block shape, this hat calls for dents to be placed more toward the side (if any).

P1080593.jpg

P1080553.jpg

2 1/8" sweatband, fairly thin leather

P1080562.jpg

P1080565.jpg

P1080549.jpg

P1080610.jpg

For shooting, the hat is resting on a metal lever which causes a bump at the very center of the crown roof. The block shape is actually very straight-sided and flat.

P1080584.jpg

P1080585.jpg

P1080537.jpg

P1080545.jpg

Last edited:
Rabbit, Great Homburg + original shipping box. It's rare to find the original box with these older ones. Also having the date stamp is a major plus (you see this mostly with English, Austrian and German made hats).

Manfred, Thanks again!

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit, Great Homburg + original shipping box. It's rare to find the original box with these older ones. Also having the date stamp is a major plus (you see this mostly with English and German made hats).

Thank you. Do you know if there is a method behind the liner dating? What I mean is, were the liners being stamped when the hat was actually produced or is it possible that the liners themselves were stamped with the date, then simply stored for further use, whenever that might have been?

As Manfred said German and Austrian date stamps are usually on the inside of the sweatband.

I have a P. & C. Habig Wien Homburg that was date stamped on the sweatband and the year matched the production year on the paper label (see photos below).

Sweat band with the production date of November 29, 1940.

3433939137_5ae6bf7bf2_b.jpg

The last two numbers are the production year ######/###/40.

3434747114_78b46b3984_b.jpg

I haven't come across any documentation that mentions anything about date stamps and not all hats from the same time period and manufacturer have them so I don't think we can say for sure.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Che.

I haven't come across any documentation that mentions anything about date stamps and not all hats from the same time period and manufacturer have them so I don't think we can say for sure.

Mayserwegener, thanks for the info. That's just what I thought - but with your experience on the matter your input definitely weighs more.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

GORGEOUS Scotts homburg, Rabbit!! I have owned several pre-1940 English hats, and I can honestly say that they are always of the highest quality. I have owned 3 Dunn & Co hats, and I have loved them all. I have never bought a Scotts hat, but after seeing your pictures, I'm on the hunt for one. Its wonderful that your Scotts and Roberts Scotts are both dated.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
GORGEOUS Scotts homburg, Rabbit!! I have owned several pre-1940 English hats, and I can honestly say that they are always of the highest quality. I have owned 3 Dunn & Co hats, and I have loved them all. I have never bought a Scotts hat, but after seeing your pictures, I'm on the hunt for one. Its wonderful that your Scotts and Roberts Scotts are both dated.

Thank you so much, Josh. So they are called Scotts hats, not Scott, is that correct? The black Homburg has Scott & Co as well as Scotts written on liner and sweat, respectively.

The felt quality on this one is nothing short of amazing. It's on a par with my Stetson Special Homburg from the late 1930s; the felt is softer (in fact, it's very soft by any standard) and more malleable which makes it appear more luxurious still. The finish is a little different; it's ever so slightly less sanded down, if that makes any sense.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thank you so much, Josh. So they are called Scotts hats, not Scott, is that correct? The black Homburg has Scott & Co as well as Scotts written on liner and sweat, respectively.

The felt quality on this one is nothing short of amazing. It's on a par with my Stetson Special Homburg from the late 1930s; the felt is softer (in fact, it's very soft by any standard) and more malleable which makes it appear more luxurious still. The finish is a little different; it's ever so slightly less sanded down, if that makes any sense.

Well as far as I know, the company name was Scott & Co, but I also think they were referred to as "Scotts Hats." I believe they were both interchangeable for the company.

I know exactly what you mean about the finish. My 1930's Dunn & Co homburg is very soft and well finished, the felt molds like clay due to the wonderful shellac used. Almost every single prewar hat I have ever received, out of the box is floppy, but once given a good steaming and brushing, the felt stiffens up into this perfect match of firm and pliable.

Annixter

Practically Family
I now own my first Homburg and am quite pleased. With the help of Rabbit (Nik), I found this c.1930's Christy's of London "Diploma Quality" Homburg. It was dusty and had some flecking, but after a good brushing, a damp-sponge cleaning, some light steam shaping, and Neatsfoot oil to the sweat, it's looking great. The felt is pretty dense and has a very nice feel and texture after brushing, and I really like the brim's contours. I received an old and beat-up Hamilton and Co Inc. hat box with the Homburg, but I'm pretty sure it is not the original.

Thanks goes to Rabbit for his volunteered help which has allowed me to further my knowledge and obtain a great first Homburg in what I foresee will be a long line.:)

651ff3fb.jpg

32969b9c.jpg

60ff46c2.jpg

a5d5b479.jpg

f5ce03f3.jpg

7332202a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran