Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to avoid looking like emo / rockabilly / scene ???

Goldfish

A-List Customer
At the moment I am adopting a new style :D and I just love the clothes on sites like PinUpGirlClothing, but somehow I am afraid to shop those things because I fear I end up dressed like I said above :rolleyes:.
I want to develope an unique style and try to avoid looking like her twin (she's beautiful!).
Does anyone get what I mean?

I hope you lovely ladies can help me!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I kind of know what you mean, as I don't want to be taken as a "cherry girl" (what my boyfriend and I call the rockabilly girls who dress head to toe in cherries and try to be Bettie Page look-alikes). There's not anything wrong with that style, it's just not me. I mean, I'd be a hypocrite if I condemned those girls for wanting to look like Bettie Page when I want to look like Dita von Teese!

Basically, my only advice is wear what you like. Who cares if it might be taken as rockabilly/scene/whatever? I have a ton of things in my closet that probably fall under the category of indie or yuppie-ish (I LOVE LOVE LOVE Banana Republic!), but I make it my own by how I put together my outfits and how I do my hair and makeup. Or, on my lazy days, I just decide to look like an indie/emo kid. :)

Just wear what you like and I'm sure you'll look great.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Maybe the best way to avoid it is to avoid shopping from Stop Staring and PinUpGirlClothing and such? :) Anyway, I think that if you don't like the look, you will not end up having it. Just look at what kinds of materials/fabrics (synthetic) and prints (cherries) those brands and stores sell and avoid those. Look at the hair and makeup, and try doing yours differently, more according to your own taste... Look at old magazines and movie stars and this forum, and you will learn a lot of great tricks and tips. I know I have. ;)

Naama

Practically Family
It's funny, but my sisters always make fun of me, calling me "emo" because my hair is bleached blonde and I wear red lipstick [...] and somehow, the emo friends of a friend where quite impressed by me.............. (don't ask me why)

My best advice would be; avoid cherrys, avoid strawberrys maybe also(?), avoid swallows, avoid too much tattoos, avoid the 50's (sure, if you love the 50's go for it), avoid unnatural hair colours, avoid too much eye make up, avoid too much piercings (I'm pierced but never ever got called rockabilly, but then again, I avoid the 50's :p ), avoid skullbones, yes.... I think that's all I can think of by now... Sure, there are always exceptions, but yes, following those rules, it should work ;) And yes, just wear what you like, and don't bother!

Naama

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lets make sure we dont turn this into an emo rockabilly bashing thread. They have a style that works, and good for them.

Now, that said, lets phrase this in a way that makes sense. You want a more 'vintage' style, correct? Well, you can shop at those sites, but you will have to develop an eye for the fashions that are cut more classic, than styled for those scenes.

Id say avoid the cheery stuff, or stuff with skulls. Also, look in department stores for more classic cut things (preferably where the old ladies shop) to get some basics to add as filler.

Then its the finishes of stocking, brooches, hats the gloves that will give you a polished look. Its about being polished, not trendy.

Good luck,

LD

Naama

Practically Family
Just to make sure! I wasn't bashing, not at all! Hope nobody gets it wrong!

Naama

ShortClara

One Too Many
I think if you go for what you like, you will have your own unique style. I don't want to look like a clone, but I do think the cherries are cute (I know I know!!) so I'm making myself a cherry dress on black corduroy fabric in a 50s pattern. It's still the cute cherries, but it definitely doesn't look clone-y. If you mostly go for the true vintage, you'll never look like a clone anyhow. :) Have fun, whatever you do! That's the whole point.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I don't think I will ever get over loving cherries. Hey, they did it in the 40s, so it can't be bad, right? :)
I myself am a little long in the tooth to be dressing as young as some of the emo girls, but I really don't worry about it too much. Wear what you like and the heck with what people think! If you like cherries or skulls, go with it and make it yours.
One thing about StopStaring-my own opinion is that their fabrics aren't of the best quality, even though the styles are cute for the most part. But that is just me, so take it as you will.
I tend to copy clothing I see from old magazines, books and movies-I am a bit of a purist, BUT I throw in new stuff once in awhile also. It's all about what YOU like!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I agree with several of the points made here and agree heartily with LadyDay that's it's important not to start an anti-emo/rockabilly campaign...:)

I think that the key is to make a style that is strong enough to stand as your own then you won't have to worry about any one aspect in particular be it cherry prints or swallows or whatever.....

Vintage style and elegance comes as much from how you wear something as much as what it is that you are wearing. So you may have purchased your coat from a thrift store for next to nothing and your gloves may be brand new with nothing of the vintage to them but you wear them like a lady!

I also think that it is important to remember that the 50's was such a dynamic, innovative decade that to write it off in fear of looking too much like a rockabilly would be a shame. The 50's encompasses so many different looks from echoes of the 40's in it's early years to the shifting waist lines of the later years. Don't let the cherry prints scare you away!!!!!lol ;)

I do think that LadyDay is right when she mentions that it is often the classic cut of clothes that will give you more of a vintage edge, and I often find myself in the old ladies departments too!!!!!;)

I've only been doing the vintage thing for the last 4 or 5 years and I'm still putting together different looks but I think thats part of the fun. So just enjoy yourself.

Chas

One Too Many
I used to hang out in the Rockabilly scene here in Vancouver, before it imploded. It's a long story...

I guess I sort of understand why the Betty clones are the predominate look of most 'billy girls. It's really not that interesting. I used to have quite a yen for the Mexican Rockabilly girls (I lie-I still do); they do it altogether differently. Many of them I have seen look more '40s overall than the others- lots of gardenias in their hair, and lots of up-dos.

Personally, I prefer to think of Jayne Mansfield or Mamie Van Doren as a prototypical Rockabilly gal. Or check out "Untamed Youth".

But for not wanting to "look rockabilly"?

I would suggest more 40s dresses, hats with veils and suchlike. Or dress 1930's. That would cure it. Accessorise, accessorise. Just like the ladies said, though. No cherries & no skulls.

I would add: No flames. Definitely NO flames, flaming dice, flaming skulls and such. Too cliche, even for rockabilly chicks.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Chas said:
No cherries, no skulls, no flames. Definitely NO flames.

Is this becoming an anti-cherry campaign????;)

I for one am a staunch supporter of all fruit related textiles and accessories and will take umbridge over their being scapegoated!lol

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
I am another one who loves Rockabilly when done right, but it is just not for me. And now that I have started to explore what fashion is available online (for some of us just can not sew!) I think I know what you are getting at - most sites seem to be aimed at a rockabilly/emo crowd rather than those of us looking for true vintage repro. Which is fine - that is obviously where the market is, and some people do it well.

As others have said - try and get your hands on some looks from the period - magazines, catalogues etc - and build your look on what was worn then, with your own spin of course! I love vintage, though I do mix it up a bit - 1940s and 1950s with smart looks from the current day with a 'vintage feel'. As so many people on this forum have pointed out, it is often how you wear it rather than what you wear. It's in the attitude, the accessories, your bearing. And often the undergarments! (Seriously - you want a vintage look, you have to get the underpinnings right!)

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
AllaboutEve said:
Is this becoming an anti-cherry campaign????;)

I for one am a staunch supporter of all fruit related textiles and accessories and will take umbridge over their being scapegoated!lol

As a lover of Strawberry related stuff (especially now that I can't eat them - I need my fix in other ways) I totally agree with you!!

Yes cherry prints/fruit prints are somewhat over done. Though not jsut in vintage, I also see it overdone aLOT in lolita as well. But as others have said, it's definitely how you wear it, not what you wear! If you love cherry prints, then wear them, but go for more classic styles, and use those gorgeous cotton prints, rather than horrible polyesters!! And jsut go for accents, don't overdo the whole theme, I think that's where alot of outfits fall down - cherry print combined with cherry jewellery, combined with cherry accessories = OVER THE TOP! heheh

Liz

AllaboutEve said:
I also think that it is important to remember that the 50's was such a dynamic, innovative decade that to write it off in fear of looking too much like a rockabilly would be a shame. The 50's encompasses so many different looks from echoes of the 40's in it's early years to the shifting waist lines of the later years. Don't let the cherry prints scare you away!!!!!lol ;)

Totally agree with this. The '50s was a great (and varied!) era for fashion. To avoid the "scene" look, I'd second the advice below to stay away from flames, skulls, etc. Just go with what you like and you should be fine!

As far the cherry debate...I certainly would not pass up a bakelite necklace with cherries, though the abundance of modern cherry stuff doesn't do it for me!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My look is a mish-mash of everything from the 20s to the 50s and I buy almost all of my clothes at the mall. If you have an "eye" you can put together vintage-esque modern outfits without looking too "over-the-top." Not that I have a problem with over-the-top (quite the opposite!), but this is just my advice to you.

As for me, I like cherries and skulls. I wear them in moderation, though. My hair is dyed black and cut into a Louise Brooks bob with short "Bettie" bangs. I wear real cat's eye glasses I bought in an antique shop with red lipstick. My makeup is Jean Harlow-inspired. And I have tattoos all over my arm! I really do dig all the cliches and, frankly, I don't care what others think of me :)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
what does "emo" mean?

really, i do not know, help me out here.

"Emo" is some sort of music that involves a lot of whining I think. ;) And the style of dress is more of a skinny skinny jeans, ironic t-shirt, square glasses and dyed black hair kind of thing. Right? Perhaps I'm a bit off!

Also, an easy way to separate yourself from the average rockabilly girls is to go beyond the Bettie bangs and rolls hairdo. Though those hairstyles can be totally cute (separately, at least. I'm personally not too fond of them when they are together, which is a very popular rockabilly thing), I think being able to do pincurls, waves, and more complex rolls really is a finishing touch to a vintage or vintage-inspired look.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think one thing that helps is not to be overmeticulous -- a few rough edges in ones look take it out of the realm of carefully-planned costume and into the realm of just what you wear every day.

Age also helps, alas. The older you get, the less likely you are to be seen as any part of a "scene."

Goldfish

A-List Customer
MegamiOrchard said:
I think I know what you are getting at - most sites seem to be aimed at a rockabilly/emo crowd rather than those of us looking for true vintage repro. Which is fine - that is obviously where the market is, and some people do it well.

Exactly!
I don't have anything against the rockabilly scene, the girl I posted at the beginning wears this style since years and she always looks stunning!

But it's just not what I am aiming for.
On the other side I have a hard time finding clothes which have a retro style do figure out what I am aiming for because - just like you said - the market offers clothes aimed to rockabilly people.
We don't really have any thrift stores or similar shops here to hunt for vintage clothes,except expensive stuff that I can't buy because of my student budget.
Rockabilly / Mainstream shops are in my price range and although I love love love bright colors, bodymods and kitsch, most of their stuff is TOO MUCH for me.

I guess I didn't really know what I was asking for in my first post, sorry!lol
But I will try better now:
I am thinking about a kind of more everyday dita von teese style; classy, feminine and unique, but weary wearable because I don't have access to real vintage repro.
Which pieces from mainstream and rockabilly stores will help me?
Is there any book that could help me understanding basic style essentials?
Not one that dictates style, but shows you how to make things work?

Or may I put all you fashionable ladies in my bag and taking you with me while shopping?:D

Sorry for going on your nerves with my confusing thoughts :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925