Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How cold can you still ride a motorcycle in a Schott 740N peacoat?

SlowRain

New in Town
Hi! This is my first post here. I'm looking for a little bit nicer, cool-weather coat for weekend wear. My style mostly tends to be along the heritage line (a bit of work wear or Western wear, too). The thing is I'm an expat in Taiwan, which means I have less access to all the brands you do. Another thing to note is that everyone rides scooters and motorcycles here.

I already have a parka for work and really cool days. I'm wondering if a Schott 740N would be okay for cool days on a motorcycle. It's 32oz, 80% wool, and it has a quilted nylon lining. For those of you who own one and who ride a motorcycle, what's the coldest temperature you'd still ride in with that coat? Barring that, what else is a little nicer-looking coat (not leather, though) for really cool days and which can handle the wind of riding on a motorcycle, and which isn't any more expensive than this peacoat? Maybe a Gloverall mid-length duffle coat? Something else?

Thanks!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi! This is my first post here. I'm looking for a little bit nicer, cool-weather coat for weekend wear. My style mostly tends to be along the heritage line (a bit of work wear or Western wear, too). The thing is I'm an expat in Taiwan, which means I have less access to all the brands you do. Another thing to note is that everyone rides scooters and motorcycles here.

I already have a parka for work and really cool days. I'm wondering if a Schott 740N would be okay for cool days on a motorcycle. It's 32oz, 80% wool, and it has a quilted nylon lining. For those of you who own one and who ride a motorcycle, what's the coldest temperature you'd still ride in with that coat? Barring that, what else is a little nicer-looking coat (not leather, though) for really cool days and which can handle the wind of riding on a motorcycle, and which isn't any more expensive than this peacoat? Maybe a Gloverall mid-length duffle coat? Something else?

Thanks!

I would not ride in that coat even if it was warm...
A peacoat is not adapted to MC riding, it has buttons which will let the wind in (and could break and come open if you crash), it's too long and will be uncomfortable to sit in, it has a huge collar that will flap away in the wind, it sounds like a total nightmare.
Just get yourself a regular motorcycle jacket and stop trying to reinvent the wheel, there are reasons why motorcycle jackets are what they are...

SlowRain

New in Town
Oops! I should add this is just running around the city, not out on the highways, so the wind resistance will be a little less because of the speed and all the buildings around. And it's just short trips, nothing too long.

SlowRain

New in Town
Well, not exactly 20mph for 10 minutes. More like 50-80km/h (30-50mph) for up to 30 minutes. And the daytime temperatures can range anywhere from 8-25°C (46-77°F) in the winter here. Like I said, I have a parka for the colder end of that range if necessary (say 8-12°C). I'm just wondering what's the coldest temperature some of the users on here have ridden in their Schott 740N peacoat, just so I can get a feel for its warmth and wind resistance and if it'll fit in with my needs.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, not exactly 20mph for 10 minutes. More like 50-80km/h (30-50mph) for up to 30 minutes. And the daytime temperatures can range anywhere from 8-25°C (46-77°F) in the winter here. Like I said, I have a parka for the colder end of that range if necessary (say 8-12°C). I'm just wondering what's the coldest temperature some of the users on here have ridden in their Schott 740N peacoat, just so I can get a feel for its warmth and wind resistance and if it'll fit in with my needs.
At 8 degrees/80 km/h/30 minutes I would want a warm, windproof jacket. I think the one you want is not one of them, as Carlos has well described.

I think there will also be little experience. I don't know anyone who would seriously ride a motorcycle with a coat like that. Even if it is only in the city.

SlowRain

New in Town
I can appreciate that the number of people who have done this in the past for whatever reason will be quite few. I just need one or two people to let me know how cold they were comfortably able to wear their 740N on a motorcycle, that's all. And, like I said, I can wear my parka for the 8-12°C days, speeds range from 50-80km/h depending on which road I'm on that day, and times can be up to 30 minutes if I have to go somewhere further that day. I doubt I'd even venture out on a 30-minute ride, going down the 80km/h road, and on a day that was 8°C if I were wearing my parka.

Alternatively, I'd be interested in some non-leather options which may serve my needs. But I don't think I'd want to pay more than what this coat costs. It would also have to look a little more stylish than a parka, otherwise I'll just stick with what I've been using all along.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

The point is i don't think many people ride in a Peacoat...

If you are riding at 80km/h for 30 min in 8c you need a real motorcycle jacket, not a peacoat.
Same with a Parka, it will offer zero protection if you go down.

SlowRain

New in Town
Like I said, I can appreciate that there aren't many people who have tried it, but I'm pretty sure there are a few who have. And, the reality is no one here wears a leather coat or a real motorcycle jacket just for city riding.

I can also appreciate that all of this may sound dangerous to those who are not living in Asia, but it's just the way it is here. It will also no doubt come as a shock that summer riding is done in simple cotton shirts and pants; it's just that the temperature increases to 33-35°C. This is my real-world, lived experience--and has been for a very long time now. I just need to find a nice-looking coat that fits in with it.

Last edited:

barnabus

One Too Many
I can appreciate that there aren't many people who have tried it,

There probably aren't many people who have tried it because it's bonkers.

Wear something windproof with a zip, at least. Something in waxed cotton like a Barbour or a Belstaff maybe. Or even something nice and traditionally styled but designed for riding;

Alternatively: do what you want and wear what you want, and please report back to us how you get on with it : )

barnabus

One Too Many
Or maybe do like the original bikers did after the war and get yourself an N-1?

N1-deck-jacket-Denimhunters-Hells-Angels.jpg

SlowRain

New in Town
The deck jacket certainly ticks the boxes from a materials and practicality standpoint, but most that I've seen either overdo it with the army regalia or else with the price. They also seem a bit short, and I'm not really sure that's my thing. I can consider one if I can find one that looks nice and isn't too expensive. How warm are they on a motorcycle?

barnabus

One Too Many
The deck jacket certainly ticks the boxes from a materials and practicality standpoint, but most that I've seen either overdo it with the army regalia or else with the price. They also seem a bit short, and I'm not really sure that's my thing. I can consider one if I can find one that looks nice and isn't too expensive. How warm are they on a motorcycle?
You already ride I presume?

Then you'll know that on the bike any jacket feels about 10 degrees less effective than it does when your standing still. The main thing for warmth on the bike is keeping the wind out I think. That's why you need a zip jacket. A peacoat would be a liability.

Bronson do what looks like a nice N-1, although I have never seen one in the flesh.

SlowRain

New in Town
The materials and price on that one look okay, but I think I'd like something that looks a little sharper. Is there a website which just happens to have a really large selection of decent-quality men's jackets where I can compare a few different brands and styles? I'm just doing random Google searches, and I don't really have a way to quickly filter out the lower quality ones and the ones which are out of my price range.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Just to clarify - you are looking for something looking smart that you can also use on a bike, right? Are you also looking for protection in case of a slide?

SlowRain

New in Town
Yes, something smart looking, but not formal. No, I'm not looking for any protection in case of a slide. I've worn nothing but Gore-Tex for many, many years now. I'm not against it--I'd be quite fine with it again, actually--but it's really hard to find something that doesn't make me look like a mountain climber.

Last edited:

Yango

One of the Regulars
When it’s cold, you’ll freeze in a woollen jacket. The wind will just blow right through the material. I know from experience.

You’d be better off getting a Belstaff waxed cotton jacket. It’ll cut the wind and they come with quilted liners for the cold. Maybe something like this:
05242C7F-A0B4-4866-99B6-4A426C62A3C4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff