Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Motorcycle pants - How to determine age or era of build?

ShadowBoxer

Familiar Face
Hi,
Yesterday I just received a second-hand pair of Langlitz Western pants in goatskin.
I was not sure about the measurements. Of course I would only buy something (new or used) that fit and had the correct measurements. You never really know for sure though until you try the thing on.

I am still not completely sure even after wearing them for a day. The hip is a bit loose and the thighs and rear seem extra loose until I sit down, so maybe it's correct for motorcycle gear as intended and as I will sometimes use them.

Overall I like them. There is some abrasion from a "low speed crash" but a girlfriend said that just adds character. Otherwise they seem to have very little wear. Goatskin seems to stay almost new looking for a long time.

I'm not actually sure how old they are. The story was the previous owner bought them from Langlitz' Used rack back in the 1980s. Does anyone here know how to date these? Talon zips: Rectangular main pull and sort of key-hole shaped pulls at the calfs. There is a rivet at the base of the zipper seam.

These are actually my second pair of Langlitz moto-pants.
The first ones I bought (also used) are Competition Breeches. These seem quite old and have a lot more damage but are very cool and I enjoy them in spite of the wear and tear.

I hope someone here can help me date these and teach us how to determine a reasonable guess of the date of manufacture.
I'll post pix later when the sun is up.

Cheers.

Dating Langlitz gear is something I'd best leave to Langlitz. Otherwise, best guess anyone'd be able to give you here is the one you have already heard.

Langlitz customer service is seriously the best one around. Take some good photos of the pants and send an email them directly. You'll know everything you wanted to know about these pants before lunchtime.

EDIT: Just saw Sweetfights reply but yeah, seconded.

ShadowBoxer

Familiar Face
Just sent an email with pix to Langlitz. We'll see if I get a response in the next few days. If they give me any information I'll update here.
Here are the pix I sent.

Langlitz Competition Breeches:
There is only one small pocket at the right hip. Scovill again for the main front zip.
IMG_4577-M.jpg
IMG_4581-M.jpg
IMG_4582-M.jpg

I have never seen a pair of Langlitz with knee pockets. For pads I presume. Anyone ever seen or heard of that?
Maybe they were "after-market" additions? Each side has Scovill zippers, but the pulls are different.
IMG_4583-M.jpg
IMG_4584-M.jpg

Right leg has damage at ankle. Obviously part of the repairs here. Questionable leather repair too.
Left leg is old but seems original.
IMG_4585-M.jpg
IMG_4586-M.jpg

Nothing at the back, but just for the sake of completion.
IMG_4592-M.jpg

Langlitz Westerns:
The rivet at the base of the zipper assembly. By the way, the Competition Breeches also have a rivet at the zipper base. I just noticed it's not visible in the close up.
IMG_4580-M.jpg
IMG_4588-M.jpg

These came with the jeans-pockets option so there are only three zippers to reference.
All Talon zippers.
IMG_4587-M.jpg
IMG_4589-M.jpg
IMG_4590-M.jpg

Again no zips on these back pockets, but just to complete the profile.
There is more damage to the back of the left leg also. Not sure how this person managed all that but aside from the scrapes, a pulled seam and a few broken threads they seem fine. Inner liner shows general wear but no holes.
IMG_4593-M.jpg

So that's it.
If no one wants to take an educated guess, we'll wait to see if Langlitz offers some info based on the clues.
At least I can add to the library of information here:
Here are what some older Langlitz riding pants look like.
Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner