Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Wear Your Hat?

How Do You Wear Your Hat?

• Total voters
Question: When wearing a fedora or similar hat, how do you wear it?

1> Since the way one wears their hat speaks of their personality and mood:
what does the way you wear your hat say about you?

2> Can you name a film character that had a certain way they wore their hat that made an impression on you?

This has come up before but I could not find the old threads in a search so I thought I make a new poll for this to see how people chime in on this telling personal trait...

Last edited:
The straight and level fedora of Nick Nolte in Mulholland Falls really does come through with a vague menacing and total no-nonsense accepted effect.

I, myself, wish I could wear a fedora tilted back or on the back of my head to a good happy go lucky effect, but don't seem to be able to pull it off well.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Tilted back a little, as I don't like anything too far down on my forehead. Tilted back looks friendlier as well.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I can't pull of the tilted back look either.
I usually go straight and level, sometimes I'll throw in a little side tilt.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear the hat pulled down as level as possible, leaving about half an inch or an inch above my eyebrows, short of the point where it looks like I'm traveling incognito. My movie hat idols would be Errol Flynn (with his cavalry hats) for the wide-brim look, William Powell for his Thin Man look, and Frank Sinatra for the various tilts he employed. There are surely several others I admire but can't think of right now.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I thought I already answered this, but apparently I got distracted. I wear my hat tilted down and over my left eye, more or less, often with a hollywood brim, largely depending on the weather.

Johnny Depp was actually a big influence on that. I like the way he wears hats (although not the way he treats them). The man has style when he chooses.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Tilted back, especially for the wider brims, or tilted off to the side. Sometimes, but rarely, a touch of both. A lot of times my outfit tends to dictate the look. Something sportier or more casual demands a bit jauntier of a tilt; more formal outfits and situations require a more straight and level fit.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
63852_1382979503932_1515318688_30839839_6217894_n.jpg

I wear mine tilted back - lately a bit further than pictured here, in that a wad of hair tends to come out in front, but the gist of it is about the same. When I first started wearing hats, I had them tilted way down in front and tilted to the side for that secret agent look, but thought I looked cliche like that. Level looked boring. Forward looked like I was trying to be intimidating. Back was all that was left. Many a person has taken it upon him/herself to correct me on my hat position, often physically repositioning it or telling me how I should do it, and it only serves to reenforce my preference.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Usually straight and level for me.

Most people would say that tilted back is "happy go lucky" or at least "open", right? If I tilt it back my wife says I look menacing or mean. But she's not from around here, so maybe that plays into it.

Usually straight and level for me. Most people would say that tilted back is "happy go lucky" or at least "open", right? If I tilt it back my wife says I look menacing or mean. But she's not from around here, so maybe that plays into it.

Where is that place in Eastern Europe where nodding yes and shaking ones head no has the opposite meaning?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Tilted back a bit with the brim touching my left ear. Showing forehead a bit. That's me. As Sinatra said, "angles are attitudes."

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
1. That it's not geek chic but that I really have a foot planted in the '50s; straight arrow. Also what John in Covina wrote about Nick Nolte (L.A. Confidential is a better movie though).

2. Among others, Lt. Mike Torello in 'Crime Story'. What John wrote applies to him too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy