Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Hi Folks

Since I live 20 minutes from Atlantic City, NJ. People ask me if I am in the movie Boardwalk Empire.
Sunday was a mild day, I was wearing a straw fedora and a pair of spectators, A lady told me I look like Gene Kelly. Now If I could only dance like Mr.Kelly use to dance.... All nice compliments.

Best regards

CCJ

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Small children always reference me as a cowboy irrespictve of they type of felt hat am wearing. A fellow I work with saw for the first time without my fedo
ra and exclaimed "you have hair
.... I thought you were bald. That is why you wore a hat all the time.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
If I for some reason wear a ball cap and I go to a business where I have been more than a couple of times, they will tell me I don't look normal without a hat.
I'm not too sure what to make of that except to say that I don't feel normal without a felt hat on my head.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get special treatment all the time from employees at stores and restaurants. The hat separates you from the average Joe.

Speaking of restaurants, This last Saturday my wife and I were trying to pay out at our favorite Mexican restaurant (best fajitas in West Texas IMHO). I was wearing my VS custom and one of the older ladies walked from behind the counter, rubbed her hand on my upper back and told me "I like your hat, you look sexy in it!". :eeek:

Yeah, I was't expecting that

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Speaking of restaurants, This last Saturday my wife and I were trying to pay out at our favorite Mexican restaurant (best fajitas in West Texas IMHO). I was wearing my VS custom and one of the older ladies walked from behind the counter, rubbed her hand on my upper back and told me "I like your hat, you look sexy in it!". :eeek:

:eusa_clap Maybe she'll pick up your check next time.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The funny thing was the look on my wife's face and the giggling young girl that had to stay and cash us out. She tried so hard to keep a straight face...:D

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
A strange thing happen the other day when I went to the hospital to visit my sister in law. Her room was on the back side of the hospital so I went to the basement knowing that there was a straight hallway all the way. It was a rainy day and I was wearing a raincoat and vintage stylepark. Almost at the end of the hall, I met two young men typically dressed for today ( untied tennis shoes, pant legs half way between knee and foot, and baseball hat turned 30 degrees etc.) As they approached me one of the kids turned his hat straight. Both greeted me as we passed- then as I reached the elevator I looked back-- both hats were again turned 30 degrees. I don't have a clue what that was all about, perhaps I resembled his parole officer or something,

HeyMoe

Practically Family
A strange thing happen the other day when I went to the hospital to visit my sister in law. Her room was on the back side of the hospital so I went to the basement knowing that there was a straight hallway all the way. It was a rainy day and I was wearing a raincoat and vintage stylepark. Almost at the end of the hall, I met two young men typically dressed for today ( untied tennis shoes, pant legs half way between knee and foot, and baseball hat turned 30 degrees etc.) As they approached me one of the kids turned his hat straight. Both greeted me as we passed- then as I reached the elevator I looked back-- both hats were again turned 30 degrees. I don't have a clue what that was all about, perhaps I resembled his parole officer or something,

probably thought you were a police officer, shamus, gum shoe, etc

Edward

Bartender
I have had a few people think I was an Orthodox Jew (not positive or negative but initially unexpected).

I suppose for a lot of folks that's their frame of reference, as that's the one community they have seen wearing them. It's more common with a black, or dark grey, fedora with a high, straight crown. I did once - fortunately only the once - receive anti-Semitic abuse when wearing a grey Akubra Federation... I was called an unclean, fornicating Jew. Or words to that effect. Quite honestly, I didn't even realise until I was long passed that that hissed insult (loud enough for me to hear - deliberately, I suspect - but the speaker was clearly too cowardly to say it loud enough for others) was aimed at me until I was long past, or he'd have had a smart comment back. Weirdly enough, the same hat and long coat also got me called a "Nazi" the same day. Rare, though. The majority of people who even notice are positive.

I loved McCoy's Doctor!

He was much underrated. I'd like to see them bring him back for a guest spot.

One of my favourite days out is to visit one of my country's many heritage railway sites. A few months ago found us in the remote parts of the county of Devon. We happened upon the preserved heritage line that runs down to the river Dart, and the town that takes the river's name: Dartmouth. Whilst there, I was deliberately approached by, and I say deliberate because he singled me out, a guy whom you could only describe as a 'hard man.' He was shaven headed, had the sort of tattoos that went with his appearance. The tattoos had skulls with snakes slithering in and out of the eyes, his whole demeanor was one of confrontation.

The way he approached us, with one arm outstretched, to block our exit, I just knew that this might mean trouble. He gripped my upper arm, more to arrest me than to confront me. "Man," he said with something approaching deference in his voice, "you look fantastic, I wish I had the nerve to dress like that."

Was I just complimented? It might have been backhanded, but it was hugely satisfying all the same. I just smiled and said that I thought he would look terrific, if he could just not think about, what others might think.

How did I look to him? Same as my avatar, here's the larger version.
View attachment 4569

I've been on the other end of this sort of thing myself, where I've been the vintage dresser wanting to compliment somebody else's hair/ink/alternative clothing choice. Most of the time I'm too shy - good for him for doing it. Typically you can tell, but honestly when people actually approach as deliberately like that in my experience it is far, far more likely to be sincere. You'd be surprised by how many outwardly confident people, mostly students, over the years have told me they'd love to dress like I do but don't have the nerve.

As a rule, you'll find that people who are 'alternative' are much more likely to appreciate your style, even if it's significantly different than their niche. As I've said before, most of the sincere, vocal compliments I receive on the street are from the hip hop kids.

Small children always reference me as a cowboy irrespictve of they type of felt hat am wearing. A fellow I work with saw for the first time without my fedora and exclaimed "you have hair.... I thought you were bald. That is why you wore a hat all the time.

Heh. I have been shaving my head for a little longer than I've been into vintage, so a lot of folks assume that I'm some kind of Jack McVitie.* It is true that I became a lot more vigilant about keeping my head covered from the Sun after I went bald, though before that I always wore a hat against the Winter cold (a habit that began at University in Belfast, where typically by the time rain is heavy enough to be bothered putting up an umbrella, it's also too windy for that to be practical). I suppose wearing a hat more often did focus me more on hat style choices, but it's no more direct than that.

*Small-time East End crook, famous for being murdered by Reggie Kray in 1967. McVitie was commonly known as "Jack the Hat" because he wore a hat all the time, even indoors, in order to hide the bald spot about which he was extremely sensitive.

In the presence of your wife? How rude!

Re: reactions, I've had the full gamut. Typically positive from the yoof, especially the young asian (indian subcontinent mainly, around here) yoof, who are very style, rather than fashion, conscious. Reactions from baby boomers are typically negative. Blaring morons hanging out of pub doors. The worst I had was someone hanging out of a car window to shout something incoherent, then driving around the block to have another go at it … similarly incoherent.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I had a couple of great reactions recently - from opposite ends of the social spectrum:
First was a Croydon 'geezer' who was smoking outside a pub. He turned to his mate and said "That's a proper flat cap." (it was a Johnny J cap).
The second was a very over the top gay French waiter. He was sufficiently impressed by my cap (made by Barry Simonds) to put it on and parade up and down in front of his bar.

I have had a few people think I was an Orthodox Jew (not positive or negative but initially unexpected).

Similarly, I have been asked (more than once) if I am Amish. I live in Alabama, where Amish are about as prevalent as Hasidic Jews (none).
I was asked this recently by someone while I was (a) wearing short sleeves - I have tattoos - and (b) talking on a cell phone. It doesn't get much more Amish than that, now does it?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Now that I've branched out into other-than-black hats, I don't get the Jewish question too much. Then again...

image.jpg

What's the point in asking when the answer's clear? :D

Re: reactions, I've had the full gamut. Typically positive from the yoof, especially the young asian (indian subcontinent mainly, around here) yoof, who are very style, rather than fashion, conscious. Reactions from baby boomers are typically negative. Blaring morons hanging out of pub doors.

I'll adress this while I'm rambling this morning , too.
I live in a city with a VERY diverse population (despite the lack of Hasidic & Amish), and while dumbassery knows no boundaries, any negative comments seem to come exclusively from other white people, specifically better off financially, suburban, keeping-up- with-the-Joneses types. Especially if they've had a few in the pub.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I try not to get too consumed with others' reactions to my hats, but in the past week I have received two or three comments from people who told me they thought I looked "very fancy." It was clear they were trying to be complimentary, but "fancy" is just about the last word I'd use to describe my attire! I had to laugh a little. I suspect it was because each of these occasions happened when I was wearing a sport coat and had my shirt tucked in-- an invariable rarity in my everyday life!

Similarly, I have been asked (more than once) if I am Amish. I live in Alabama, where Amish are about as prevalent as Hasidic Jews (none).
I was asked this recently by someone while I was (a) wearing short sleeves - I have tattoos - and (b) talking on a cell phone. It doesn't get much more Amish than that, now does it?

Actually, dh, some Amish do use cell phones around here. Otherwise, they have to use the phone booth on the corner of the farm.
But I would never mistake you for Amish, I've never seen one wear an Aloha shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner