Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How and where do you store your winter coats?

Kimberly

Practically Family
Yikes, I have accumulated approx. 9 more coats this winter and it is taking up a lot of closet space that needs to be freed up for my other purchases. Is there anything special you ladies to in the summer to your coats to get them ready for storage and where do you store them?

Thanks

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
I live in a state that stays above 80 degrees most of the year so I just keep them all in my hall closet (for the record I own 2 coats, 1 jacket, and 1 cardigan jacket thing) The only reason I have 2 coats is because one I use for work (I have to go into a walk-in cooler and freezer every day for work).

But if I found myself needing to put them elsewhere I'd prolly put them into one of those vaccume bags and put it in my storage unit.

(I cannot seem to spell today and this thing does not seem to have a spell checker...rawr)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a constant battle with moths here, so I've set up an airtight portable closet in the cellar -- it's plastic stretched over a metal framework, and zippers completely closed. What I do before packing away the coats for the season is store each one in the chest freezer for 48 hours to be sure and kill any moths that might be present, and then hang them in the airtight closet until they're needed in the fall. It's not the easiest system to use, but it has kept my coats and other woolens free from unwanted holes for several years now.

Of course, it'll be another month or two before I'm sure I wont need my winter coats again, so I won't be putting them away for a while yet...

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, yes, I purchased a few of those covered portable closets from the Martha Stewart collection at KMart. They are pretty well made and a good price on sale. These I use to hang up the current season's clothes in my sewing room. Forgot to mention LizzieMaine's system of freezing the wool coats in the deep freeze for a couple of days before I squash them into the STACKMAX bags. Then I put the compressed bags under a bed. Or I will. It's still a little chilly yet here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy