Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you start wearing hats?

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I got my first hat with my first suit within a month of my birth (aside from those knit caps infants wear, of course), which was a golden-rod and green tweed deerstalker cap that matched a pair of knee-breeches and a belted coat. I'll have to see if I can find any pictures....But yeah. I think there may have been a bow-tie too (the tweed strongly resembled Harris Tweed from what I recall, the hat fit me for a very long time, I was a small child).

I got my first fedora a gray Borsalino when I was about seven (which my grandfather gave to me), but my father took it away. I got my first fedora that I kept long-term when I was about 10 when I took my father's Dobbs in retribution for his taking my Borsalino (which he had subsequently lost while on a business trip). We were very competitive....

By the by, both father and grandfather were indefatigable hat wearers. I never saw my father out of a suit, usually, tie, pocket-scarf, and hat, even at the beach....My grandfather usually wore an old Carol and Co. straw hat (similar to the one's Carey Grant wore) with a blue/red/blue horizontally striped 2" wide silk hat-band, a white shirt, and a salt and pepper mohair sports coat. His suits mostly didn't fit anymore....Hernia.

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have always been a history nut and classic movie fan. I would always watch the old movies with Jimmy Cagney in them and think how cool that look was. When I finally entered the professional world I decided that I would take the plunge and buy a cheapo fedora to go with my suit. Progressively I have learned to love Akubra hats as well as a more casual look. Now I just cant imagine not wearing some sort of proper hat when I go out about town. It is truly a desease that floods the mind!!! Custom hats were next and now there is no turning back

seabass

Call Me a Cab
My Grandpa always wore a suit/sportsjacket with tie & Cheezy stingys. He would buy me caps & shoes in NYC as a little kid....
My Dad was a Hippy so my Grandpa kept me sharp...I started wearin Stingys in the mid 70's & they were all vintage,,, Heck they might of been 20 & 30's hats due to me bashing them real deep centerdents & still tall crowns but smaller brims which were common for a 20'30' fedora. ...
.I did not buy a new hat until around 1986, so as far as i can remember always wore caps/hats never baseball caps except at work

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Bought my first cowboy hat in 74 at 15 when I went to Alberta to work on a Feedlot,pretty much get a new straw one about every year and a half,that's about how long they make it,didn't buy my Fedora till about 4 years ago when I purchased a DB Black Pin Stripe suit.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action

ka bump

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
When I decided not to give a penny for other's opinions about! :D

Now hats become common here. But when I started using hats, almost impossible to find another user. Specially at my age.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Multiple reasons for me.

I've always had a thing for accessories-- when I was younger it was sunglasses. I had a short phase of cheap jewelry (chains, wristbands, bracelets, rings), and used to buy shirts based on the detail in the buttons.

I turned 30 with painful back problems, and found hats and tobacco pipes simultaneously fascinating, and so cultivated this hobby thinking I'd be doing a whole lot of sitting around, plus I'm just beginning to desire to connect with the past somehow... Five years and a couple surgeries later, I'm almost completely unaware of my back problems (knock on wood) and the hats stuck.

Another reason is that, while I don't have a problem with baseball caps (actually I kinda like them and wear them once in awhile), I really never liked baseball or most other sports, so I consciously decided to attempt some sort of ideological consistency, for what it's worth.

Mjslarue

New in Town
I think I need to do a few more posts before I can upload a pic of my new hat I found in my Aunts attic..

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I liked accessories, too. I wore Oakley's in high school, minor league baseball hats in college off and on, sport coats and belt buckles while working at my previous job for 11 years.

It was a matter of standing out in a crowd, rather than sticking out. Fedoras are genuine and authentic, the way I try to live day by day.

Now they're no longer accessories.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Alan's reply is the best :D but I started wearing a black fedora bought from a local men's outfitters (which has sadly gone the way of most of them) when I was around 20 and thought it looked cool. I've worn hats on and off for much of the past 20yrs for similar reasons, but have only got more interested in the quality of hats relatively recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy