Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you ladies wear your hair at work when you have plans for that evening?

McVolke

New in Town
First I hope I'm doing this right and haven't missed a thread somewhere (I promised I looked first).

Here's a little info to start off with.... I don't wear my hair vintage everyday and it's really much too long for the forties styles I really love, I just try them anyway. I work with birds of prey and all the animals that are food for those birds plus 20 deer, 4 young caimans, 17 large snakes and one baby fox. It's a very dirty job and my hair must be out of my way for my own safety (and cleanliness :p). When I go to see a band I want my hair to look nice so I normally pin curl it the night before, undo it in the morning, put it all in a snood and go to work. Then I style it when I come home. I have even left in the pin curls and covered my hair with a bandanna. The problem with that is we sometimes have unexpected customers come by and I don't want to get caught in a bandanna.

Any thoughts or advice ?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Bandanas aren't so bad :p would you feel better in a nice silky scarf (vintage or otherwise)? They're a little bit more glam than a cotton bandana. Also, I don't know how new you are to this, but when I was starting out with the retro/vintage stuff I always swore I would never wear a bandana/headscarf out of the house- now I frequently wear them as part of an outfit. Brilliant when the weather/your hair is just too awful to attempt anything else, and a necessity for those mornings when your set hasn't dried but you need to be out the door in 5... perhaps you just need to get used to yourself in the bandana?

Your job sounds super cool, btw! :D

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Agreed, what a super job.

I agree with the scarf/bandana thing, i often wear a pretty silk scarf to work if i'm having a bad hair day or just can't be bothered to do my hair (usually the latter it has to be said) and i have to look smart for work, so i even wear them with a dress or a suit and they look great i think. Or you could even buy a turban, i've seen them on ebay in crochet and velvet or cotton, patterned or plain. Mind you, i think snoods always look really pretty too.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Heya McVolke - you sound like a girl after my own heart! I'm a marine biologist (read: spend my life up to my elbows in marine gook, dressed in jeans and tshirts that I don't mind ruining), and I do tons of rescue work with birds and reptiles. I have a good idea how you feel. I have pin straight hair, so when I have after work plans, my hot rollers are my best friend. As I may be tossed out into public view at any time, bandanas are absolutely NOT allowed. I tie my hair back, and toss it into my rollers the instant I get home. Then I get ready, and my fast favorite hairstyle is the last thing I do on my way out the door. I did my friend's hair and makeup as well as my own for a charity dinner we assisted with several weeks back, and her hair, in a french twist, took longer than mine did!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Oh, I know the situation too well; I have horses and farm chores to take care of, which can be tricky business when I'm trying to preserve a set for something in the evening. Like Frenchy56 and Miss Sofia said, a pretty vintage silk scarf is quite a chic look, especially if you tie it more like a turban.

Could you get away with a hat? A cloche, boater, or knit beret over your pincurls?

Finally, sometimes what I do is undo my curls and twist them up into a chignon on the top of my head; it may crush the curls a bit, but you could always touch up quickly with a curling iron when you get home.

Slightly off topic, but your job sounds so fun! Especially the baby fox, awww! lol

ktrex

New in Town
Oh wonderful, I was going to start a thread about something similar. I'm just about to graduate with a zoology degree, hoping to get into keeping, and I've been wondering about hair. I'd love to figure out a way to do vintage sets during the day while still keeping the hair manageable, and I have the problem of not being able to wear a hat/bandanna because of image. Will be watching this!

I have been considering cutting my hair a bit shorter to make it easier to manage vintage-wise and to give me a bit more flexibility in trying to put all of it up. Currently, it's just below my shoulders, around my bust.

Tatum

Practically Family
OOh that's a lovely style, thanks for posting that Tatum. I'm always looking for cute updo's that a hair incompetent like me can manage!

I did it today with a bit of a different technique (I used these funny hairpins I have) and I think this will be my go-to summer 'do, at least for the back! It was easy, looked great and kept my hair up in the heat. Curls were intact when I took it down, so it might be the perfect day-to-night style!

McVolke

New in Town
Thank you all so much for the tips and tricks. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there with a dirty job. I'm now trying to picture myself in a turban...I think they look pretty good on other women, I may have to try one out. The chignon is a good idea too. Unfortunately I can't watch that specific LisaFreemontstreet video because of copy right laws in Germany (although I enjoy the ones I can watch). The hats are probably the best choice for me.
I'm considering cutting my hair too. I'm always modifying the few styles I can manage to accommodate the length. My hair comes down to the middle of my back or about the middle of my upper arm. And I need my long hair because I help out in a bat rehabilitation station. My friend and I often wear our hair down to show people the bats don't get tangled in hair. :D

I like my job too although it's a heck of a lot of physical labor and as my sweet 13 yr old son so generously describes it, I'm really just a "falcon lunch lady." If anyone is in this neck of the woods and wants to see the birds or bats let me know.
And again thanks so much!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Logged into FL for the first time in ages today and was pleased to see this thread as I'm currently in the same predicament.

I'm going out after work tonight so I've put my hair in barrel curls/standing pin curls so it looks like a neat up do today but can be brushed out into curls tonight.

I suppose any way of putting it up so that it curls when let down is a good idea.

Isis

One of the Regulars
My workplace is hairfriendly, but I have been known to put my wet hair in large pin-curls in the morning, arranged so the look like a "do" and no one has ever commented. By evening they are dry and can be brushed out. :)

McVolke

New in Town
offtopic: you must have the coolest job on the planet!

Thanks and although I do enjoy my work it's very dirty and any job where you have to ask your coworker to please come pry the talons of a hawk out of your hand .... well it has it's downsides.

I like the idea of making the pin curls look like an intentional hairstyle. I think I need to cut my hair. It's pretty thick, has lots of volume and frizz and some natural wave. Having the length helps tone that down. When I had a bob my husband nicknamed me "pilzkopf" which means mushroom head and the other was marshmallow head.

I seems most of the ladies here have middle length hair and that seems to be the most versatile. And once again, you gals are all very, very helpful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff