Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I get that upturned brim back?

Eelephant

Familiar Face
OK, so I've got this felt pork pie that I have been wearing for a while on the farm, where it has been exposed to the elements, gotten wet, sun beating down on it all day, etc... Probably not the best quality hat in the world either so.... Bottom line is the brim has fallen a bit flat, doesn't have much of that upturned quality any more, starting to look more like a boater! :)

So, what to do? I can probably make a frame or something (maybe even just stiff wire) to put the hat in to uniformly upturn the brim all the way around, but then what? spray it with water and let it dry? Put some chemical or something on it to stiffen it up while its being held with brim upturned?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Edward

Bartender
Wool felt or fur felt? If it's wool felt, my experience suggest you're out of luck. If fur felt, then yes, steam - and perhaps a little spray-on hat stiffener if steam alone doesn't quite get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran