Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homeschool! (and other "vintage" values)

Jim Brown

Banned
Please see post number 19 in this thread for a clarification; I had posed the same question earlier.

Ahh... so it is... But just to clarify, the OP isn't saying that those that went to public schools have "no" values is he? Because it's kind of coming across as that when I read the title....

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is that uncommon in the states? Here in Australia the Education department (at least in Victoria where I am) encourages it for those thinking about homeschool. I know of quite a few people who homeschool a few days and public school a few days.

Hi

Here in the US, average student enrollment (or possibly enrollment on certain days) is used to distribute Federal money to schools. Heights High School in Wichita KS doesn't make students take final exams if they have less than 5 absences per semester. The purpose of this is to keep attendance high to get the money. I know they did it, the principal mentioned it in the Freshman year orientation. When my son started college in 2005, he couldn't stand to take a test, it made him too nervous. Freshman year was 10 years ago, and they have a new principal, the old one retired so this may have changed. I seriously doubt it though, especially with "no child's left behind..."

Ahh... so it is... But just to clarify, the OP isn't saying that those that went to public schools have "no" values is he? Because it's kind of coming across as that when I read the title....

I don't know what he was THINKING, but children in the public schools are taught to have "no values", it's in the rules. You are taught not to make value judgements about the other kids (who may have spit on you and swiped your lunch). I.E. if today's kids DO have values, they weren't supposed to get them at the public schools.

Later

Last edited:

Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Familiar Face
thanks for that. Interesting. I have a feeling funding is distributed similarly here in Aus...but schools have to allow kids to attend even if they are partially homeschooled here. Can always count on you guys to fill me in!

Those of us who teach in public schools know that we do teach students the basics of how to treat and respect others, it is definitely a part of the job. We are not supposed to impress upon students are political, religious, or personal beliefs that is for the family unit. Public education tends to be a whipping post for the woes of society but many forget that it we are responsible for the education of all children. We do not get to pick and choose who are clientele are unlike private schools who quite often (for better or worse) do not have to follow the guidelines set by the state. I have students whose parents are in prison, in gangs, drug addicts, dead, abusive, donors-at-best, illiterate, and pretty much whatever you can imagine. I have students who only eat at school and are homeless. It is my job to prepare these kids as best as possible for the real world while at the same time working with the PowersthatBe and their out of touch with reality mandates. No child left behind was not about improving educational standards, it was about politicians trying to appear to care by revamping a test that has no bearing on a child's future and telling the world it is more important than it is. Too often we are expected to be magicians and when we are not, we are considered failures. Fortunately, I enjoy what I do and I will not be deterred by those who slam public education.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...Too often we are expected to be magicians and when we are not, we are considered failures. Fortunately, I enjoy what I do and I will not be deterred by those who slam public education.

Hi, not so much slamming. Both parents are retired teachers, Dad retired from teaching High School Math in 1984, Mom retired from teaching 4th Grade in about 1994. I know it's true that Public Schools can't pick their students like the private schools, but the top heavy administration and PC Crap can go away anytime.

Later

Flicka

One Too Many
the top heavy administration and PC Crap can go away anytime.

Whatever someone may think about "PC crap" I would still argue that it is, undeniably, a set of values. Possibly not a set of values you especially like, but still, more or less by definition, values. I mean, what else would 'PC crap' be? Objective standards?

And to someone used to a British vocabulary, the dissing of the quality of education received in 'public schools' is rather amusing. :)

Jim Brown

Banned
Hi, not so much slamming. Both parents are retired teachers, Dad retired from teaching High School Math in 1984, Mom retired from teaching 4th Grade in about 1994. I know it's true that Public Schools can't pick their students like the private schools, but the top heavy administration and PC Crap can go away anytime.

Later

Can you elaborate on what "PC Crap" is?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Those of us who teach in public schools know that we do teach students the basics of how to treat and respect others, it is definitely a part of the job. We are not supposed to impress upon students are political, religious, or personal beliefs that is for the family unit. Public education tends to be a whipping post for the woes of society but many forget that it we are responsible for the education of all children. We do not get to pick and choose who are clientele are unlike private schools who quite often (for better or worse) do not have to follow the guidelines set by the state. I have students whose parents are in prison, in gangs, drug addicts, dead, abusive, donors-at-best, illiterate, and pretty much whatever you can imagine. I have students who only eat at school and are homeless. It is my job to prepare these kids as best as possible for the real world while at the same time working with the PowersthatBe and their out of touch with reality mandates. No child left behind was not about improving educational standards, it was about politicians trying to appear to care by revamping a test that has no bearing on a child's future and telling the world it is more important than it is. Too often we are expected to be magicians and when we are not, we are considered failures. Fortunately, I enjoy what I do and I will not be deterred by those who slam public education.

Hear, hear!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Whatever someone may think about "PC crap" I would still argue that it is, undeniably, a set of values. Possibly not a set of values you especially like, but still, more or less by definition, values. I mean, what else would 'PC crap' be? Objective standards?

And to someone used to a British vocabulary, the dissing of the quality of education received in 'public schools' is rather amusing. :)

Well put. The myth of "values neutral" education is just that, a myth.

Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Familiar Face

I certainly can't fault the majority of teachers who love their job and the kids even though they are up against it. I love hearing that a teacher loves their job. While I had many, many issues at school (I should say schools...after all thanks to my parents who moved around just for kicks I went to 13 of them in 12 years) almost none of them were related to the teachers. However I know in just the 5 years we had our daughters in the local public school I can't tell you how often a teacher was threatened by a parent. I honestly don't know how you all do it. Keep up the good work.

I certainly can't fault the majority of teachers who love their job and the kids even though they are up against it. I love hearing that a teacher loves their job. While I had many, many issues at school (I should say schools...after all thanks to my parents who moved around just for kicks I went to 13 of them in 12 years) almost none of them were related to the teachers. However I know in just the 5 years we had our daughters in the local public school I can't tell you how often a teacher was threatened by a parent. I honestly don't know how you all do it. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! In my twenty-two years of teaching I have found that most teachers are good teachers or are at least trying to be good teachers. Most do it because they enjoy working with their students and helping them grow and achieve their goals. There will always be bad apples in the bunch and problems with the educational system, but the same can be said about any other occupation. Enough ranting.
Now back to our regular broadcast.

Jim Brown

Banned
a hugging ban seems extreme, but I don't see that as PC Crap. Being PC is about race, color, physical differences, etc. not about not wearing shorts or hugging.

Again, when I hear "vintage values" and "PC crap" it makes the hardest working man in showbiz wonder....

Flicka

One Too Many
Banning rainbows certainly wouldn't be considered PC here.

And as the aunt and godmother of a little girl with Down's who just found out what the children at the kindergarten where said girl's brother goes have been saying about her, I'm rather pleased that the teachers are so 'PC' that they reacted with outrage when they found out. And to be honest, at the moment, I'm rather pleased our legislation doesn't allow the parents of said children to homeschool them, since I find them to be the most likely source of words and expressions no 4 y/o should know...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
a hugging ban seems extreme, but I don't see that as PC Crap. Being PC is about race, color, physical differences, etc. not about not wearing shorts or hugging.

Again, when I hear "vintage values" and "PC crap" it makes the hardest working man in showbiz wonder....

No, it's PC crap. Being PC is not limited to those issues you mention. In fact, insisting that such is the case is, well, PC crap....

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Banning rainbows certainly wouldn't be considered PC here.

And as the aunt and godmother of a little girl with Down's who just found out what the children at the kindergarten where said girl's brother goes have been saying about her, I'm rather pleased that the teachers are so 'PC' that they reacted with outrage when they found out. And to be honest, at the moment, I'm rather pleased our legislation doesn't allow the parents of said children to homeschool them, since I find them to be the most likely source of words and expressions no 4 y/o should know...

Reacting to actual cruelty is not "PC crap", it's common sense. As for banning home schooling, do you not realize that the children being cruel to your niece are the products of the STATE school system. So, state monopoly on schooling doesn't, in fact, guarantee equity, does it?

I know many families that home school, and their children do not taunt those with disabilities or anyone else. I do know many families with children in the state school system whose children are bullied routinely. I was bullied routinely in the PC-run state school system.

Sorry, a ban on home schooling solves nothing. Whether or not home schooling is a "vintage" philosophy is up for discussion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass