How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Feb 12, 2017.

1. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Use the links that @Blackadder provided and save some cash! I agree that of the two hides (horse and this) this one is probably better. You can even out the tones easily with some dye and a rag.

ton312 likes this.
  2. roadking04

roadking04 Practically Family

How does the redyed area wear/patina? Does it wear off quicker than the original?

3. ton312

ton312

I missed those! Which thread?

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Jin431 likes this.
  5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I had good luck dyeing a Cidu leather jacket, but I sold it, so I can’t answer how it has worn over time. The dye job has done just fine on my Redwing boots though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    roadking04 likes this.
  6. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    Did you use Fiebings Leather Dye? I think I remember your pic. To even out a fake patina, would you recommend diluting Fiebings dye?

Jin431 likes this.
  7. Mrfrown

Mrfrown A-List Customer

@ton312 it also seems pretty likely you could request one without the pre-distressing and not see much (or any?) cost increase.

ton312 likes this.
  8. ton312

ton312

$220 on Taobo. If I could only figure out how the Hell to use the site. Created account, can’t add to cart. I quit. NEXT!

El Marro, tmitchell59 and Mrfrown like this.
  9. ton312

ton312

I did offer the mr. rebel a chance to price match the taobao site. I suspect that will end our email communications. $220 sounds like a fair gamble. $480?...
    7C13F630-CE55-4809-B0D1-1BCEF5E16242.gif

Mich486 and Mrfrown like this.
  10. Mrfrown

Mrfrown A-List Customer

I actually emailed JL about potentially making this for me:

upload_2020-9-20_18-23-11.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-20_18-23-48.jpeg

To me it basically looks like a highwayman with double western yoke and I like the angled chest pocket.

I’m thinking of a heavier leather with blanket lining.

Takeaway for me is at least the Rebel folks are doing a good job curating interesting styles.

Depending on what they say at JL (especially about the cost!) I may put shelve the idea for when I have the cash for a custom highwayman and use Thurston for the fitting.

11. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

That instagram page takes great photos for sure. Looks a lot like a freewheeler mulholland with a different back yoke. I'm having something similar made by JL. Good luck with the project.

Mich486, El Marro and Mrfrown like this.
  12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

What is that? It’s lovely...

13. Mrfrown

Mrfrown A-List Customer

It’s another one from the Rebel instagram.

Maybe I just love orange/tan?

Hmmmmm

handymike and Psant25 like this.
  14. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I like the designs, but the leather...This is why I keep thinking about Five Star. For $200 you can get it in good leather.

Mrfrown likes this.
  15. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Man I like that! Not normally A fan of faux aging but I would make an exception for that jacket.

ton312 likes this.
  16. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Agreed on five star, they offer goat 1.2mm, steer hide seal/russet 1.4mm, horse hide (out of stock)

17. Mrfrown

Mrfrown A-List Customer

Hmm tempting on the steerhide.

edit- do you have any experience with how they handle the different linings they offer?

Jin431 likes this.
  18. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

There was a recent thread here about a seal steerhide a1 and the leather looked good (grainy and rich). Thinking of getting that for a cafe racer too.

Not yet, I just ordered a trucker last week and it's still en route. I do know they offer cotton/satin/twill/silk.

Mrfrown likes this.
  19. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

After almost 6 years since deposit and 2.5 years since any updates I'm finally out of the GW game.

I decided enough was enough and asked for a refund. At this point even if I got the jacket it would always be soured for me, what's the point of having a jacket that has bad juju? they are supposed to bring us joy.

To his credit, John emailed me almost instantly and refunded my money. He did apologise profusely and says he will be hiring extra staff next year as he is very well aware things are curently out of control. Hopefully he does sort things out for those still waiting, despite all this he does seem like a pretty stand up guy, its just a shame things went this way.

Goodluck to those sticking it out!

The question now is, do I get a resized ELMC Cali or give Bill Kelso's Surrogates a go?

My Walnut 40L ELMC Cali was fine as a place holder but my 42R Black cali is a better fit.

20. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

6 years, that's just crazy. makes you wonder how many people are waiting up until now. Too bad it didn't work out for you.

All the best with your next project.

Fonzie and ProteinNerd like this.