Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hooded driers

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I was wondering if any of you ladies who set your hair all all the time have hooded driers?

I usually just set my over night, but I keep finding that so often my hair isn't dry yet in the morning. A lot of the time it's too wet to even hit with a blow drier until it's dry. I was thinking about trying to buy myself a hooded drier. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me. Or if people had them and liked them/didn't like them.

Thanks!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
If you are referring to this type:

2011-09-25171736.jpg
[/IMG]
Then it is VERY nice to have. I hate sleeping in curlers of any type. While it still takes time to dry, it's much more comfortable to read with a glass of wine instead of catching z'ss in pincurls. I tend to do my hair in the evening, remove the curlers, and brush out in the morning. Maybe not the best result, but I'm happy with it.

Be aware that these are noisy contraptions-at least mine is! The had it on the stand (which I bought), or one you could place on a tabletop. I opted for the stand, because I can't think of a flat surface in my home that I can sit comfortably under. One caveat. I planned on sitting under the hood while happily perched on my sofa- with the glass of wine. Didn't work. The back of the sofa is too thick, and the hood doesn't have enough clearance to shove over the sofa back. So I have to use a desk chair. Other than that, I love it.

Last edited:

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I meant the hooded driers just like that one.

Sitting with a glass of wine and letting my hair dry sounds so so lovely. Where did you get yours?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Can you still buy those? I'd love one, or even the ones that have a hose that goes onto your hairdryer with a bag type hood attached. Actually, I really only remember those from Girls World sets from the 70's!

Any one know where you can still get either in the UK?

Drappa

One Too Many
Can you still buy those? I'd love one, or even the ones that have a hose that goes onto your hairdryer with a bag type hood attached. Actually, I really only remember those from Girls World sets from the 70's!

Any one know where you can still get either in the UK?
Amazon and Ebay! The hose ones sell on both for £6-7, and you can get both new or vintage hooded ones on a stand for £18-80.

Last edited:

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I have a vintage salon hooded dryer. My hair doesn't dry overnight often so I usually set my hair before bed sit under it for an hour then I go to bed and and my hair is then dry otherwise it is still damp. I got my dryer off of craigslist for $40 dollars will try to post picture later.

crwritt

One Too Many
If you are referring to this type:

2011-09-25171736.jpg
[/IMG]
Then it is VERY nice to have. I hate sleeping in curlers of any type. While it still takes time to dry, it's much more comfortable to read with a glass of wine instead of catching z'ss in pincurls. I tend to do my hair in the evening, remove the curlers, and brush out in the morning. Maybe not the best result, but I'm happy with it.

Be aware that these are noisy contraptions-at least mine is! The had it on the stand (which I bought), or one you could place on a tabletop. I opted for the stand, because I can't think of a flat surface in my home that I can sit comfortably under. One caveat. I planned on sitting under the hood while happily perched on my sofa- with the glass of wine. Didn't work. The back of the sofa is too thick, and the hood doesn't have enough clearance to shove over the sofa back. So I have to use a desk chair. Other than that, I love it.
I love my hard bonnet dryer. I have the babyliss one.
get
I usually use it rolled up to my computer desk. It will dry my unset naturally curly hair in about 15 minutes, as I read emails. I recently figured out how to watch movies on TV while using it, with TV ears!http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...ex=aps&hvadid=20638154&ref=pd_sl_8zt71uhlvr_e
My husband and I bought these wireless earphones because hard rain on our living room skylights was so loud we couldn't hear dialog. The other night I set up my chair and hairdryer, along with the TV ears, I could watch the movie and dry my hair at the same time.

virgi

New in Town
you would be much better off with a bonnet type hair dryer. I own a lady sunbeam from the 60s and had a hard top type hooded dryer as well. The lady sunbeam gets my hair dry fast, since it completely encapsulates your hair. The problem with the hooded hard top dryer is that it doesn't extend long enough off the table to sit under. You also don't have to be too stationary with the bonnet hair dryer, and I've used it when putting on my makeup. Here's an old commercial, I have the hat box type dryer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3p1CoOLiX8

Last edited:

Tatum

Practically Family
^ Oh my, I want the one that's small enough to clip to your apron and walk around with! I have an old bonnet drier (I think 50s) that I don't use often but I do love it.

virgi

New in Town
one more thing, the bonnet hair dryer is excellent when dying hard to color hair, like greys. Greys need heat in order to absorb color.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've only run across one of those hard hooded dryers in all my years of estate sale & thrift shopping. It was pink and it was attached to a pink vinyl chair. Huge contraption! I think it was probably 1960s, but I passed it up due to a lack of space.

I've seen both the hard type and the soft type that attach to a regular hair dryer at Sally Beauty Supply.

Also one thing that may help is letting your hair dry more before you set it. After I wash my hair I let it air dry until it is only slightly damp, then I set it. Otherwise there's no way mine would dry overnight. If you do a true cold set from soaking wet hair, you'll probably need at least 2 days for it to dry.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Well, I picked up my hooded dryer yesterday and for just over a tenner I am pleased! It belonged to the lady's gran so it's not newish and probably wasn't that expensive when new - the stand pulls apart and the feet are tubular and quite flimsy, not the moulded ABS ones with castors you get now, but it seems to work just fine.

I had a go last night but I don't think I was under it for long enough as I thought my hair was dry (it's fine and ususally dries too quickly), but it was just slightly damp at the scalp when I took the velcro rollers out. I'll need a bit more practice, but I think thy're ace!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran