Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How far do you take it?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I have two dinner suits. The one that I'm currently using was made in 1970 and fits me well. It's a single button, peaked lapel jacket in very good condition, with satin facings. The second was made between 1934 and 1949 and is also a single button, peaked lapel jacket, but with grosgrain facings. The ACWA tags were sewn in in such a way that the copyright dates are not visible. The tailor will have a lot of work just to make this fit properly, and additionally a lot work work to make it presentable.

I would really like to have the earlier dinner suit, possibly because I like the grosgrain facings. So my question is: how much work is it worth doing to have the earlier jacket? How far should I take it?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
On the one hand, if you spend less than $300 or so, you are still money ahead over what you would pay for a lesser quality lower style dinner suit. On the other hand, vintage tuxedos are a dime a dozen and do not bring a lot as far as I can see. Now, bug sizes, and single breasted are rarer, but still, you could likely find your sixe for $100 or less. Depends on your budget and time budget. If your time is worth more than your money, then spend the time to find a better fit. If you make good money or do not have a lot of free time, spend the money on tailoring and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy