Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Old Are The Members of The Fedora Lounge?

what's your age group

• under 25

Votes: 50 16.0%
  • 25-35

Votes: 71 22.7%
  • 36-45

Votes: 48 15.3%
  • 45-and over

Votes: 144 46.0%

• Total voters

The Captain

One of the Regulars
I hate to admit it, but I have TIES older than most of you guys and I bought them new! I was born in '35, (the year of the Braddock/Baer fight, to give you a reference point.) I was six when Pearl was bombed and had three family members there. They all survived and I heard many stories of them laying on the grass, firing their rifles at the Japanese planes that were so low they could see the pilots plainly. I remember the sea of brown-clad men, marching towards the railroad station, going off to fight a war that will last for years. I remember when it all was over and the euphoria that permeated everyone. I remember when President Roosevelt passed away and my mother crying. I remember seeing Harry Truman walking down the street in Omaha, waving to the throngs that lined the street. Imagine any president doing that now. I remember the first time I heard Elvis on the radio. I remember..... maybe too much.

Richard

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sir, being only of age 26 I really have a deep appreciation of your generation. I believe you witnessed some of the most important events of our time. I drive a 46 Plymouth, wear clothing from the period, dance the jitterbug, listen to 78rpm records, I have my room decked out with furniture of the late 30's... I try and see what life might have been like in those days. I feel that I missed out on something. I guess I kind of did. Days when people respected a president no matter what party he was. Well, the respect of not shooting at him or shouting rude comments.

I love hearing about those days and wish I could go and experience it first hand for a day. I know that will never happen, but I get enjoyment out of living it through others who had.

I look forward to more stories of you life.

Root.

Thanks Captain, you remind me of the things that my father likely went through due to the similarity in age. Did you serve in Korea as well?
Sometimes we forget that many have seen just a bit more than we have and they have experienced things that we could only dream of. I never think of age as an encumberance---more of a learning experience. ;) Eventually, I guess you know enough to know you don't know enough yet. :)

Regards to all,

J

Imahomer

Practically Family
Re: Pull the plug?

Originally posted by Andykev
Holy smokes...don't you guys have 3/50? You'd be loosing money at my company at that age.

Yep, we sure do and my days are numbered. I've probably got another year to go, give or take a month.

Sounds like the public safety retirement plan where they get 3% of their salary for every year worked up to 99%. You can retire at age 50 with 99% of your salary for the rest of your days. Thus the 3/50. I could be wrong though.
Sweet deal but I do not want to have to deal with scumbags and the injured for a living for 30 years to get it. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Gershomite

New in Town
Well, I suppose this is what one gets for sifting through the archives. 46 as of November. However, thanks to a rigorous training regimen, an eye for proper diet, and generous amounts of sleep, I only look 45 & 1/2.

Gersh

farnham54

A-List Customer
Gentlemen, it's good to grow up--NOT to grow old. I don't mean that in any offensive way, either. You are only as old as you think, in my opinion. I'm 19 though so maybe that's just the "Young Whippersnapper" talking :)

In all seriousness, I hope you all live to be one hundred years old all spent in good health. Starting from Today.

Regards,

Craig

BogieMcFly

New in Town
I'm 15... born 50 years after the 30's had ended... such a shame too. I agree - fashion is terrible these days. I'm told by a lot of adults that I'm an "old soul." I listen to Big Band and Swing instead of heavy metal and rap, The Beatles instead of Punk, and Country instead of techno. I wear my Akubra (Federation regular, brown) every day to school (and I actually think I've started a small, small trend). It's a little difficult to fit in with the average high school sophomore, or any student for that matter, but I don't mind. I love the 30's and 40's... probably mostly because of film and TV, Bogart and Indiana Jones, but that's not a problem to me.

Oh well... I'm unique. I'm also the only current student at my school to have ever spent a whole lunch period praying a Rosary. lol I've done that several times.

In Christ,
Shane

Tyto

New in Town
Looks as if I'm in more contemporary company than I'd assumed--I'm 32. I don't really do vintage ($$ and sizing), but I certainly admire the Golden Age style, particularly the lids.

Ren: the gent on your knee indicates to me that you probably won't have to worry about meaning in your life for a long time to come. :)

Well Bogart, your post is quite poignant because I was just telling a person today that it is the new generation coming up that will fix everything the 60s generation screwed up. I think you are a very good example of that.
It is likely your parents are not much older than I but I can see that they raised you correctly. I have been hoping that my generation was going to do that. It is not easy to throw the Titanic in reverse but I expect your generation to do great things---especially passing on the values and old ways. :D
Some say that the next generation is slovenly and the like but I am not seeing that from those I see and talk to. They are no fools and will not believe just anything they are told. Clearly the mark of a new generation that will think for itself---despite the deplorable state our government schools are in.

Regards to all,

J

BogieMcFly

New in Town
Please, call me Shane or McFly... (that's not my last name by the way, that's an homage to Back to the Future) I'm used to those from COW, but there's already a Bogie1943 here, and calling me "Bogart" will confuse me, as much as I'd like to be a Bogart. lol

I don't know - what I see of my generation doesn't look too impressive. You must be talking to the small, good percentage. Also, I may help make my generation look better than it is, but that's just me. I am pretty unique - there aren't many teenagers today who are considering Priesthood. I take my faith very seriously, and a lot of the kids at my school are athiest. Very disappointing.

What exactly did the 60's kids "screw up" ?

In Christ,
Shane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy