Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hookless Zipper Hell

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Thanks for all of your help guys - I contacted the buyer and it turned out he was incredibly cool about it - just said no sweat, its no big deal at all and he has a place in town who can fix it, please send it anyway. Good info for future reference re: replacement zippers anyway!

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Thanks for all of your help guys - I contacted the buyer and it turned out he's was incredibly cool about it - just said no sweat, its no big deal at all and he has a place in town who can fix it, please send it anyway. Good info for future reference re: replacement zippers anyway!
That’s fantastic news indeed!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for all of your help guys - I contacted the buyer and it turned out he was incredibly cool about it - just said no sweat, its no big deal at all and he has a place in town who can fix it, please send it anyway. Good info for future reference re: replacement zippers anyway!

I’d recommend suggesting to him that he contact FW. If they source him (a non faulty version of) the right part, he can have his repair shop install it.

willyto

One Too Many
How big a job is it to replace an entire zipper?
I would say that only a very good leatherworker should attempt it. They have to match every stitch hole in the leather in order to do it right.

I have seen so many wonky jobs I wouldn’t trust anyone but a real expert who has good feedback.

How big a job is it to replace an entire zipper?

Big. Replacement itself isn't too complicated but getting it to not look like absolute garbage is crazy difficult because the machinist would have to make sure the needle goes through the same hole. And they won't. Good tailor won't even go through the original stitch row as the additional set of perforations might weaken the leather enough so that it rips open (think postage stamp sheet) but that's no good either since the jacket will have a row of empty needle holes.

I didn't see this thread until now but luckily, what happened here doesn't require services of leather repair person. The zipper machine broke off clean which is the best kind of failure that could've happened to the zipper as it is replaceable.
Advise the buyer to order the Hookless zipper in the same size. All he needs is to do is slightly pry it open with jewelers pliers, stick the teeth in and close it. Pulling it up and down will set the teeth in place and voila. It's fussy but doable. I've repaired five or six zippers this way.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
When doing zipper replacements like that please use smooth jaw pliers.
I recently picked up a LW in the clasifieds, the previous owner had swapped all the sliders and had basically ruined every single slider on the jacket with cross hatched/sharp pliers.
All of them where scratched everywhere, full of deep gouges, it was a mess.

I replaced all of them using flat jaw pliers and the swap is invisible.
I really like these pliers to press the slider shut, it is flat and smooth, gives great leverage and allows great control: (they do a 150mm size which are perfect for the job)

ZFLUwQe.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When doing zipper replacements like that please use smooth jaw pliers.
I recently picked up a LW in the clasifieds, the previous owner had swapped all the sliders and had basically ruined every single slider on the jacket with cross hatched/sharp pliers.
All of them where scratched everywhere, full of deep gouges, it was a mess.

I replaced all of them using flat jaw pliers and the swap is invisible.
I really like these pliers to press the slider shut, it is flat and smooth, gives great leverage and allows great control: (they do a 150mm size which are perfect for the job)

ZFLUwQe.jpg
Knipex makes wonderful tools. I use those pliers at work on a daily basis.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I did that earlier this winter going through some old clothes. It was a Lightning zipper from an old Army duffel bag, It had a key ring for a pull, and I've reefed on that thing for 30 years and it finally gave...It was sad for a moment, but I've moved on...it's cheaper to buy a whole new duffel bag than deal with finding and installing a replacement zipper in this case...there's a pile of them at the surplus.

Your jacket might take some time to track down the right zipper to replace it, but it's worth taking a long time and doing it right, don't give up!!

be patient...

you might be able to keep the original 'pull' and swap the busted part out for something new and kinda would still be sort of original that way if that can even be done??

I have found those lightning Zippers from time to time in the thrift store, that's the first place to start looking, it took me a few years but I got a pretty good collection of vintage zippers. I swore I had that same lightning zipper in a box somewhere actually...I'll have a look and see what I got and report back if I find something ok?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112