Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to avoid looking like emo / rockabilly / scene ???

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Thank you for your honest thoughts!

Of course I will dress how I feel, I always dressed my own way.

It's just that I noticed that my wardrobe basically doesn't match.
I have a lot of awesome pieces with different styles, but nothing goes well together. I have like 737373454 pieces I have basically no use for.
At the moment I am in the process of selling them piece by piece.

So I changed my goal to renewing my wardrobe and invest time and money in quality.
Starting with basic pieces, wearable in cold weather.
I would love to wear 40s dresses, but how do I make them wearable for cold weather?
Cardigans look horrible on me :( so that's no way.
I am awesome at dressing for summer, but not with clothes who keep you warm and look good.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Goldfish said:
I would love to wear 40s dresses, but how do I make them wearable for cold weather?
Cardigans look horrible on me :( so that's no way.
I am awesome at dressing for summer, but not with clothes who keep you warm and look good.

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion, too. The route I'm gonna go with is pants. Since I can't find them locally and the exchange rate makes Vivien of Holloway pants out of my league, I'm going to make some, but if you can afford them, go for it. They'd look good with any classic fitted ladies' button front blouse and loafer-type shoes
http://www.vivienofholloway.com//in...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29

The Shirt

Practically Family
I agree with Kamikat about the pants. Perhaps look for something high-waisted and maybe wide legged. Living in the land of cold - I also invested in a few 40s wool dresses this year to try and round out my look. Wool pencil skirts would work too. I think you can pull off a look in the winter that doesn't necessarily scream emo/rockabilly. I think sometimes I rely too heavily on rolled jeans and a beaded cardigan in the winter myself and was looking for ways to expand. I agree though summer dressing seems easier.
Perhaps invest in a great vintage coat?

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I have been living in these type of jeans this winter. I guess some might consider them rockabilly ?? but I must say they are so comfortable. I have several pairs. Although I do find they make me look wider in the hips than I am, but that is due to the cut, I imagine, I hope :)

289108-R1-19-19A_020.jpg

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I love your shoes Goldwyn Girl!

Winter is tough. I live in Ohio and it's pretty cold.

Today I wore black trousers, black loafers and a button up white blouse with black polka dots. A lot of my current winter wear includes pull over sweaters. You don't HAVE to wear a cardigan!

jayem

A-List Customer
In winter, it's almost impossible to be vintage all around. I live in Chicago, so you KNOW we get some bitter winters! Honestly, I just wear regular, todays fashion skinny jeans, paired with a nice vintage, or vintage inspired top and shoe. I don't buy low-waist pants, so they still look a bit vintage.

lyburnum

Practically Family
jayem said:
In winter, it's almost impossible to be vintage all around. I live in Chicago, so you KNOW we get some bitter winters! Honestly, I just wear regular, todays fashion skinny jeans, paired with a nice vintage, or vintage inspired top and shoe. I don't buy low-waist pants, so they still look a bit vintage.

I actually find it fairly easy to find vintage winter goods. All I do is make sure everything is woolen. I have a couple of pairs of high waisted wool trousers made from a 1940s pattern, and a long and a short 1940s winter coat. Generally I avoid jeans when it's bitter outside, as I don't find them warm enough. Also, thermals are a life saver!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
~Psycho Sue~ said:
It's funny to me that people want to avoid "rockabilly" look (which I love and embrace b/c it mixes with punk), I strive to avoid THE GRANDMOTHER LOOK! lol lol lol

HAHAHAHA! I mix "grandmother" with tackiness! Like, making "grandma" dresses in cherry fabric and rocking my tattoos! I somehow never look "rockabilly", though. Guess I lean more towards grandmother....

***Again, I've come a looooong way since my OP in this thread!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm generally happy with the granny image my style conjours up in people's minds because it was the style that current generations of grandmothers wore in the 50s when they were half as old as I am now so I think I'm striking a nice balance here. I've explained else where what else appeals to me about that style and it doesn't bother me if people confuse it with other retro street styles that are around. I hope everyone else are doing what feels right for them.

When I first joined I didn't understand why anyone would want to look like anyone but vintage every-day-people. This whole fascination with glamour, rockabilly, etc. was beyond my comprehension. Then I remembered my teens.....

I just mixed 50s retro/Bollywood with such ease in the 90s. At least I've finally summed my style down to 50s retro/Bollywood. I used to string a long list of words together to describe my style. That didn't help on my actual wardrobe. Now I'm just trying to focus on getting a few key elements of my style back by adapting it to my age, stage in life, what I can actually find in shops and the fact that I live in Denmark and not the sunny San Joaquin valley, CA.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Speaking from experience!

As a former scene kid myself: Rockabilly is in no way even remotely similar to the scene. Emo is confused with the scene - in fact its from a style of music with very dark themes. The scene involves crazy hair, skinny jeans, childrens barrettes, and modern music niches.

Compare my avatar with my teenage scene kid pictures:

Flowers002.jpg

CoonStripes004.jpg

laura.jpg

Laura008.jpg

Note the very straight two tone hair and heavy eyeliner.

Emo kids stick to black hair. The fashions are skulls, spikes, jeans, and the odd Japanese cartoon character. Piercings are common.

How embarassing :eek: But there you go!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
~Psycho Sue~ said:
It's funny to me that people want to avoid "rockabilly" look (which I love and embrace b/c it mixes with punk), I strive to avoid THE GRANDMOTHER LOOK! lol lol lol

The point of the thread was that the OP was trying to go for a more 'vintage' ascetic and wanted tips on how to avoid being mistaken for a Rockabilly girl.

LD

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's interesting to note so many posts in this thread citing how difficult it is for gals to go vintage in the winter. It's the opposite for many of us guys (at least, those of us who don't want to go overly casual on a daily basis). Many of us can't wait for chilly temps, so we can break out the fur felt fedoras and heavier-weight vintage suits, trousers, and sports coats.

Just an observation...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
Many of us can't wait for chilly temps, so we can break out the fur felt fedoras and heavier-weight vintage suits, trousers, and sports coats.

It's true. My summer wardrobe has a lot more variety than my winter one - Heavyweight skirts don't come with the fun details or fabrics, shoes are limited, although sweaters can be fun. Jackets are fun, but not as fun as a nice bustier!

Hats I will agree on. Autumn and winter mean my favourite mink beret and wool tams :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think the point she was making was......

If someone asked how to dress for an occasion but said they cannot wear brown....you wouldn't post about how 'brown is the greatest look and I love wearing brown and I cannot see why you won't wear brown'

Now would you?

People here have a wide variety of vintage related aesthetics, not all of which are the same or even shared by others, but we tend to try and limit ourselves to giving helpful advice, not just stating what we like when that was not what was asked for.

p.s. the sarcasm is not becoming

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My 2009 2 cents:

If you don't prefer the "rockabilly" look (or any specific look for that matter!) chances are you won't look like it or be mistaken for it if it isn't within you.

I have all the markings of a "rockabilly" chick, but I always look more "30s." It's within me. My friend told me that even when I'm in knockabout clothing and have my hair down I still emanate (sp?) "30s" (which was a pretty huge compliment!)

Sewing your own clothing can also help one avoid looking like something they don't intend to. I've never been happier with my outward appearance now that I make everything I wear!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats