Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Wear Your Hat?

How Do You Wear Your Hat?

• Total voters

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I cast my vote for to the left or right and that has me thinking... for anyone else who votes that do you tilt your hat to which ever side you are dominant? I tip my hat to the right, and I am right handed... does that mean something? I have tried angling the hat to the left and it looks awkward to me.

I am not sure about that. I tilt my hat to the left, and I am right handed. I also part my hair left.

It is interesting though, I am left eye dominant (despite my left being almost blind), and when I was still in dance, my left side was always stronger. Maybe I am naturally a lefty, but trained myself to be right handed young.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I cast my vote for to the left or right and that has me thinking... for anyone else who votes that do you tilt your hat to which ever side you are dominant? I tip my hat to the right, and I am right handed... does that mean something? I have tried angling the hat to the left and it looks awkward to me.
I do the same, and it might be my handedness. But I often tilt my head in the same direction, so maybe it's a habit.

As for tipping my hat back, the only one that makes me look good that way is my older Resistol Open Road clone. It came from eBay with a cattleman's bash and with the brim snapped down, and the sides and back curled a bit, so the brim appears smaller than it actually is. Tipping it back gives me a sort of James Garner-as-Bret Maverick friendliness -- though I sadly don't resemble him in any other way. . . .

My Feds and the other Resistol all look a little strange tipped back, for some reason.

T Rick

Practically Family

I'd like to see other's take on this too. To the left seems more natural to me, and I am left handed. I notice it seems the majority who tilt them, seem to tilt to the right. And the majority of people are right handed...

Although I doubt there are any "studies" I would figure that there is a good chance that your "handedness" like being right handed has to do with how one puts on their hat which in turn affects the tilt you might employ.

I am also right handed and if I put a tilt into my fedora it is tilted to the right.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd like to see other's take on this too. To the left seems more natural to me, and I am left handed. I notice it seems the majority who tilt them, seem to tilt to the right. And the majority of people are right handed...

There might be something to that, if only a little. My right ear is higher up on my head than my left, so one would think that I would tilt my hat to the left to avoid that contact. Instead, I find myself tilting my hat to the right, only doing otherwise if the sunlight or rain/snow/hail is coming strong from some other direction.

Last edited:

Lloyd

A-List Customer
For dress occasions I usually tilt my hat to the left and I'm right handed.
If I'm in bright sunlight I usually tilt my hat to block the sun.

MisterKen

New in Town
Do you wear your hat straight or slightly cocked to one side or the other?

If you wear your hat slightly cocked to one side, how did you decide which side to cock it to? :noidea:

I try to wear my hats straight, but they always come out half cocked to the right... or is it the left? No, right, I think.

Mister Ken, I tip my hat to you in welcome! :yo:

JAVIER

Practically Family
It depends on the occasion, for work... straight as I manage a bank (customers would look at me funny... looking "gangster"). When I'm out in a formal environment, straight. Out and about a little cocked (most are stingy) but can't wait to find the right wide brim hat to give it the Hollywood.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Welcome to the Lounge Ken!

It depends on the hat for me. I have a couple of them that seem to want to tilt more to the right side and I only notice it when I see myself with it on in a mirror. In other words, I don't intentionally tilt it---it just seems to happen. :eek:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Most often, I wear my hats straight. Sometimes I'll tilt my fedora to the left, as my left ear is slightly lower (and inward) than my right due to a hearing restoration surgery; I just think a left tilt looks better on me than a right tilt for that reason.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
A tilt to the right for dress, straight ahead in the field. The latter because I can't be bothered with style in those circumstances and the former because I've been slightly out of kilter my whole life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran