Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Fedoras did you see today?

g.durand

One Too Many
In San Francisco today--a pork pie (I was driving by so I couldn't see details), a wool stingy and a fur felt stingy. I see a few hipsters South of Market and in the Mission near where I work sporting wool stingies. But if you head to the Fillmore/California St. neighborhood in Pacific Heights you might spot a few wider brim fedoras. I did see a guy at the corner of Divisadero and California the other day wearing what looked like a Fed IV, and at the bus stop across the street a guy wearing a Whippet.

The weather today in NJ was windy, cold and rainy.
However I ran into a gentleman at the fish market sporting a decent fedora. I was sporting an Adam circa 40 beater.
We tipped our hats to each other on our exit from the market. I felt that we both knew however horrible the weather was outside that we were going to make a statement and look good in our fedoras.
Best regards.
CCJ

jthix

New in Town
Was in MovieStop today and saw a guy walk in wearing what looked like an Akubra Federation IV, or maybe an Raiders style hat from Penman or Adventurebilt (can't really tell the difference, I'm a hat novice). I really wanted to ask what it was, but I was paying for a DVD. Wanted to find out if it was indeed a Federation. I was stunned because I just ordered one for myself two days ago.

Saw a guy in traffic wearing a, I'm guessing 1960's, by the dimensions Fedora. Also saw a guy at St. Vinnie's buying a panama, which I was slightly upset he beat me to lol

seated in front of me:

11.jpg

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Hi

I'm new to this forum and have only recently started wearing hats, but after buying my first one a Fed IV I have become hooked. Anyway I had a feeling I was seeing more hats over the last few weeks and having seen this thread decided to note how many fedoras I saw yesterday.

To set the scene I live in Teddington a small suburb in SW London, England. It is approximately 2 miles from Twickenham famous as the HQ of English rugby and yesterday I was going there to see my team Harlequins. I therefore made an effort to observe how many hats I saw on the way to and from the ground.

It started well. I set off to travel on the bus the short trip and I had got less than 200 yards when I saw a chap wearing a green open road style thin ribbon. As I arrived at the ground and took my seat I saw a chap in front wearing a light brown fedora with a matching ribbon. He left his seat and shortly after I saw what I thought was the same man but in fact he sat down in a different seat and the original chap returned. So that was 2 light brown fedoras only 30 yards from me. As the crowd were asked to take their seats I saw someone wearing what I thought was a black fedora walk past me, but as he did a ray of sunlight sneaked through the clouds and I realised it was black but with a reddish undertone, very nice. At half time I went into the members bar and low and behold I saw 2 more. One a really fine light caramel, or sand coloured hat, and a black tall crowned 30's style mid brim, definitely not the same 'black' hat I had seen before. I also spied several outback style fur hats and many wide brimmed leather hats and 2-3 woollen trilbies . All in all there are definitely more fur felt wide brimmed hats being worn here in SW London. Long may it continue.

To put it in perspective the crowd in the ground was 6.5k and I was sat at one end of one of 4 stands so I'm guessing I got a look at say 500-1000 people.

I'd be interested if there are any other members from the UK and if their views agree with mine.

Cheers

Ted

g.durand

One Too Many
Ted,
I have memory of seeing a gentleman at one of the tube stations in central London about fifteen years ago wearing a nice wide brim black fedora and matching trench coat. It was winter and raining of course. It seems that where the climate demands it, men will don their hats. Here in California those of us who wear hats are still an anomaly, but I think things may be changing. I was out once today for a short errand and saw a gent wearing a nice chocolate brown medium brim fedora with a light brown ribbon even though the temperature was about 25 degrees C (spring starts making hints here about this time of year). I usually see at least one or two men wearing hats each day in San Francisco.

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
I'd be interested if there are any other members from the UK and if their views agree with mine.

Hi Ted.. I can't say I see many around; not decent Fedoras anyway. I see a fair few outback style hats on walkers up on the moors, older gents with Trilbys and the odd student with a Porkpie, but nothing that makes me think wow nice hat!... If there is a resurgence, then it will happen in London long before it filters into the sticks.

You only have to look on Ebay UK as opposed to Ebay US to see how deprived we are of decent hats... I look most days, but hardly any really nice ones come up, yet our US brothers seem to have a wealth to chose from.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Interesting, there are definitely more outback hats, but I have definitely seen more fedoras recently. I'm guessing the cold weather helps (where is Spring!), but I would hope there may be the beginning of a trend. What was interesting for me is that the wearers of the hats I saw on Saturday were of mixed ages from late 20's to probably mid 60's. At least having others around makes me feel less conspicuous and happier to wear my own hats.

Cheers

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
At least having others around makes me feel less conspicuous and happier to wear my own hats.

Indeed... though I am getting to an age (approaching 45) where I care less about what other people think of me, or what I wear :D

I would be nice to see more around though... I certainly keep my eyes open.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday-- a rare occasion to see a finely dressed gentleman hurrying across the street in his black overcoat, off-white scarf and perfectly formed black homburg.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
2 so far today. My VS on the right, the guy in the next booths stingy on the left.

smugshot_3755968-L.jpg

He was wearing a black milan yesterday.

2 so far today. My VS on the right, the guy in the next booths stingy on the left.

He was wearing a black milan yesterday.

David, yours is the hands down winner. But you were up against a naive newby - who else would wear a straw Milanin Boston in early March? He could re-start the straw hat riots of the 1920's!

Good luck there today. Sell a lot!!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Went on a field trip Friday and my students are allowed to wear hats on trips. One student wore a sweet stingy brim with a feather. It was dept store stuff but I was so proud of him! I would like to think I have rubbed off a bit :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David, yours is the hands down winner. But you were up against a naive newby - who else would wear a straw Milanin Boston in early March? He could re-start the straw hat riots of the 1920's!

Good luck there today. Sell a lot!!

Not fair for the poor guy having to share space with a VS :)

No sign of any riots luckily - hopefully no milan tomorrow. He travelled to the show from Mexico (tons of International exhibitors which is very cool) so I think the straw might have been his "travel to the airport" hat.

g.durand

One Too Many
Last night in San Francisco, the usual couple of wool stingies, a nice fedora on a gentleman across the street from while we were stopped at a stoplight, and at the dance performance we attended, a panama and another wool stingy (but the guy was really wearing it well).

At a St, Pattys Day parade I spotted 3 vintage looking fedoras and 2 newer stingys.

I was wearing my Green Dobbs American in honor of St.Patrick. The brim is 3 1/4 ins clearly my widest brim fedora.
I received a few nice complements at the parade today.
Best regards.
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy