Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss Brill said:
(Again) try WinterSilks for thin thermal underwear made of silk. Or places like L.L. Bean or Cabela's for camping/hunting underwear.
:eek:fftopic:
This is off topic but I love your signature Miss Brill.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Coat!

1913238048_616e690a9c.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got a few bargains on lighter weight dresses, so I'm going to be pairing them with tights and a warm slip layer and a cardigan....though I think it still will look a bit off to wear light fabric in the winter. I'll have to try some combinations on.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Do you ladies have any tips on layering tops for winter and still looking good and not messed up?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It started to get chilly here and I realized I didn't have any warm clothes! Most of my sweaters have 3/4 length sleeves. Curse the 100+ degree heat!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I literally get home from work and layer 2 pairs of long underwear on and then jeans. I cannot have on less than 3 layers on top. If I didn't look completely ridiculous to walk around inside in my parka - I would. Darn this cold weather. I need a fireplace desperately. I hate when looking good isn't even an option.

I suppose the pillsbury doughboy is of an earlier era - why beat myself up when sporting that look.

KittenHasCurves

New in Town
Usually I wear wool pants when it gets really cold, but I desided that I want to try wearing skirts in winter, so I bought a loooong wool jacket (like to my ankles) in a vintage shape. Should keep me nice and toasty to and from the car!

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
My girlfriend is one of the body-heat challenged. She's tall and spindly and always struggles with winter--multiple pairs of pants, etc. This year she got a vintage 60s military flightsuit from Tatters in Minneapolis. It's green, covered with zippers and has this silvery satin-covered wool lining.
She wears it all the time, usually with some jacket or another on top and totally loves it. As she says when people comment on it, "It makes winter possible."

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
One of the best things you can find are the double-layer winter slips. I just passed a few up at an estate sale recently, because I have far too many slips in my collection. Usually two layers of fairly thick nylon to the skirt of the slip.

I also have a lot of 50's wool jersey and tons of 50's dolman sleeve sweaters. Those are some toasty vintage pieces! I don't wear cable-knit tights myself, but some of my friends do, and that keeps a girl warm.

And of course, there's always fur. You can't be any warmer than in a beaver or seal coat! (Vintage of course!)

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I wanted to *bump* this thread b/c of winter coming up and my longing to live somewhere were I could buy winter clothes and outerwear. Does anybody have images of winter sporting gear? Like ski outfits or ice skating outfits?

Samantha

carter

I'll Lock Up
It's a slow morning

Ski sweater and wool slacks in olde Quebec
79b6_1.JPG

Hemo ?
35739450_o.jpg

Roffe, Roffe, Roffe
39359.jpg

A winter sports leisure suit
39389.jpg

Coursing down the slope beneath the gondolas. Out ski that AVALANCHE ! ! !
frenchski1947.jpg

Nope. Skis showing. Skier buried.
posterskimegeve.jpg

Anwen

New in Town
Thanks for bumping this thread, I'll ask my question here too. I've been looking for a new winter coat, as I'm considerably bigger than last winter. I've tried on a few coats and had to pass up on one really cute coat as its armholes were way too low (made me feel like a penguin!) but I fell in love with this coat:

93730765.jpg

http://www.annharveyfashion.co.uk/product.php?cat=Outerwear&id=93730765

It's actually more flared in real life, and a beautiful cherry colour, and it has a sort of 'generically-retro' feel to it, but will it look strange with the mainly forties style wardrobe I'm trying to build? I also tried on a nice (but not as lovely!) coat in Primark (which doesn't have online shopping) which was in a sort of oversized purple and grey plaid, with gathered sleeves, and a quarter of the price, so I'll probably end up getting that (interestingly, it also had decently high armholes, the one with the rubbish ones was closer to the Ann Harvey coat in price), it's sort of fortiesish, if you squint...

Sunny

One Too Many
I don't think it'd look strange! The primary difference is the collar. It's wider and more shawl-like, rather more 1960s; 1940s coat collars could be wide, but were usually pointed and buttoned up to the throat. But the overall outline of the coat is good, and even the big buttons. I think it's easy to get caught up in the movie-star-worn slim-fitting princess coats with the big lapels, but most candid pictures I've seen show women in fairly straight-fitting coats with a handful of buttons right down the middle. The one you've got pictured can be either pretty darn close to that, or if more flared, a nice practical interpretation of the tight-fitting ones. Plus it's got full-length sleeves, not 3/4 or 5/6 like many 1960s coats. And red! yay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner