Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

marker2037

Practically Family
Total impulse buy. An IG purchase from hoosier_clothing_store. Saw that it was a 36, reached out for measurements and next thing I know I'm sending payment...

Communication was excellent. Fast shipping. They marked the jacket as "polyurethane" w/ a low value on the shipping/import slip, which I thought was awesome. They even threw in a FW t-shirt as a gift (the one I'm wearing in the photo). Overall great seller if anyone is ever interested in buying from them. I had a really great experience.

I've always wanted a jacket that has a collar like this ever since I saw a picture of old vintage Californian years ago. RMC made a reproduction of that Californian jacket. @tmitchell59 had/has that RMC jacket. Bootleggers had a version of this jacket in goatskin back before they were called FW. Besides those two, I can't think of any other makers that made a jacket that has this exact collar. I think it's pretty cool and unique.

As @dudewuttheheck can attest after owning his for a while, this deerskin is SO soft. Fit is pretty snug, but despite that it's instantly one of my most comfortable jackets. Loving this thing! Onto the pics.

View attachment 416267 View attachment 416268 View attachment 416269
Perfect fit man. Perfect. I have been dying for a deerskin in my next jacket and I would love to find one in only a slightly different color than this. Something with a bit more reddish in it would be perfect for me.

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Unbelievable. It looks like it was made to measure. And then deerskin too. My envy is with you. ;)

Haha thank you. Sleeves are a tad long but I actually like sleeves on a leather jacket to fit a bit longer if the rest of the jacket fits right. And yes, the deerskin is really remarkable.

Perfect fit man. Perfect. I have been dying for a deerskin in my next jacket and I would love to find one in only a slightly different color than this. Something with a bit more reddish in it would be perfect for me.

Thanks! Deerskin is super comfortable. Maybe it’s worth to see if you can source your own deerskin and send to Johnson Leathers and have them make you something. I’m not sure if there are any makers doing a deerskin jacket with a reddish brown color.

Last edited:

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haha thank you. Sleeves are a tad long but I actually like sleeves on a leather jacket to fit a bit longer if the rest of the jacket fits right. And yes, the deerskin is really remarkable.

Thanks! Deerskin is super comfortable. Maybe it’s worth to see if you can source your own deerskin and send to Johnson Leathers and have them make you something. I’m not sure if there are any makers doing a deerskin jacket with a reddish brown color.

Johnson Leathers can most likely source for a custom order.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
8A1C40DB-F2E0-41CD-BEF1-52DD66400113.jpeg

dannyk

One Too Many
Ive recently really come around on Schott. After the search for an elusive perfect that doesnt exist...after trying so many styles and leathers, vintage, repro.....sometimes a simple black cross zip cannot be beat. They wont win any awards for stitching, or best or most exotic leather, they wont win any innovation awards....they are just a simple yet effective black cross zip. The quintessential design. I have loved most of my jackets at some point despite selling or trading so many of them....yet I kept my 618hh it just works despite it not being anything special.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Having owned way too many Schotts for any normal person LOL, here's my thoughts.

The 100 series leather is spectacular assuming these two things: you don't ride and you want a flat matte look without much development. It is buttery soft with just a few wears, develops nice creases, drapes well, is hefty, and is pure bad assery. The 118 is my bury me in it jacket. Super comfortable yet has all the swagger. To the person on the street who wants to touvh your sleeve to see what the leather is like, this jacket will blow them away. It's cut longer and you can get more of a trim fit by going down one or even two sizes if that's what you want. Otherwise it does have a more relaxed fit.

600 steerhide series leather is very top coat heavy and is better suited for riding. If you are going to wear as your daily go to jacket, I think in a handful of years you'll have a well developed piece of leather with more character than the 118. But I had a version or two that were at least 30-40 years old and they still felt plasticky because of the top coat. In a few areas where it had worn down, it was spectacular and grainy. Some subtle differences with hardware (i.e. 118 has snap for the buckle, 618 does not). Long story short, if you're just looking for fashion, I'd go elsewhere if leather "quality" is your thing. Not that it's bad, it's just made for different purposes. The silhouette though is classic icon, no doubt about that.

Horsehide on the 613 SH model (can't confirm what the other horsehide is like, i.e. 613 HH or 618 HH). Has top coat, but much thinner than the usual 600 steer hide. With about 50 wears, getting wet a few times, it's mostly gone. Not like a sponge like the 118, will still repel some water, but unlike the 600 steerhide, it's gotten very soft, almost to 100 series level and much grainier. To me this is best of both worlds. It is shiny though and I haven't seen much dulling yet. The cut of the 613 SH is classic perfecto with some different details (i.e. different belt style, etc.) but has the narrow shoulders, super trim fit and imo the perfect length. No underarm footballs. It is classic punk rock.

I've had and tried on multiple Per models and generally speaking they are all really nice. A lot though are based on 600 series leather but usually they upgrade the hardware (a lot will have Talon) and the liners. Occasionally there are some Per models with CXL or other special leather, and these are dollar for dollar in line with anything else in this price range. There are also some collab models that are super nice, especially the 3-16 collabs.

500 series is very soft and pliable, fairly grainy, but kind of scrotum like LOL, and definitely shiny. I really liked 519 but I just preferred my 118 overall. It just felt more legit and even though I classified it as more of a fashion jacket, it still screams biker, just has more fashion like attributes. The 519 however was pure fashion top to bottom.

If I had to start over again, I'd either get a 118 in 38 (mine right now is a 40 that I've gotten wet and put in the sun a few times to shrink some) and then I'd add the stars to scratch that itch. Or I'd get a size 42 613SH and shrink down some. Right now I have a 40 that I really had to spend some time getting wet and wearing extra thick hoodies, etc. So I basically have a hoodie zipped up one and a more tight fitting, unzipped tshirt only one. It's real first world problems LOL.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
600 steerhide series leather is very top coat heavy and is better suited for riding. If you are going to wear as your daily go to jacket, I think in a handful of years you'll have a well developed piece of leather with more character than the 118. But I had a version or two that were at least 30-40 years old and they still felt plasticky because of the top coat.

Wait till you see @Imuricecreamman mid-80s 618

87FA8294-A980-41F8-8EDB-81D4653BF39B.jpeg

AA00D495-CBD9-4460-9F4A-2DDD9AFF9C1A.jpeg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Having owned way too many Schotts for any normal person LOL, here's my thoughts.

The 100 series leather is spectacular assuming these two things: you don't ride and you want a flat matte look without much development. It is buttery soft with just a few wears, develops nice creases, drapes well, is hefty, and is pure bad assery. The 118 is my bury me in it jacket. Super comfortable yet has all the swagger. To the person on the street who wants to touvh your sleeve to see what the leather is like, this jacket will blow them away. It's cut longer and you can get more of a trim fit by going down one or even two sizes if that's what you want. Otherwise it does have a more relaxed fit.

600 steerhide series leather is very top coat heavy and is better suited for riding. If you are going to wear as your daily go to jacket, I think in a handful of years you'll have a well developed piece of leather with more character than the 118. But I had a version or two that were at least 30-40 years old and they still felt plasticky because of the top coat. In a few areas where it had worn down, it was spectacular and grainy. Some subtle differences with hardware (i.e. 118 has snap for the buckle, 618 does not). Long story short, if you're just looking for fashion, I'd go elsewhere if leather "quality" is your thing. Not that it's bad, it's just made for different purposes. The silhouette though is classic icon, no doubt about that.

Horsehide on the 613 SH model (can't confirm what the other horsehide is like, i.e. 613 HH or 618 HH). Has top coat, but much thinner than the usual 600 steer hide. With about 50 wears, getting wet a few times, it's mostly gone. Not like a sponge like the 118, will still repel some water, but unlike the 600 steerhide, it's gotten very soft, almost to 100 series level and much grainier. To me this is best of both worlds. It is shiny though and I haven't seen much dulling yet. The cut of the 613 SH is classic perfecto with some different details (i.e. different belt style, etc.) but has the narrow shoulders, super trim fit and imo the perfect length. No underarm footballs. It is classic punk rock.

I've had and tried on multiple Per models and generally speaking they are all really nice. A lot though are based on 600 series leather but usually they upgrade the hardware (a lot will have Talon) and the liners. Occasionally there are some Per models with CXL or other special leather, and these are dollar for dollar in line with anything else in this price range. There are also some collab models that are super nice, especially the 3-16 collabs.

500 series is very soft and pliable, fairly grainy, but kind of scrotum like LOL, and definitely shiny. I really liked 519 but I just preferred my 118 overall. It just felt more legit and even though I classified it as more of a fashion jacket, it still screams biker, just has more fashion like attributes. The 519 however was pure fashion top to bottom.

If I had to start over again, I'd either get a 118 in 38 (mine right now is a 40 that I've gotten wet and put in the sun a few times to shrink some) and then I'd add the stars to scratch that itch. Or I'd get a size 42 613SH and shrink down some. Right now I have a 40 that I really had to spend some time getting wet and wearing extra thick hoodies, etc. So I basically have a hoodie zipped up one and a more tight fitting, unzipped tshirt only one. It's real first world problems LOL.
Great write up. Pre pandemic I had a Schott store 5 miles away. I did a little bit of trying on but always felt a bit awkward because it seemed like the staff was commission based and i knew that i’d likely go the “good conditioned preowned” route. I did buy a great deck jacket from them and foolishly sold it. Presently Near me 2 shops stock 6 different perfecto models. On the way is a 38 118. It should afford me room to zip and layer. As noted in another infamous thread I have a RMC j24. Comparing the two is a little golden delicious vs honeycrisp. Problem is 20# pandemic weight is stuck on me and zippered the j24 is a bit snug for my liking (Passively in the classifieds).

dubpynchon

One Too Many
New custom Field Leathers Manhattan with two detachable mouton collars…. Greg has done a really fantastic job once again - due to arrive next week!
That black collar looks sweet. I see on Greg's instagram that he can do the diamond shapes on leather now - gnarly!

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Funny timing with the recent Schott talk in thread.

This 519 collab with Nordstrom of all places is on its way. Curious about the leather, and the lighter satin lining is a plus in my warmer climate. I already have the Langlitz for hard-wearing motorcycle vibes. Hopefully this can take the more casual end of the spectrum

If it doesn’t work out will probably aim for a 613 or 613s

8F84AAE4-AF90-4E56-999E-50FE17850193.jpeg

This 519 collab with Nordstrom of all places is on its way. Curious about the leather, and the lighter satin lining is a plus in my warmer climate. I already have the Langlitz for hard-wearing motorcycle vibes. Hopefully this can take the more casual end of the spectrum

View attachment 418541
I saw one at Nordstrom Rack yesterday- size small was too tight on me. Nice jacket, not as heavy as the Schott Perfectos I remember, but nice.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 418541
awesome. that lining is great. I had it in my 641xx. The leather assuming it's the 500 series is really nice, soft, pliable, but substantial. It has a bit of that scrotum texture though LOL. Medium should fit you as Tshirt only. I remember I had a large and it was on the big side. The medium was really snug but doable. Certainly going to be rocker fit.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
awesome. that lining is great. I had it in my 641xx. The leather assuming it's the 500 series is really nice, soft, pliable, but substantial. It has a bit of that scrotum texture though LOL. Medium should fit you as Tshirt only. I remember I had a large and it was on the big side. The medium was really snug but doable. Certainly going to be rocker fit.

Hah yeah the texture thing is funny. Hope it doesn’t actually bother me on arrival, I don’t expect it to. I really liked the naked leather, wish there a 118s.

Fingers crossed!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Hah yeah the texture thing is funny. Hope it doesn’t actually bother me on arrival, I don’t expect it to. I really liked the naked leather, wish there a 118s.

Fingers crossed!
yeah, I'm not a fan of 618 (which is pretty much 118s) leather for fashion wear. Plus I like the hardware layout and length better on the 118. What you can do is what I did and downsize on the 118 and effectively make it a 118s (but you still have the footballs). I have a 40 with a 41.5 chest and it was still pretty big. A couple of washes, time in the sun and even some dryer time probably brought it down to a size 39.

You could probably squeeze into a size 38. Ask Schott for the size chart just in case. Worst case, there's a 40 on Ebay now for pretty cheap. Ask for a pic of the pocket tag though to make sure it's a 118.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165431973142?hash=item2684839516:g:qm4AAOSwz~NiVxml

But hopefully the 519 works out. I really liked mine but just found myself going back to the 118 more. It felt more legit LOL. And then I ended up with a 613sh because you know, this place is bad influence, but essentially it was just to get some stars and try out the horsehide. Probably could have saved my self a bunch of money and time by just putting some starts on my 118 and calling it a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner