Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how many hats are too many

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How many hats are too many? I probably have 20, might think I have enough if I get to 25 or 30. For what it's worth, I read in a Frank Sinatra biography/picture book that he had about 40 hats.

tealseal

A-List Customer
One for every pair of shoes my wife has.
lol !
I think a lot of it has to do with what your hatjectives are. I'm not a collector, so too many hats for me is when I no longer wear a hat as part of my rotation. I only wear felts, so season isn't an issue, but my tastes in hats have changed so some have to go. I'm also the kind of person for whom each hat MUST have a purpose.
My grandfather, an engineer for Bell Telephone, had two hats. One for his daily suits, one for his Sunday dress. Both were blue-grey. I find that interesting.

I am something of a collector, and as such I'm reluctant to part with a vintage hat. This is not to say that I won't or don't, though.

I have many old hats (somewhere between 50 and a hundred, I guess) I rarely (if ever) wear, but I like having them around to study and admire, and for that reason I doubt I would ever sell them, except perhaps to a fellow aficionado whom I trust would accord such a survivor the treatment it deserves.

And then there are the hats that I know I'll never wear, usually because they don't fit me (and I don't wish to resize them, as that would, in my view, diminish their value) and sometimes because they just don't suit my style. Those I sometimes pass along, often for less scratch than I might get for them, because I prefer they go to someone who'll treat 'em right. And sometimes I sell (or give) a hat to someone I like and who would appreciate having it. Nice guys may not always finish first, but letting 'em know they're appreciated helps make up for the losses.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I don't collect hats, I wear them. I DO have one of my great uncle's hats, a blue wool one from the 1940's or so. He died in 1957 here in Oklahoma City where I live now. I think the interstate is built over his old parking lot.

I try to only have one fedora and one cowboy hat in each color. I don't have all of the colors yet, but I'm running out of space in my one bedroom apartment.

Later

TomS

One Too Many
I keep about 5 at any one time. The herd usually consists of one or two vintage, a beater, and a couple of customs. The exact count fluctuates, but when a new one comes in an old one goes out. I could easily accumulate 50 or 60, but I try to limit my sickness to things I will regularly use.
Best,
Tom

"too many" means actually counting...who's counting?
Hats come & they go...what critical mass amasses, I don't track....I do sell ones that I don't see getting adequate noggin time.
All of mine get worn except 1 that was my dad's & 2 that were my grandfather's....
Basically, you can never have too many hats....

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Philosophically and/or logically speaking, I have one head so more than one hat could be considered too many. But I do like more than one color, if not more than one general shape. So I'll say three is enough.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I think of hat's in season's winter and summer. An I am always looking to increase the quality of the ones in those two seasons. I also have hats that I wear to work and those that never see work. So I have lot's head room on how much is too much.

Last edited:

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
For all of you who wear a size 7 1/4 and you are feeling guilty about having "too many" hats, please send them to me. :) I sincerely want to help you get rid of that awkward guilty feeling. Color doesn't matter. No need to thank me because ......... I just like helping. :D

Edward

Bartender
I'm so picky about matching hats to outfits (a luxury very few would have had back in the day, but then so too would be my dozen or so leather jackets and flight jackets...) that while I have (including caps) in the region of three dozen hats (not including novelty souvenir hats like the Soviet 1920s pixie style cap), all get worn regularly. I don't buy hats (or other vintage) that are too small for me, as I can't justify the storage space or the acquisition cost for stuff that has collectability value but I cannot take out and actually use. I still have a long list of hats I "need", though after that it will slow down significantly and I will only be picking up pieces that I chance across which are extremely special.

dixharp

New in Town
Like guitars (or in my case harmonicas) - always one more than you already have. A gentleman can never have too many accessories in my view..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner