Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get pale, luminous skin?

Smuterella

One Too Many
excellent, I've ordered testers of the Lily Lolo porcelain, blondie and candy cane to test.

I've also ordered the real rouge blusher and the flawless and translucent powder

I hope it all works, I need a make up that can be left on at night....given my lifestyle!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I get the best colour for my skin by mixing a tiny bit of the blondie with the porcelain. I reckon in summer blondie will be perfect. I don't recommend their finishing powder - I found it slightly pearlescent and very drying.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Lily Lolo convert! I've just started my second pot of Blondie foundation. I decided against the porcelain as I wanted a hint of skin colour on my face! I use the flawless Matte finishing powder, which I don't find pearlescent. [huh]

I haven't found it to counteract my grease though, which is a shame as I had high hopes after others said it was drying! Boo.

However, mineral foundation is useless for photoshoots so I am always looking out for a decent, pale enough normal foundation.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre,
One option to help control grease is to dust rice powder on your face as a primer. Rice powder slowly absorbs extra oil without drying the skin like Kaolin clay does or possibly irritating the skin like Silica can. Kaolin and Silica are common ingredients in oil controlling formulas. By using a gentle powder like rice powder before your foundation you will hopefully be less oily without over drying the skin. I buy mine here http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebs...n=product.display&product_ID=569&ParentCat=46

One pound is alot for personal use but it's cheap, you could also scent some of the powder with essential oils to make a body powder.

Okay, another option (without spending more money ;) ) is to just dust your finishing powder on both before and after applying foundation to get a double dose of the kaolin, just watch out for overdrying the skin. I find that using either the rice powder or the finishing powder before foundation helps my foundation glide on very smooth and even.

Missy

Mary

Practically Family
I went fleamarket shopping and found myself with some more pretty things and a tan:( . What do I do wrong?? I had sunscreen 60 and I still get a tan. I'm not red just a little burnt but I'm so surprised.

It feels impossible to stay pale. How often should one apply and do you think I might have gotten a brand that cheats and writes 60 when it's 5. Or could it be to old?

M

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Mary said:
I went fleamarket shopping and found myself with some more pretty things and a tan:( . What do I do wrong?? I had sunscreen 60 and I still get a tan. I'm not red just a little burnt but I'm so surprised.

It feels impossible to stay pale. How often should one apply and do you think I might have gotten a brand that cheats and writes 60 when it's 5. Or could it be to old?

M

Mary, perhaps you can use a sun umbrella to keep the rays away..

look at the tube of the sunscreen, there should be a little drawing on a jar with the lid of and some numbers next to it. That is how many months it can stay fresh when opened. Some suncreens lasts from 6 to 12 months.. also it normally requires a thicker layer than you would expect to get the full protection of the spf.

PS

A-List Customer
HTML:
I went fleamarket shopping and found myself with some more pretty things and a tan . What do I do wrong?? I had sunscreen 60 and I still get a tan. I'm not red just a little burnt but I'm so surprised.

You need to apply much more than a person thinks they need to. A shot glass full for your body and reapply every 2 hours or more if you are perspiring.
I aim for a teaspoon full on my face.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Darhling and PS! I applied quite a lot yesterday but will put on lots more today.

I'll look if it's old. Probably take ít to the shop and ask. Umbrella would be fine if if wasn't so windy.

But is it the same for you that you get a suntan even with these high sbf's? I thought they would block them completely. Do you think you get half the suntan or less with sunscreen spf50 or higher? I think there something called sun block but if you wear it you look really ill. Have you tried any of it?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I don't tan so easily here in the spring months, but then I am not totally pale.. For me the spf 15 or 20 is enough for me so far, but I will get a higher one for summer. Looks like it will be a fine day in Malmö again..

Mary - spf 50 should be more than enough.. but remember to stay in the shade or at least out of the sun between 12 and 15, another reason to stay inside as many shops or cosy cafés as possible :)

Mary

Practically Family
I guess I suntan easily. I did some reading on shenet, a swedish site on beauty and found out some things I didn't know. Maybe it's all common knowledge but I'll post it anyway.

UVA is what damages the skin the most. If you put on chemical sunscreen it takes 95 % or the UVA rays but only for an hour. So you need to reapply often. A t-shirt (and probably dresses and other nicer looking garments) takes 75% of those rays.

What else.. Yes those UVA sunbeams go through glass windows which UVB doesn't.

Well that's all but I found it very interesting to know that you need to apply so often. So i'll do that and see if it helps. I'm bad at staying out of the sun cause I want that summer feeling.

M

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I'm a Lily Lolo convert! I've just started my second pot of Blondie foundation. I decided against the porcelain as I wanted a hint of skin colour on my face! I use the flawless Matte finishing powder, which I don't find pearlescent. [huh]

I haven't found it to counteract my grease though, which is a shame as I had high hopes after others said it was drying! Boo.

However, mineral foundation is useless for photoshoots so I am always looking out for a decent, pale enough normal foundation.

I have oily skin too and swear by blotting sheets to combat shine during the day. They are great because they don't add or remove your make-up and soak up all the oil. I use Boots Clear skin ones.

As for pale foundation, I can heartily recommend Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation. It's pale enough for me and gives great coverage, though they've recently introduced Double Wear Light if you want a sheerer finish.

Actually recently I've been thinking that I'm too pale, almost bordering on grey! Whenever I'm next to friends in photos I look ghost white!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Mary said:

M

SPF beyond 15 means nothing -- it just means that you supposedly don't have to reapply it as often. Bring your bottle with you and reapply often! Is it broad spectrum protection?

Mary

Practically Family
Gluegungeisha, how do you mean? Why is 15 enough?

I think it's a broad spectrum protection. It says it's both UVA and UVB. And those are the only ones I have been aware of. Are there any more? It's chemical and not physical because I look awful with the physical protection ones.

M

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise said:
I have oily skin too and swear by blotting sheets to combat shine during the day. They are great because they don't add or remove your make-up and soak up all the oil. I use Boots Clear skin ones.

Oh, I swear by them too! I don't go anywhere without mine - I use the Superdrug Clarity ones. I just was hoping that mineral foundation would dry out my skin so I didn't need them! But alas not. :(

Oh and MissMissy, just read your reply, thank you. I may try the rice powder, but I am dubious that it'll work. I think putting lots and lots of powder on is not going to stop my skin producing oil - it's just the way it is unfortunately.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Mary said:
Gluegungeisha, how do you mean? Why is 15 enough?

I think it's a broad spectrum protection. It says it's both UVA and UVB. And those are the only ones I have been aware of. Are there any more? It's chemical and not physical because I look awful with the physical protection ones.

M

Here's a really helpful link that answers a lot of questions about sunscreen. Hope it helps!

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/sunscreen/a/sunscreen_myths.htm

I learned a lot about different sunscreens when I got my tattoo, since it's in a pretty conspicuous place. ;)
I use a broad spectrum, SPF 30 sunscreen. I have a big bottle of it at home, and a smaller bottle in my purse. I usually keep my tattoo covered outside, but if it happens to be bare, I reapply sunscreen to that spot constantly.

miss_elise

Practically Family
as an australian (living is a sunny country under the big hole in the ozone layer) i was so shocked when in italy, i had trouble finding SPF 12 sunscreen, let alone 15 or more...

to stay out of trouble (skin wise)
you need to slip, slop slap... (slip on a t-shirt, slop (ie. put lots on) on some sunscreen and slap on a hat)... and stay under a tree between 11 and 3

Black Swan

New in Town
my personal pale routine ;)

I am already really pale with pink undertone... like mac NW15.
But my skin is really sensitive, so i often get red spots, especially around my nose.
I tried many things, to stay white, with a lovely even skin tone... and lately I found a good combination of products ;)

First of all I put sunscreen everyday, even in winter.
Usually 30spf in winter, and 50+ in spring/summer.
I especially like japanese products because they are very light, they don't make your face looking oily or clug your pores.
Sofina is a good brand, and DHC as well. and they are also a bit colored, making your face looking white, or lucent. (you can buy them online ;))

In the evening I use Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation cream, which contains kojic acid and vitamins. it is against hyper pigmentation and worked really well against my red spots.

Once or twice a week I use Mario Badescu Whitening Mask, which helps having a even tone. no miracles eh, but if you use it constantly, it works ;)

What else... rose water, rose water.

And then find your perfect foundation, I love mineral ones because they have a natural aspect and make your skin mat + some translucent powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy