Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do they replace the lining of a leather jacket?

irow

New in Town
just curious. do they do it by hand and sew the thread back into each hole? or is there a machine that does it? can anyone who is familiar with jacket construction tell me the details?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I think that it's a question of making a 'shirt' (the lining) to size and then reattaching through the existing holes - by hand to avoid making new holes - unless they're very, very precise with the sewing machine. The cuffs are then reattached.
Quite labour intensive...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think that it's a question of making a 'shirt' (the lining) to size and then reattaching through the existing holes - by hand to avoid making new holes - unless they're very, very precise with the sewing machine. The cuffs are then reattached.
Quite labour intensive...

Yep. But it's an easy job. And I usually pay $110 for the service.

irow

New in Town
is there a book or a how-to guide somewhere on how to replace a leather jacket lining? i might be able to do it myself.

majormajor

One Too Many
If it was me, I would send it to Holly at Aero, and ask her very nicely to put a new lining in my jacket. You would even get to choose a really nice tartan or some lovely alpaca!!:D

Replace with thinner liner?

If it was me, I would send it to Holly at Aero, and ask her very nicely to put a new lining in my jacket. You would even get to choose a really nice tartan or some lovely alpaca!!:D

What are the thoughts of replacing existing alpaca with something a tad cooler to get more days/year of wear? It is quite warm with the wool & like to wear it more.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You will need some sewing skills and a lot of patience, see here:

http://sewaholic.net/fixing-up-an-old-leather-jacket-part-2/
That is a good thread. I repaired a motorcycle leather jacket back in the early 90s. It was not to hard, because as they show, you turn the jacket inside out, so only the bottom stitching may show. I managed to do the whole job, by undoing only a small part of the bottom seem. Takes real patience to turn it right side out again!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I once put a lining in an old A2 that had no lining, just the remains where the original lining had been cut away. I used a slightly larger fit size original WWII issue shirt, complete with breast pockets, cut off the collar, cuffs and tails, then trimmed it to size and sewed it back in.
The sizing method, I put on the shirt inside out the put on the jacket over the top. Marked and pinned where it needed to be sewn to the jacket and after a few goes at the collar and hem got it right eventually, sewing it back into the original stitch holes.
This idea I got from one of the Maguire jacket books and it looked great. Unfortunately I sold it to someone soon after who insisted on originality so within a week so my carefully fitted and practical lining was taken out and a brand new one put in(By Eastman or Aero)
Johnny Tee

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
What are the thoughts of replacing existing alpaca with something a tad cooler to get more days/year of wear? It is quite warm with the wool & like to wear it more.

I think that is a great idea. I would much prefer something other than my alpaca lining and I live in upstate NY. It I need additional warmth, I can wear a sweater, but a lighter liner would allow me to wear the jacket more days of the year. The bad part is that it would cost about $60 each way to Scotland in addition to the liner replacement cost.

I think that is a great idea. I would much prefer something other than my alpaca lining and I live in upstate NY. It I need additional warmth, I can wear a sweater, but a lighter liner would allow me to wear the jacket more days of the year. The bad part is that it would cost about $60 each way to Scotland in addition to the liner replacement cost.

Wow, that is pricey for just the shipping. I'm going to go thru this winter with it as is.
I have a Magnoli Open Road goat that I'm contemplating changing the nickel zippers to antique brass but I have to ship that to New Zealand if I want Indy to do it thru his operation. I love the jacket but not the bright shiny hardware.
I have a Fidelity Leathers cafe racer that needs a zipper fixed on 1 of the pockets, was thinking if just removing the zipper tracks.
Thanks for the info.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Wow, that is pricey for just the shipping. I'm going to go thru this winter with it as is.
I have a Magnoli Open Road goat that I'm contemplating changing the nickel zippers to antique brass but I have to ship that to New Zealand if I want Indy to do it thru his operation. I love the jacket but not the bright shiny hardware.
I have a Fidelity Leathers cafe racer that needs a zipper fixed on 1 of the pockets, was thinking if just removing the zipper tracks.
Thanks for the info.

You could always get a company in the US to it. Johnson Leather in San Fran or Lost Worlds in NYC. There are certainly stateside people/companies capable of changing zippers or replacing liners. A decent tailor may even be able to fix the zipper track issue. When the package gets above 4 pounds though, the prices to ship internationally really skyrocket.

You could always get a company in the US to it. Johnson Leather in San Fran or Lost Worlds in NYC. There are certainly stateside people/companies capable of changing zippers or replacing liners. A decent tailor may even be able to fix the zipper track issue. When the package gets above 4 pounds though, the prices to ship internationally really skyrocket.

I found a local shop that is operated by a "Master Leather Crafter and saddle repairman". I talked with him & going to run my jackets by tomorrow for him to take a look at.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I once put a lining in an old A2 that had no lining, just the remains where the original lining had been cut away. I used a slightly larger fit size original WWII issue shirt, complete with breast pockets, cut off the collar, cuffs and tails, then trimmed it to size and sewed it back in.
The sizing method, I put on the shirt inside out the put on the jacket over the top. Marked and pinned where it needed to be sewn to the jacket and after a few goes at the collar and hem got it right eventually, sewing it back into the original stitch holes.
This idea I got from one of the Maguire jacket books and it looked great. Unfortunately I sold it to someone soon after who insisted on originality so within a week so my carefully fitted and practical lining was taken out and a brand new one put in(By Eastman or Aero)
Johnny Tee
That is great! I have thought of taking one of my cheaper motorcycle leather jackets and replacing the lining with one of my Hawaiian shirts.

I found a local shop that is operated by a "Master Leather Crafter and saddle repairman". I talked with him & going to run my jackets by tomorrow for him to take a look at.

Update = local guy passed on replacing the hardware on my Magnoli jacket but did do work on my Fidelity jacket.
I decided to fix the zipper pull on the right side pocket & take out the zipper teeth on the left side.
I just need 1 zippered pocket for keys & such.
I'm contacting Lost Worlds to see if they will do the hardware change to antique brass.
For Magnoli to do it, I have to ship to New Zealand & they then ship to India. Lots of travel to replace some zippers & buckles!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
On replacing the silver hardware on my Magnoli Open Road jacket, Lost Worlds quote is $570. $75 per sleeve & pocket, $125 for main zipper, $35 each for the buckles. Only $80 shy of a new jacket...
Maybe they don't need or want the work so charge a premium to do it.

Cafe Racer pocket zipper mods/repair

Update = ...
I decided to fix the zipper pull on the right side pocket & take out the zipper teeth on the left side.
I just need 1 zippered pocket for keys & such.
I got my Fidelity cafe racer back late yesterday.
The local shop did a good job of taking out the zipper tracks of the left pocket which had some teeth missing along with the slider & rigging up a new pull tab on the right pocket slider. Here are some photos...
Both pockets...
IMG_20121102_115004_265.jpg

Right side...
IMG_20121102_115039_043.jpg

Labels...
IMG_20121102_115109_468.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24