Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How important is your "gig line"?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I wear work clothes daily. My dress includes dungarees, overalls (ocasionally), chinos or kahkis, flannel or print plaid buttondown shirt (long or short sleeve as dictated by season), brown work boots, kahki web mlitary style belt, felt or straw fedora. I may not wear a dress suit but I still am picky about my look. I will make sure my shirt is tucked and my gig line is straight. My boots must be cleaned daily, my face properly and freshly shaved. My hat at a jaunty angle. I stand erect and don't slouch. When I address people I look them in the eye. I have been told that I have a firm handshake.

I refuse to wear tee shirts and baggy shorts with a ball cap. I am self employed and required to meet several clients a day. My "Look" is recognized as my trademark. Several times I have been referred to as "The Man With The Hat", Or "The Hat Man".

matei

One Too Many
I for one consider it very important. It irks me when it is mis-aligned. When I was in the army it was something that was drummed into me.

One of the things I can stand is someone that goes halfway - they wear a dress shirt and trousers and that is it. The trousers are practically falling off, the shirt is coming out, the gig line is non-existant and their shoes looked like they were shined with a Mars bar. You see that a lot nowadays. (eegads... I sound like my father)

I also shine my shoes every night (just the pair that I wore that day) - it is another habit that I picked up in the army. Nothing like a pair of highly-polished shoes!

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Interesting. I always heard it called a "jib" line. I would say it's a southern thing but your from Texas also. [huh]

I am what some call a "glad hander" or the "tip of the spear". So yes, my appearance is important. My jib line is always straight. :)

Tom

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My gig line is straight

Of course my gig line is straight, comes from the territory. Shirt buttons, belt buckle, zipper, tie....all have to line up vertically.

Now, my cruvature line is not necessarily as straight as it once was :p

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Huh... I never knew that had a name. I've always lined them up but only because I thought it looked slovenly any other way.

zeus36

A-List Customer
"Gig Line" was drummed into us at Navy Boot Camp. I lined everything up before my service years, due to a 1950's copy of the Bluejackets manual I found in my Dad's seabag.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but was thinking of this the other day... from the short stint I had in the AFROTC, I picked up the habit of the gig-line.

Now, sartorially speaking, the centre of the trousers is the right edge of the fly flap, yet the centre of the shirt is the vertical row of buttons. So, to correctly wear a gig-line, your pants must be skewed to your right or your shirt to your left. Anyone ever notice this? [huh]

I know... I'm overanalyzing my gig line... :eek:

Kind regards,
Magnoli

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Indy Magnoli said:
I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but was thinking of this the other day... from the short stint I had in the AFROTC, I picked up the habit of the gig-line.

Now, sartorially speaking, the centre of the trousers is the right edge of the fly flap, yet the centre of the shirt is the vertical row of buttons. So, to correctly wear a gig-line, your pants must be skewed to your right or your shirt to your left. Anyone ever notice this? [huh]

I know... I'm overanalyzing my gig line... :eek:

Kind regards,
Magnoli

not at all; it's true, one is a bit skewed. there is actually a different adjustment for my left and right side shirt garters to keep my shirt skewed, since i prefer not to bother my pants. i still wear shirt garters...i should stop at some point, i suppose.

a peeve of mine is wearing the belt backward. nothing ruins a gig line quite like a backward belt. it's like saluting with the incorrect hand, and makes me itch when it happens.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Haven't been concerned about a correct and proper gig line
since I was a teenager--and I used floor wax polish on my boots too.;)

GregNYC

One Too Many
Mine's very imortant, especially after 9 years in the Army (4 yrs enlisted, 5 yrs National Guard officer). Shoes shined, shirts and chinos pressed, or vintage jeans looking dark and crispy. Straight gig line a must!

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I was taught this as a very young kid, and it bugs the snot out of me if everything's not nicely lined up...

But the real question (somebody else asked, too)...how do you pronounce "gig"? Like the dance? "Jig"? Or like what you do to frogs? "Gig" with a hard "G"?

:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yes, I like to keep it all in line. I even clip my tie to my shirt placket. [huh]

Shoes234.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo