Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide Battle Rd 1. Schott 641 vs Lost World Easy Rider

Damo

A-List Customer
Hello again everyone!!

really thought I had my next jacket figured out. It was going to be the Schott 641 Horsehide but for some reason I keep eyeing down the Lost Worlds Easy Rider in Horsehide. Has anyone out there handled both and if so, can you contribute some ideas to help with this battle.

Heres what I know (if i'm wrong please tell me);

Schott is few hundred $$$ less, looks to be more shinier (sp?), isn't as thick and is more slim fitting??

Lost Worlds owner doesn't seem to be well liked here, but people really can't fault him for the quality of his jackets.

Game on!!!!

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
LW would be nice if it wasn't screaming heavy leather fetish. Schott's HH is borderline stiff for casual wear. I don't even want to deal with 4oz uphostery LW leather.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
also all LW hh I have seen have that flat matte look to them. The Schott will develop a nice patina but be aware that the jacket will be shiny as hell when new. ( unwanted attention) It will tone down with wear but takes a while.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Go Lost Worlds / Aero / Johnson leathers. I have had a horsehide Schott jacket briefly, and the leather was inferior to my Aero in every way.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Go Lost Worlds / Aero / Johnson leathers. I have had a horsehide Schott jacket briefly, and the leather was inferior to my Aero in every way.

This is highly a matter of preference... Schott's horsehide is very high-quality, vegetable tanned Italian horsehide. CXL leather is combination tanned. To each his own.

Last edited:

Damo

A-List Customer
also all LW hh I have seen have that flat matte look to them. The Schott will develop a nice patina but be aware that the jacket will be shiny as hell when new. ( unwanted attention) It will tone down with wear but takes a while.

Interesting point, I didn't know that the 641 will patina and the LW easy rider won't. One thing I like about the easy rider is the 4 ounce leather.

Damo

A-List Customer
A quick wipe with rubbing alcohol will remove the shine.

So does this basically remove some of the finish? I know little about leather so i apologize in advance if my questions are stupid. Does this change some of the characteristics of the leather, water?? Does it dry the leather out? Will the leather last as long??

Have you seen someone do it before?? Thx

Damo

A-List Customer

Jimmer, don't be bringing in other fighters to this battle ;-). When you say schott's leather is inferior, what specifically do you mean? Thx

Damo, you don't have to rub it with alcohol, the jacket will start loosing its glossy coating after a month of wear or less, depends on how often you're wearing it, and after half a year, you won't believe it's the same jacket. As nick123 pointed out, Schott HH indeed gets really beautiful after some wear, and also, while it's relatively stiff at first, once the jacket gets broken in, I don't think you could find a softer leather. Has that buttery feel to it everyone's talking about. Great stuff. Almost too nice for that MC style...
Other than that, it's 3oz thick, exactly as Aero (comparison I've made some time ago: http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/MC ) and I was using mine as a riding jacket and it never soaked a drop of rain so yeah, so much about inferiority. Schott says glossy finish is an added water protection so in theory, rubbing it off shouldn't do much to the jacket as the thing will eventually disappear by itself, but I'd rather kick the jacket around the house for a few days to tone it down, than rub alcohol into it. But it indeed starts off shiny as hell...

What sucks is that despite the order size up bs on Schott com, my 618 wasn't a trim fitting jacket at all, and that's something you should be careful about. Email them for size charts.

As for LW, I wouldn't even consider it because I am not man enough for it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I always look out for people saying "I've had this jacket for years. It's holding up great" when gauging leather quality (durability/longevity>aesthetics in my book). These Schott jackets hold up fine.
This particular hh is finished so you're in the clear. I'd be more concerned about a naked leather, if you're wearing it in the rain a lot.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So does this basically remove some of the finish? I know little about leather so i apologize in advance if my questions are stupid. Does this change some of the characteristics of the leather, water?? Does it dry the leather out? Will the leather last as long??

Have you seen someone do it before?? Thx

The leather will be fine.

Last edited:
There's really nothing anyone can complain about Schott when it comes to quality and longevity. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to shorten a lifespan of a Schott jacket, short of downright destroying the jacket...

Damo

A-List Customer
Damo, you don't have to rub it with alcohol, the jacket will start loosing its glossy coating after a month of wear or less, depends on how often you're wearing it, and after half a year, you won't believe it's the same jacket. As nick123 pointed out, Schott HH indeed gets really beautiful after some wear, and also, while it's relatively stiff at first, once the jacket gets broken in, I don't think you could find a softer leather. Has that buttery feel to it everyone's talking about. Great stuff. Almost too nice for that MC style...
Other than that, it's 3oz thick, exactly as Aero (comparison I've made some time ago: http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/MC ) and I was using mine as a riding jacket and it never soaked a drop of rain so yeah, so much about inferiority. Schott says glossy finish is an added water protection so in theory, rubbing it off shouldn't do much to the jacket as the thing will eventually disappear by itself, but I'd rather kick the jacket around the house for a few days to tone it down, than rub alcohol into it. But it indeed starts off shiny as hell...

What sucks is that despite the order size up bs on Schott com, my 618 wasn't a trim fitting jacket at all, and that's something you should be careful about. Email them for size charts.

As for LW, I wouldn't even consider it because I am not man enough for it.

Monitor,

I tried clicking on the link from your post but to continue any further I needed a password. If i got the Schott HH, i don't think id be man enough to rub alcohol on it to remove the shine. I like your idea of it wearing off on its own. And yes I am leery about ordering a size up. I have received a sizing chart and I think I would be either a 38 or 40. My chest is about 43 with a tee shirt on and based on the sizing chart id be fine. I also would like the jacket to be fitted.

Was your last sentence regarding LW a schott at their jacket descriptions???

I think it was a reference to the thickness and overall "burly ness" of a LW jacket. If you think Aeros are bullet proof, they ain't nothin' against a LW......;-)

Damo

A-List Customer
I think it was a reference to the thickness and overall "burly ness" of a LW jacket. If you think Aeros are bullet proof, they ain't nothin' against a LW......;-)

who doesn't love a manly man's jacket!!! Seriously though the look and thickness of the LW easy rider draws me to it.

I've had an Aero FQHH, and here in Southern California it's too much. I'm scared to even contemplate a LW, even though I really like the Suburban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails