Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Old Are The Members of The Fedora Lounge?

what's your age group

• under 25

Votes: 50 16.0%
  • 25-35

Votes: 71 22.7%
  • 36-45

Votes: 48 15.3%
  • 45-and over

Votes: 144 46.0%

• Total voters

Bobbi B.

New in Town
I will happily admit to being over thirty. Any more than that, it'll take more than one Singapore Sling* to elicit. And maybe not even then. A girl must must retain some mystery, after all!

At work, I'm occasionally kidded about "commuting from the 1940s," and that's just fine; even a modest income these days provides creature comforts only the very wealthy could afford sixty years ago. Set your sights on a 1937-47 lifestyle and you can live like royalty. (Minus the palace and servants, >sigh<).

Bobbi B.

Originally posted by BogieMcFly
What exactly did the 60's kids "screw up" ?

Just name it and you can bet they either tried to screw it up or succeeded enormously. You can start with the family and marriage and run it all the way down to taking responsibility for your actions. The decline in these things started with the hippie mentality that gave them the "freedom" to think they were entitled to just about anything without consequences---particularly my income. :confused:
I know that hippies made up only about 25% of that generation but they sure managed to make their impact on the culture. Just for allowing Nehru jackets and bell-bottoms they should be shunned. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Fedora

Vendor
I am 53, going on 18.LOL This body may be getting older, but my mind is as childish as it was when I was 12. My wife reminds me of this on a daily basis. Fedora

Bobbi B.

New in Town
Oh, BBanzai, if there weren't a bunch of different horses, they couldn't have a race, and politics is the same way. There have to be some of each. (Except maybe for the Whigs here in the States -- they've dropped right out of sight! Father will be most vexed).

Besides, there are things so much easier to work on, like, "does this tie match?" and "Where did she get those shoes?" And we can individually have a lot more impact on those issues, as well. Starting out properly groomed is half the battle -- which even candiates for office realize!

Jamespowers, I am pretty sure bell bottomed trousers were making their second non-sailor appearance in fashion, yes, even men's fashions, in the 1960s; didn't they pop up briefly in the 1930s? ...Not, thankfully, in the tatty, tattered blue denim version favored by Baby Boomers but belled nevetheless. Wide-legged, pegged-bottom zoot suit slacks were a sort of reaction to bells.

Bobbi B.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
49, and also a lifelong liberal.

(Being fascinated with retro and simultaneously progressive certainly isn't any odder than being a scientist who's also very religous, and there have been plenty of those!)

Originally posted by Bobbi B.
Jamespowers, I am pretty sure bell bottomed trousers were making their second non-sailor appearance in fashion, yes, even men's fashions, in the 1960s; didn't they pop up briefly in the 1930s? ...Not, thankfully, in the tatty, tattered blue denim version favored by Baby Boomers but belled nevetheless. Wide-legged, pegged-bottom zoot suit slacks were a sort of reaction to bells.

Pants from the 30s may have had flaired bottoms but even they were not as large as some that came later and, as you noted, they were made from much better materials that did not make one look like they habited the streets and countrysides roaming aimlessly. ;)
Ah, the pegged leg. When is that going to come back intop fashion? We get everything else. Did I forget to mention Leisure Suits? LOL

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Notice how the sailors were forced to wear those pants?

Originally posted by BBanzai
38 (and as a proud liberal, definitely feeling a little out of place around here!)

I was writing of the 60s generation and not necessarily denigrating liberalism. That is an entirely different subject. Obviously at your age you do not fit into the category. ;) I always appreciate a different point of view anyway. For some reason they usually buttress mine. LOL
Welcome. Sit a spell. Have a tall cold one. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Fedora
As long as you are a patriotic American, you will be at home.

Ahhh, errrr...where does that leave me (and Kilgour Trout...and Farnham54...and others)?

Just a reminder that the Lounge is universal and multi-national,

David

Fedora

Vendor
Ahhh, errrr...where does that leave me (and Kilgour Trout...and Farnham54...and others)?

Uh, ah.....that leaves you in Canada? LOL Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted liberals to feel at home in a right wing forum.;) You know how us Southerners are. Hospitable.:D Fedora

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Originally posted by BBanzai
38 (and as a proud liberal, definitely feeling a little out of place around here!)

You're not alone. I'm 31 and a VERY proud, very active (old fashioned) liberal. I come from a long line of proud and very active liberals, with many members of my family working as high level government officials and diplomats. We're still around and still working hard.

kamikat

Bobbi B.

New in Town
The logic almost parses: it would have to be a "right hat" forum, because no-one wants to wear the wrong hat and you can't wear a left hat at all (so that's how bellhops get fine chapeaus to wear in their off hours!).

However, the evidence suggests you can wear the right hat even if you're left. FDR, for instance, had decent taste in hats. I'm not sure about Eugene V. Debs (much farther to the left!). It might be that hats are a kind of centrist phenomonon.... ;) Get 'em too far to one side or another and, gents especially, they won't stay on! (It may be that we need more hat-wearing Presidents, but that sort of speculation strains at the bounds of proper conversational manners).

Certainly we may be assured that, "the rain falleth upon the just and the unjust alike;" so it makes sense that people with merely differing conceptions of justice might be equally shielded from the rain, sun, etc.. Why not?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Hi guys. I am having a debate with someone on my staff about the average age of our members. I know this thread is a year old, but there is no point in starting a new one. Everybody chime in. Lets find out. Help me with this debate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy