Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you apply your brimmed hat?

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
All three, depending on the hat and my state of mind. With the lighter, floppier Borsalino, it's usually the Indy. With the Art Fawcett and my Stetsons, by the pinched crown. Cheap, wool felt numbers tend to get the quick flop.

In general, with a fur felt hat I apply it by the pinched crown until I'm happy with the shape of the pinch. Then I go to the Indy.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Geez - probably all mentioned, to some degree, depending on the hat material and fit and state of my hands (clean or dirty or perhaps oily). I do sometimes gently lift a hat by the crown near the brim, but not with eagle-talon seizure or severe deformation. I wouldn't do that at all with a panama.

But my most-common way is....take it by the brim near the front quarter (seem to do this left or right handed about equally often), plop it loosely on my head, shift the hand to the brim front and give it one quick tug to settle it forward.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Do you fellas don your hat front or back first? I tend to place the sweat on my forehead first, and then set the back, but sometimes I use the back as the pivot and pull the front down to my forehead by the brim.
Bet you can't tell me without putting a hat on! I know it's somewhat like asking a tennis player whether they inhale before they throw the ball or during the toss. lol

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It depends on the hat - its thickness or 'structural integrity, the degree of tightness, and how the sweat adheres to my head all play a factor.

Softer hats, and especially those that have 'stickier' sweats, get the front and back of the brim treatment. Firmer hats are often plopped on after they lay in my right. I don't squeeze the crown - it just lies in my right hand and I bring my head down a bit and slide it on. All are then adjusted by the brim.

Taking hats off, especially those with 'sticky' sweats, is done back end up and off first. I grab the back of the brim to do this.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I pick up the hat by the side brims and place it on my head by the front first. I never use the crown or front pinch.

I remove it the same way by the side brims.....

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes by the crown, sometimes by the brim, sometimes the Indy. No matter what, front to back. It keeps my hair slicked back that way.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I live in Kansas.

Land of the South Wind.

OK?

So I use a ratchet to adjust the surgical screws that go into my skull and keep the hat in place.

Sheesh, how else do you put on a hat?

Sam

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
edbe8014.jpg

Dronak

Familiar Face
I think most of the time I put my hat on by what the original post called "crowning". I try not to squeeze in on the pinch too much when doing so though.

Tilted

New in Town
I pick up the hat by the side brims and place it on my head by the front first. I never use the crown or front pinch.

I remove it the same way by the side brims.....

i tend to do the same although it depends on the hat and what i'm doing... my waxed cotton work fedora gets crowned... my dress stetson and baileys get brimmed :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch