Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburgs galore!

Flieger

Practically Family
Last week I won an auction containg not one, not two, but FOUR homburg hats. All I got from the seller was a photo of all hats stapled on top of each other and a note that one of them was a Borsalino and that all of them was "mid size" 54-56 (6 3/4 - 7). Well, that's waaay to small for me but I figured I might be able to sell them myself later. So I went ahead and bid on them anyway, getting the lot for about $40 - Shipping included! :eek:

Today the hats arrived...

1. A grey Borsalino size 60 (7¬?)

Borsalino_MV.jpg

Borsalino_IV.jpg

2. A black P&C Habig size 60 (7¬?)

PC_Habig_MV.jpg

PC_Habig_IV.jpg

3. A grey Stra Barbisio size 59 (7 3/8)

Barbisio_MV.jpg

Barbisio_IV.jpg

4. A black Christy's size 59 (UK 7 1/4)

Christys_MV.jpg

Christys_IV.jpg

All the darn hats fit my head!!! What am I going to do with four homburgs? Anyone interested in owning one of these? :eusa_doh:

Thanks for looking.

/F

mineral

One of the Regulars
Flieger said:
All the darn hats fit my head!!! What am I going to do with four homburgs? Anyone interested in owning one of these?

I would be, if you are willing to part with one of them (especially the Habig one). :)

But then how much is shipping from Sweden to the US?

Flieger

Practically Family
mineral said:
I would be, if you are willing to part with one of them (especially the Habig one). :)

But then how much is shipping from Sweden to the US?

I can check that if you want? But maybe we should discuss this via PM?

/F

fatwoul

Practically Family
mineral said:
I would be, if you are willing to part with one of them (especially the Habig one)...

Funny you should say that, mineral. The Habig stood out to me, too. As I was looking through them I was thinking how I could never get away with a Homburg, but that the Habig might be OK. Don't worry, they're all too big for me anyway. lol

fatwoul

Practically Family
OK, so I was just discussing Homburgs with another member, after looking at this thread. We ended up talking about what it is about Homburgs that makes them look the way they do:

"They're like if a fedora and a bowler hat had a baby."

"Or a pregnant fedora."

"Or a fedora that got left on a grill and went all curly"

"Or in water."

"Wait I got it! OK you know those nature films where you see a butterfly first coming out of a cocoon, and sitting there waiting for its wings to unfurl?"

"Yes."

"Well that's what a homburg is. It's a fedora that just came out of its cocoon and is waiting in the sun."

:eek:

Well, I thought it was funny at the time. Guess you had to be there.

Seriously though, Flieger, that Habig could probably win a lot of us Homburg skeptics over.

Flieger

Practically Family
fatwoul said:
"Well that's what a homburg is. It's a fedora that just came out of its cocoon and is waiting in the sun."

Seriously though, Flieger, that Habig could probably win a lot of us Homburg skeptics over.

lol I think you nailed it there! THAT is exactly what it looks like.

My wife was not at all impressed by how I looked in either of these hats. :(

/F

Edward

Bartender
All gorgeous hats, and a crazily good price..... make sure you keep at least one of them (if not one of each colour...): a black hommy is a must with black tie! ;)

fatwoul

Practically Family
Flieger said:
...My wife was not at all impressed by how I looked in either of these hats.

Give her time. Maybe wear them around a little more. It's a very different look that she might get used to.

Edward said:
...make sure you keep at least one of them (if not one of each colour...): a black hommy is a must with black tie! ;)

The man makes a good point. I think, because of the more formal nature of the homburg, it is probably a better choice for black tie than a black fedora, but at the same time perhaps isn't as overly formal as a top hat or a bowler. A happy medium for such occasions.

Flieger

Practically Family
You bring up good points but alas, I never ever dress formal. Rugged fedoras is more my cup of tea (and floppy Newsboys in the school of Deanglen) :)

/F

Flieger

Practically Family
I just noticed that the Habig and the Barbisio has been altered (stretched) to 7 1/2 and that a small insert in made in the sweatband to accomodate for this. It looks professionally done.

So they are all size 7 1/2 (60).

/F

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flieger said:
You bring up good points but alas, I never ever dress formal. Rugged fedoras is more my cup of tea (and floppy Newsboys in the school of Deanglen) :)

/F

School is in session! Lesson one: Homburgs are a bit stuffy for some of us, but keeping one would be good. FW is right: your wife might just learn to like you in it, and remember 'Happy wife: happy life.' Veritas!

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21