Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot Cross Buns for Lent

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
While at the Salon event the other evening I saw the bartender say to a young lady that he had given something up for Lent. He was met with a totally blank expression. I said to him, "You just got a "What the heck is Lent?" look. He agreed.
Anyhow, it's Lent now, and that always makes me think of Hot Cross Buns. Hot Cross Buns and a cup of coffee for a weekend breakfast. Yumm.
Any other Hot Cross Bun fans?

LordBest

Practically Family
Last year I made some homemade buns which were rather successful. Though it can be surprisingly difficult to get the cross right. I just can't find bakery mae buns that are spiced and fruity enough for my taste.

Talbot

One Too Many
Love the bunnies. Breadshops here seem to stock them from mid Feb.

Toasted buns with salty butter accompanied by freshly brewed coffee. Eaten outdoors on the patio to greet the coming of Autumn.

Mmmm...

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Talbot: I'm curious. AustZealanders have obviously brought Northern Hemisphere, European traditions with them to the Southern Hemisphere, and celebrate Christmas at the same time as the rest of us, even tho the whole longest night of the year thing gets thoroughly lost in translation. Likewise Easter.
I was wondering, are there any holidays down there, or any other newly evolved traditons, that celebrate the onset of winter and spring in an organic way, the way Christmas and Easter celebrate them on our side of the planet? it would be a shame if you don't. Tho I do realize that on your side of the world the seasons go from temperate to scorching, instead of from hot to cold.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Talbot: I'm curious. AustZealanders have obviously brought Northern Hemisphere, European traditions with them to the Southern Hemisphere, and celebrate Christmas at the same time as the rest of us, even tho the whole longest night of the year thing gets thoroughly lost in translation. Likewise Easter.
I was wondering, are there any holidays down there, or any other newly evolved traditons, that celebrate the onset of winter and spring in an organic way, the way Christmas and Easter celebrate them on our side of the planet? it would be a shame if you don't. Tho I do realize that on your side of the world the seasons go from temperate to scorching, instead of from hot to cold.

The problem is that those festivals have been brought over in their Christian context, not in their seasonal context. The Blue Mountains have Winter Magic http://www.wintermagic.com.au/ but aside from that I don't know of anything specific to mark the seasons.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Then somebody should invent them! Antifestivus for the Rest of Us!
There should be something for the longest night of the year, for sure, especially in the south where the day length difference is the greatest between summer and winter. Just psycholgically, people need it.
And since Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of spring (or something like that), then you should invent a festival that corresponds to that down under. You could call it the Bunny Hop. :)

Last edited:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I agree with you. When I was little, the Queen's Birthday holiday (in June) was always celebrated with bonfires and fireworks, and that really filled the role of a Samhain sort of festival. Anything that has that sort of light in the darkness of winter I think feeds something really primal in us.

Talbot

One Too Many

I guess our season changes are not severe enough to warrant celebration, which is a pity.

Being from Melbourne, we can have all 4 seasons in the same day so it may get a tad confusing!

Having said that, I'm all for holidays, psychologically speaking.;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy