Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you start wearing hats?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, I believe it's about time for me to share my story.

For most of my life, I guess you can say that I haven't been a regular hat wearer. I don't know much about my hat wearing habits before a certain date, but there was an exception to this though; at the age of eight, or maybe nine I had taken up to wearing a tan felt cowboy hat (that probably used to be my Dad's I think, I'm not too sure on it's origins). I was actually into western wear, and dressed like a cowboy (my typical attire would consist of the hat, jeans, flannel shirts, denim shirts, a light blue western shirt, and even actual cowboy boots) for three or four years; started the practice during 1997 or 1998, and effectively ended it by 2001. You could say that I had given in to peer pressure; that is, to "dress like everyone else," wearing clothing that was more normal for kids my age. This essentially included dropping the western wear in favor of t-shirts, jeans and shorts, sometimes polos.

Well, for years I was the sort of person to be hatless about 99% of the time, on rare occasion wearing a baseball cap (usually to an actual baseball game, or if it was very hot outside and I wanted some sun protection). Around 2002 or 2003, don't remember the year actually, I had briefly dabbled into flatcap territory. Basically, I stepped into a clothing department store at a mall, saw a dark grey, tweed flatcap (it had a logo on the back though), and I wore that day, and after that, just sometimes, until it got to a point where I didn't wear it at all anymore.

To go forward into 2008, I had started developing my interest in hats again, through various factors. I had entered into college for the first time during fall, and around this time, I started becoming more interested in dressing nicer than I did before, to appear presentable. I've decided that since I was in college now, I should maintain a somewhat professional appearance. This did not include hats just yet, but I was fascinated with the idea, due to my usual exposure to them on campus. Occasionally I would (I still do see these types around actually) spot a student or two in the crowd wearing a stingy brim fedora, usually cotton, sometimes wool or fur felt, even a couple of my professors wear fur felt hats regularly (fedoras, and Australian outback hats, respectively).

By spring 2009, at the last day of the semester, I almost bought a straw or cotton stingy fedora, but decided to hold off on it, to buy a hat of better quality. Eventually, on my birthday, I had received a wider brimmed straw fedora (admittedly, it is a cheap so-called "Panama" that is actually shantung, it probably won't last for another year), and a wool Jaxon C-Crown type, the latter of which was actually a darker color than was advertised, although I kept it anyway. Not long after that, I started wearing these hats, and even brought the wool with me on a family vacation to the east coast and Canada. For Christmas, I had bought an Akubra Federation IV regular in the dark brown color, and that is the hat I'm seen appearing in most these days. I actually wear it quite frequently, and I'm looking forward to my next purchase this fall. Right now, the plan is to basically get one or two hats a year. At this point however, I'm only after quality fur felts or nicer straws. I want the most out of my money, and I would prefer quality than quantity.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I've always liked hats, and bought myself an Akubra Stockman back in 2001 when I was over in Australia. I've worn that a fair amount (and a couple of other Akubras I've picked up), but only usually in bad weather to keep myself dry, or in the sun for some protection. At the back end of last year I just kind of decided I wanted to wear hats more often, so I got myself a couple of (wool) fedoras and started wearing them to work. Now I wear a hat most of the time when I leave the house.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Akubra is always a good starter hat. What are you wearing for wool?

A Jaxon C-crown in black, works pretty well for me (and can get stuffed into a bag if needed). Mind you, a couple of Stetsons and two FedIVs have joined the fold in the last few months, so they get worn more than the wool...

MCrider

A-List Customer
S. Beagles said:
I remember when I was a kid my grandfather always wore a Fedora. He didn't even go out to check the mail box without putting his hat on. His younger days would have been in the 1920's and '30's. As a child I associated the hat with dignity and respect just like I did my grandfather I suppose.

I've already posted my story on how I started (#209), but as an added bonus, your story reminded me of how for almost a year after I started wearing fedora's again, my mom would look at me and the hats. One day she asked why I wore them and I told her that it's just the type of hat I liked. She then told me about my great grandfather on my Dad's side that was pretty much like yours. He wore one everyday up until he died which was before I was born. Then she told me that me wearing them reminded her so much of how he wore them. I could tell those were pleasant memories for her, so in a way it's a family tradition. Hmmm I wonder if hat wear is hereditary.

:)

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
I started when I was about 18. I had a pretty big thing for Indy, Noir films, Blues brothers, and the 30's and 40's style in my teenage years so I saved up and bought a black Stetson. Probably seeing Millers Crossing was also a big influence. The hat (and others) got a fair use and by University my hat was pretty much my most recognisable feature. Once I started working I went a little mainstream and the hat wearing fell away - other than a Akubra Warrick which became a backyard hat as it got tatty. In the early noughty's I met my (now) wife who shared my interested in the 30's and 40's. After a bit I started wearing a cap and then back to the hat. Pretty much now wear one every day.

Personally I love that I've returned to hat wearing - its a homecoming.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
When I was 15/16, I learned that I had a knack for singing jazz. I naturally started shifting toward that eras customs, but I didn't have a fedora. It wasn't until my girls forced me into a store and made me buy my first fedora. It is to big and is losing its shape, but i wear it often and it is still one of my biggest hits.:)
Now I have over 17 fedoras...and I have to choose which 5 go with me to college. the 6th one I'll be wearing the day I move in.

singlechange

One of the Regulars
Anybody else get a request for an interview recently by a Wall Street Journal reporter? He wanted to know about my very recent decision to wear hats, so this is what I told him.....About seven years ago my 81 year old father passed on and I started looking after my mother. Much to my chagrin I found out she still loved to shop, mainly hats and scarves, at highend department stores and became her bag boy on her shopping errands. Up til then, the only fancy dressing I did was to wear to work my waiter's black bow tie at one of those expense account steak houses, so I felt a bit awkward hanging with mom and her Neiman Marcus saleswomen and decided to get some suits there. You know the rest: finding a bespoke tailor for alterations, looking at nice leather shoes, etc. So about two months ago, her hints to me about getting a hat finally seeped down into my brain and I found myself visiting this wonderful Fedora Lounge, picking up four vintage hats on eBay, introducing myself to Mr. Vincent Corvelli, a local master hatter, because I needed the hats worked on. I told the WSJ reporter that I've been pondering about my decision and came to the conclusion that my mother's influence was clearly there, plus I think I decided that hats just seemed to become a part of my suit. The suit looks more complete with that nice vintage homburg Mr. Corvelli found for me waiting in his closet.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Really enjoyed browsing through this thread. I guess like a lot of people, I've always had a liking for hats - I used to wear a flat cap when I was in college over twenty years ago - but got out of the habit when I started working.

Never really liked baseball caps but they are so ubiquitous I always had a few to hand. Then about ten years ago I got a bucket hat which instantly became my go-to hat, and I still occasionally wear to this day.

My recent conversion to the world of finer headwear came about by chance last year when, at a country fair, I came across a stall selling Aussie outback hats. On impulse I picked up a leather Kakadu offering which I instantly fell in love with. I know, I know - leather hats don't get a great press here but it is extremely comfortable, fits like a glove, takes all kinds of abuse, and can handle heavy rain and summer sun without a bother. Plus people keep complimenting me on it. And it smells nice! :eek:

So, suddenly interested in the various types of cranial protection to be found, I browsed that definitive source of knowledge, Wikipedia, and quickly realised that the kind of hat I had always unknowingly liked was called......a fedora!. Not too common in my part of the world where shorter brimmed trilbys would have been the headwear of choice in years gone by, but somehow much more exotic - American gangsters wore fedoras, whereas I'd associate trilbys with slightly prosperous country farmers - no comparison!

Which led me to acquiring a crushable wool felt Wegener fedora last December. Thought it was the bees knees until I discovered TFL.....and realised there was a thing out there called fur felt (see what a voyage of discovery this has been!). So my first felt (a grey Tonak under the Linney label) was added to my collection in March of this year followed very rapidly by my first Panama - a fedora style effort from UK retailer Marks & Spencers.

Since then too much time on this forum has inducted me into the cult religion of Akubra from whose church I recently added a Banjo Paterson to my burgeoning collection. Now I spend all my time plotting and planning future purchases. Damn you TFL, damn you! :rage: :p

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back when I was watching anime, I came across a particular gem of a show titled "Baccano!". The japanese animated program was set mostly in New York in the early 1930s. One of the 18 main characters was recently initiated into one of the prestigious (although fictional) crime families, the Martillos. Part of his initiation was going with his mentor to get his very first fedora. This was a very inspiring scene for me, especially since I had recently decided to better myself, both in clothing and in character.

That, along with Harrison Ford and Humphrey Bogart, got me looking at fedoras not too long ago. This summer, I pulled the trigger after much research on an Akubra Federation IV, and I've been wearing hats ever since. If you look at my signature, you'll find I've been quite the busy bee, buying a few different kinds of hats until I found out what I like and what looks good on me. You can see the result:

CampdraftUniversity1.jpg

Neophyte

Panda Moanium said:
Since then too much time on this forum has inducted me into the cult religion of Akubra from whose church I recently added a Banjo Paterson to my burgeoning collection. Now I spend all my time plotting and planning future purchases. Damn you TFL, damn you! :rage: :p

Amen, brother. I can't really see me buying anything but Akubra until I eventually go custom and finally vintage lol.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Neophyte said:
Amen, brother. I can't really see me buying anything but Akubra until I eventually go custom and finally vintage lol.

And you my friend have had a significant part to play in my appreciation of that brand. Have enjoyed following your voyage of discovery this past few months.

Neophyte

Panda Moanium said:
And you my friend have had a significant part to play in my appreciation of that brand. Have enjoyed following your voyage of discovery this past few months.

Thank you very much. Admittedly I know very little about hats. My latest acquisition is also the only one I have shaped correctly and will wear outside the house lol. That considered, though, I thank you for the compliment, and I am glad I could have been part of it.

...Also, welcome to the lounge :D

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
Back when I was watching anime, I came across a particular gem of a show titled "Baccano!". The japanese animated program was set mostly in New York in the early 1930s. One of the 18 main characters was recently initiated into one of the prestigious (although fictional) crime families, the Martillos. Part of his initiation was going with his mentor to get his very first fedora. This was a very inspiring scene for me, especially since I had recently decided to better myself, both in clothing and in character.

That, along with Harrison Ford and Humphrey Bogart, got me looking at fedoras not too long ago. This summer, I pulled the trigger after much research on an Akubra Federation IV, and I've been wearing hats ever since. If you look at my signature, you'll find I've been quite the busy bee, buying a few different kinds of hats until I found out what I like and what looks good on me.
and thankfully you finally found the perfect hat for you, the FedIV... I mean, the Squatter....ur.... trimmed down Squatter?.... uh... I mean, the Campdraft!

Until the next one. ;) :D

Neophyte

lol lol lol :eusa_clap

There can be no perfect hat (you know, until I go custom). I need a rotation, I need options.

The CD is the best for me of my current hats. A DM Squatter in black with a feather will joing the rotation early next month.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
when I was a kid I had a Little Golden Book about Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet, so I always knew what the style of hat was called. I also had a love of old movies and obviously many of the characters in those movies wore hats.

Until recently the only hats I had worn or owned were baseball caps. I would pick up hats from my favourite sports teams but rarely wear them because they were often too small for my massive scone. So they would sit funny and I quickly convinced myself that maybe I just wasn't built for hats. (which is strange because all those 7'2" basketballers manage to wear their NBA Champion hats just fine after Game 7)

My recent interest in wearing hats is a relatively short story which I will turn into a long-winded post.

It started last winter. For the last 5 years I have been commuting each day from the top of the Great Dividing Range to my office in Brisbane. Standing on the platform at the Greyhound terminus at 5.30 each morning and the subsequent 2 hour bus ride can be a bitter experience in the depths of winter. A jacket and scarf wasn't getting the job done considering the heat I lose out of the top of my shorn noggin. A woollen beanie was pulled out of my workbag for the ride to work but I felt selfconscious walking through the city in my office attire and a beanie. So the beanie would come off before I stepped off the bus.

The desire for warm headwear that was more intune with a suit grew. I spent some time at Distinctive Accessories in Brisbane, trying on a number of hats but always feeling selfconscious at my own image in a broad-brimmed hat. They all seemed too "cowboy-y" to me. It didn't help that stock hats were usually too small for me and so were suffering from the distortion of my aforementioned massive head. In the end, I chickened out and continued to wear my beanie on the bus and go hatless walking down the windy streets of Brisbane.

Early this winter I returned to DA. This time I took a friend from work for objective feedback. She was very complimentary about the couple of hats that I tried on. I baulked at dropping Akubra Money on my first hat though and still couldn't bring myself to wear too broad a brim. So picked up a $50 wool felt trilby as my 'trial hat', with the idea that if I couldn't bring myself to wear it for a month I wasn't out too much money. The trial lasted about a fortnight before I returned to DA to purchase a Stylemaster in Steel Grey.

It looks great, goes well with a suit, keeps my head warm AND provides protection from the harsh Aussie sun! What more could you want in a fashion accessory? I'd like to see a beltbuckle do all that for you!

Beaubeau

New in Town
Who knows what evil lies in the heart of men?
THE SHADOW KNOWS! MWAHAHAHA!

The Shadow also knew to always wear a very nice slouch hat. Or a Fedora, if you're in some of the later books or in that horrible 1994 Alec Baldwin movie. When I was younger, the Christian boys used to wear really nice hats to church and I always wanted one. My Hasidic cousins, likewise, always had some pretty sweet looking hats.

I wasn't allowed any of them because at the time I was considered a girl, but then I grew up to be a good hard working man with a job and got my own money. So, here I am.

I do still find it funny that the Fedora was once women's wear, but is now considered menswear.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
if by "now" you mean in the last century, then yea lol lol

considering the fedora was once women's wear, couldn't you have worn it when you were considered a girl?

Beaubeau

New in Town
VitaminG said:
if by "now" you mean in the last century, then yea lol lol

considering the fedora was once women's wear, couldn't you have worn it when you were considered a girl?

I was born in 1989 and the women's fedora ceased to be a woman's hat by 1919, and Not at all. My parents were very much against girls wearing any kind of hat or cap. It was verboten- Even pillboxes and cloches were not allowed. The sole exception was Easter Bonnets, and we did not celebrate Easter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21