Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg style?

Cicero

A-List Customer
Just bought me another hat.
Can i call this a Homburg hat?
Its a size 7 1/8 and this is the result after a first rebashing under a little steam.

f_hat1m_1a1629c.jpg

f_HPIM5540m_0580d4f.jpg

f_HPIM5543m_2ad82c0.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Cicero said:
Can i call this a Homburg hat?

Start a poll, but I think you can - interestingly, the brim looks much more Homburg in the first picture than in the second.

The most common form for the crown would be rather a simple centre crease, with or without side dents.

Edward

Bartender
Looks like a homburg to me.... Personally, I prefer the look of them without side dents - distinguishes them that little bit from a fedora. I think actually it makes them look more "formal", though I couldn't articulate exactly why. Maybe because the lack of side detns gives it that little echo of a top hat or a bowler, but with a different top?

ETA: in that second pair of pictures (they didn't come up for me at first), it's got a very Al Capone vibe to the shape of it - looks good! :)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Edward said:
Looks like a homburg to me.... Personally, I prefer the look of them without side dents - distinguishes them that little bit from a fedora.

Though I'm not excited about teardrops, snapped-down brims and the like with homburgs, who says a Fedora has to have side dents? Without them, the fedora might get anything from an early/mid-thirties touch, look somehow conservative, or a maybe even a bit naive or foolish (think Algy Longworth).

Edward

Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Though I'm not excited about teardrops, snapped-down brims and the like with homburgs, who says a Fedora has to have side dents? Without them, the fedora might get anything from an early/mid-thirties touch, look somehow conservative, or a maybe even a bit naive or foolish (think Algy Longworth).

Oh no, fair point, they're not obligatory - just they're such a ubiquitous thing with fedoras, you're infinitely more likely to see one with than without. Archetypal rather than prescriptive.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes - plain edge Homberg. A classic (common) look is for the edge to be bound, probably about a half inch, and pencil curled, but your 'bash' is a Homberg. On the other issue, side dents, I think the basic definition of 'Fedora' is a hat with a crease in the crown. Those pics from the 1915-1920ish haberdashery showed a lot of plain center creases, creased DEEP in those lush crowns. . . . can't imagine what those fellows were trying to imitate . . .

Topper

Vendor
Interesting, it looks like it has had a previous life:

1) Brim Curl is same as the common style for bowler/topper. - Hence formal. But it is unlike a standard Homburg which is a uniform pencil curl all around.

2) Crown has single crease like a homburg - Butr looking inside the hat the crease is in a tear drop shape - A standard homburg is a unifrom crease back to front.

I usually denominate on the "Crown" style, then leave the brim as a descriptive.

This has neither of the standard formats of corwn or brim as the "standard" from homburg as we presently know it. It is not a homburg as it stands - But you mentioned "first rebashing" - So was the crown a unifrom crease up and down before you started playing with it - Then yes it "was" a Homburg - Now it has been adapeted ( which is not a bad thing - I do it myself ! Trilbowler!)

Pip-Pip
Doug

barrowjh

One Too Many
Feraud, both of those appear to have a center crease. An 'open' crown would not be a fedora until it has at least a simple center crease, or at least, that's what I thought. Under this definition, a bowler or derby is not a fedora. Any others with definitions?

Feraud

Bartender
barrowjh said:
Feraud, both of those appear to have a center crease. An 'open' crown would not be a fedora until it has at least a simple center crease, or at least, that's what I thought. Under this definition, a bowler or derby is not a fedora. Any others with definitions?
I do state these are fedoras.

Topper

Vendor
Feraud said:
That looks like a homburg.
Let us not forget the Snapped Brim Homburg .

Feraud,

The Sanpped Brim Homburg was actually was actually a fedora. This appears more like the two hats on the left hand page , one above each other - nearest the centre page split.

Please can you scan both pages of the document so we can read all the hats on the page.

Cheers

Feraud

Bartender
The following scans are the best I could photograph as the Apparel Arts was not mine.
Please read the text noted below regarding "The University Touch".
If you think Apparel Arts has it wrong, please provide some proof.

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
Cicero said:

Aww look she's doing a proper pouty model face:

"Yeah I'm cool. I know. The fact that I know I'm cool makes me even cooler."

EDIT: Shame its not her hat, by the way, cos the colour goes quite nicely with her eye(s).

Topper

Vendor
Feraud said:
If you think Apparel Arts has it wrong, please provide some proof.

As per my comments in the other thread - the pinch and the brim finish are different.

This hat is more like the 2 on the left page next to the spine crease.

Again this is backed up also by AlanC's ic "Lords hat" above referencing to pinching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot