Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to adjust clip-on earrings

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hello ladies, after buying some earrings with loose paddle-back clips, I started looking about how to repair them. This may have been posted around here before, but I am honestly too lazy to sift through all of the threads that come up when I search for "clip on" or " clip-on"! In any case, this may be useful to some of you.

There are very good instructions for fixing earrings with loose clip-on backs, and also instructions on how to loosen the backs if they are so tight on your ears that you're ready to rip them off after only having them on for an hour!

http://earringinformation.com/wst_page4.html

Brooksie

One Too Many
I will check this out, I have a couple of pair of really beautiful rhinestone ones and a very pretty pair with ruby's (I don't asume they are real but they were my g-ma's) and I can't even stand to just have them on my earlobe for even a few minutes. I have considered taking them to a jewler and seeing if they can turn them in to peirced ones.

LB

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Awesome! I have this gorgeous blue set that hurts my ears so much I thought they had actually cut me the first time I wore them! Fortunately not, but I shall be adjusting them.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Awesome! I have this gorgeous blue set that hurts my ears so much I thought they had actually cut me the first time I wore them! Fortunately not, but I shall be adjusting them.

Yes, I was thinking of your when I posted this :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Update: usually clip-ons that I have either completely kill me with their pinchiness, or they fall off. Today, I'm wearing a pair of Trifaris that I got in the mail yesterday. They have a simple clip back like this:
image004.jpg
They were too loose and slid down my earlobes. I tightened them and they were too tight. Thoughout the morning, I've been doing small adjustments on them and now they are very comfortable, staying in place and not hurting at all!

I never imagined that clip-ons could not hurt :)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
This is quite helpful as, like many of you ladies, I own more tight uncomfortable ones than comfortable! I know how to tighten loose ones (you basically just push the base of the clip upwards) so this is great, thanks for posting! A good tip is to use those tiny rubber comfort pads pushed through the clip (although obviously you can't use these for the single clips) and just alternate them, no need to buy a pair for every set you have. They help immensely with the discomfort.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
StaceFace said:
Glad you did so! I have quite a few of the old screwback earrings that need some adjusting.

But screwbacks don't require adjusting! You adjust them every time you screw them onto your ears...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
But screwbacks don't require adjusting! You adjust them every time you screw them onto your ears...

True...unless a part is actually bent out of its -normal- shape..

Then you gently bend it back with either fingers or pliers...

Maybe she is thinking that its bent, and not in the right spot to close.

If they are not a nice U shape like these ones, you might need to adjust so that the screw part actually tightens in the right place.

402359P.jpg

(yea..i know..those are ugly and modern, but I did not want to put up vintage ones that were for -sale- and have a stampede.)

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Great tips ladies!! I have some old earrings that were my mom and grandmothers that i'd love to wear but are too uncomfortable..
I did have a couple of pairs made into peirced styles a few years ago and do wear those on occasion too.. Yes i know i ruined them and lessoned the value but to me they are family heirlooms and i wear them happily.. I'd never sell them anyway...

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

Some of them, like Miss Neecerie said, need to be bent back into place. But I guess this link won't really help me there, will it? Oops :eek: It's still a good resource!

Miss Neecerie - You could not have picked a better example of screwback earrings :p

Naama

Practically Family
Ah, I never wore clip-ons because I thought they are always thight and uncomfortable! Maybe I should give them another try :)

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24