Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How cold can you still ride a motorcycle in a Schott 740N peacoat?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just so I get this right.. you are looking for a fashionable hard-shell jacket that‘s wind resistant to wear on the bike…

so.. some other member here very recently discovered this new material called leather, maybe you can dm him and find out more about it.. :D

In all seriousness though, don‘t mean to ridicule you, but your requirements scream leather. Why not leather and this fixation on wool/canvas?
You raise a good point But in all fairness, I just don’t think leather is very well suited to motorcycle riding.
if it were, you would probably see more people wearing it while riding motorcycles, and there might even be companies that existed solely to make leather jackets for motorcycle riding.

Aloysius

Unless I'm missing something, Buzz Rickson N1 deck jackets all have an obvious USN on the front. They also look a little too aged/worn/vintage/authentic for my wife to want to walk next to me. We saw some the other day, and she wasn't impressed. I think she'd be okay with one which was neater and more stylish, though. I'm still looking into them to see what I can find.

They make both. The patches/insignia versions of Buzz Rickson’s jackets are an upcharge over the plain versions (see here for example). I get the plain versions because I live in the US in an area with a lot of veterans so I don’t want to give the impression of a fake service history, haha.

You might also be interested in the A-2 (not the pilot windbreaker, but the successor to the N-1). It looks less retro in design than the WWII style, while providing the same warmth and protection from the elements.

Hinoya has a blue and green one in stock, as well as a jungle cloth version, more to come with a restock I expect.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
One word - Kevlar.

SlowRain

New in Town
They make both. The patches/insignia versions of Buzz Rickson’s jackets are an upcharge over the plain versions (see here for example). I get the plain versions because I live in the US in an area with a lot of veterans so I don’t want to give the impression of a fake service history, haha.

You might also be interested in the A-2 (not the pilot windbreaker, but the successor to the N-1). It looks less retro in design than the WWII style, while providing the same warmth and protection from the elements.

Hinoya has a blue and green one in stock, as well as a jungle cloth version, more to come with a restock I expect.
Something like this one could work, but it's too expensive and the insulation may affect my layering:

The note about the zipper is worrying, too.

But I'll definitely keep my eyes out for an N1 or A2 in jungle cloth to see if they come in a color I like. That material seems like a good option for me. Thanks!

Aloysius

Something like this one could work, but it's too expensive and the insulation may affect my layering:

[/URL][/URL]

The note about the zipper is worrying, too.

But I'll definitely keep my eyes out for an N1 or A2 in jungle cloth to see if they come in a color I like. That material seems like a good option for me. Thanks!

Ignore the note about the zipper. It’s an example of Engrish. Buzz Rickson’s uses very good zippers.

There’s still a Gibson collab N-1 in stock, in size 38, for $100 cheaper. You can also look at Tanker jackets which are the same thing as an N-1 basically except Army instead of Navy.

All that said, if you’re looking to do a layered thing, basically everything that’s been floated here (including pea coats) except the waxed cotton jackets is a bad choice. These have almost all been standalone insulated jackets/coats, not shells.

SlowRain

New in Town
Thanks. The hooks on that other jacket give me pause. I'd have to see how it looks in person.

If I get something with dedicated insulation, that reduces the usability in my situation, depending on how effective the insulation is. It means it won't be as versatile as I'd like, and I'd likely get less wear time out of it. Considering the price I'd be paying for the materials and workmanship, I'd rather it not spend too much time in the closet.

Last edited:

Aloysius

Not knocking you for that. Just pointing out that, in that case, your approach here has been wrong-headed from the start. (Again, not an insult; wrong-headed meaning going in the wrong direction.)

Peacoats are thick wool coats, Deck jackets are cord jackets with a thick wool lining, etc. None of these things will work for what you’re looking for.

SlowRain

New in Town
Yeah, I started out looking for a more dedicated, thicker coat because I didn't think there existed an effective way to layer outside of Gore-Tex. Then I did a one-eighty when I found out about canvas and waxed canvas. I'm looking into different types of that right now, but if I can't make that work for whatever reason, I may have to pursue other options. I want as broad a range of choices so that I can evaluate which one is going to work best in my situation. Also, a lot of the brands and products available overseas aren't available here. So even if I find something that works perfectly, I may have to take option two just because it's what's available. Or maybe if I find something that may be option two but at a really great price, then I'd consider getting it because I'm not out a whole lot of money. This has been a massive information-gathering exercise for me.

Last edited:

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
My Barbour A7 arrived in the post a few days ago, here is a terrible selfie of me wearing it out in NYC today in 23F (-5C)weather. I'm happy to report it's dry to the touch and odor free . I'm wearing with jeans, a T-shirt, and a wooly sweater I was perfectly comfortable. I've added a picture of Dave wearing his that I found on the internet. Dave here is much more stylish than I am, and his picture shows off the coat more. He's not wearing the belt, and he has sized his to be more fitted. Mine is oversized for layering over A sweater.... and riding armor...

...my belly

I'm very happy with mine.

EAA1F101-46A9-446D-9CB8-24538A67DF40.jpeg
3F3E58D5-7BD0-4D02-87ED-80D3D7FB5D82.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider